Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-02-2021, 12:10 AM   #261
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee
 
KootenayFlamesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Small town, B.C.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_Special View Post
For 2 periods I agree. Holland still needs to improve this team. They were a top 5 ES differential team in 2016/2017 and almost made the West finals. No coincidence. That has to improve. Cannot just keep "skilling" your way to wins more often than not.

Right now they basically just break even at ES and have good specials teams (PK and PP). Pk is top 5.

All Holland needs to do is improve the bottom 6. They have got better, but they have sunk them too often
I would argue the 2nd line isn't the greatest, either. Looks better when they spilt up McDrai, but we all know sooner or later they are almost always put them back together. So I consider them line 1. The problem is that their bottom 9 isn't great, and they have no cap space. So not sure how you improve it without sending high draft picks along in a trade with a salary dump.

They have two studs. A great PP (because of the two studs). They've also had a very favorable schedule so far (and play the next 6 of 7 at home).

The Oilers need the two studs to keep producing and outscoring their issues all season and into the playoffs........and more importantly, stay healthy. Need the PP to stay hot. Hope like hell one of their mediocre goalies goes on a huge hot streak. Need to keep winning games they get outplayed in.

All of that could happen. But I wouldn't bet a case of beer on it.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:11 AM   #262
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Overreaction Arena
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieHARDflameZ View Post
How does Jack Michaels get any nationally broadcasted games? He is absolutely putrid.
I’m 100% not joking. It’s because no one else would go to Edmonton for these games. They all had it written in their contracts this off season.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:13 AM   #263
Something_Special
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
With what cap?

And they certainly have better results than their play. Probably comes crashing back when they finally go on the road in the second half.
Guys can get traded. It will be tough. I don't think we are a contender though until I see our ES goal differential be top 10 and closer to top 5. With that plus special teams, they could go somewhere. I don't think Tippets system will do that.
Something_Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:14 AM   #264
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Overreaction Arena
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_Special View Post
That is where I feel positive about the team for the next few years. I think they have so much room for improvement. I don't think Tippett is the guy either. I would give Edmonton a 6/10 on the year so far, yet they are 16-5. It's not like they have a Hasek in net either. I think Holland will get them another 2/3 pieces to round them out.
With what cap room?
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:14 AM   #265
Something_Special
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I would argue the 2nd line isn't the greatest, either. Looks better when they spilt up McDrai, but we all know sooner or later they are almost always put them back together. So I consider them line 1. The problem is that their bottom 9 isn't great, and they have no cap space. So not sure how you improve it without sending high draft picks along in a trade with a salary dump.

They have two studs. A great PP (because of the two studs). They've also had a very favorable schedule so far (and play the next 6 of 7 at home).

The Oilers need the two studs to keep producing and outscoring their issues all season and into the playoffs........and more importantly, stay healthy. Need the PP to stay hot. Hope like hell one of their mediocre goalies goes on a huge hot streak. Need to keep winning games they get outplayed in.

All of that could happen. But I wouldn't bet a case of beer on it.
I agree about the 2nd line. The Oilers need another top 6 forward who plays well at evens to replace a Yammamoto. Him and Hopkins kill too many plays and Draisaitl ends up trying to do it all. Idiot coach never seems to change that 2nd line up though. I think he did in the third tonight. I don't like those 2 players with Draisaitl. Not strong enough.

You can't outscore problems. I agree. Holland has to forget we have 97/29 and build a team that would be 0.500 without them at least. That is only when they will actually be a "Contender"

It is actually infuriating for me personally. All I look at every game is how they were 5 on 5. I will excuse tonight b/c of our dmen all out, but it needs to improve. Do not like the structure at all

Last edited by Something_Special; 12-02-2021 at 12:17 AM.
Something_Special is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Something_Special For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 12:15 AM   #266
djsFlames
Franchise Player
 
djsFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Where opinions are fact
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_Special View Post
Guys can get traded. It will be tough. I don't think we are a contender though until I see our ES goal differential be top 10 and closer to top 5. With that plus special teams, they could go somewhere. I don't think Tippets system will do that.
So you're expecting teams to just..take on your derpth players salaries that you don't want without sending any back so you can pursue rentals that do you want?
djsFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:18 AM   #267
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_Special View Post
You should know mate. You started a thread on that other site stating it..
Yeah and got Oiler fans panties in a bunch. Was a fun thread.

Hopefully you can join in.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:18 AM   #268
Something_Special
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
So you're expecting teams to just..take on your derpth players salaries that you don't want without sending any back so you can pursue rentals that do you want?
I don't know how they can do it. The bottom 6 has looked better with Ryan down on the 4th line. My pet peeve has been our "structure" or lack there of from what I see. Do not like the D zone system they play where they all collapse and just watch teams shoot. Maybe we get lucky and Holloway comes along quickly for upfront. Like I said, I would give EDM a 6/10 at most in terms of what I have seen thus far.
Something_Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:25 AM   #269
djsFlames
Franchise Player
 
djsFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Where opinions are fact
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_Special View Post
I don't know how they can do it. The bottom 6 has looked better with Ryan down on the 4th line. My pet peeve has been our "structure" or lack there of from what I see. Do not like the D zone system they play where they all collapse and just watch teams shoot. Maybe we get lucky and Holloway comes along quickly for upfront. Like I said, I would give EDM a 6/10 at most in terms of what I have seen thus far.
Maybe that's because they're a 6/10 team getting 9/10 results.

I've yet to be impressed by a viewing myself. I just see a few preventable plays a night that McDavid/Draisaitl take advantage of that teams executing their details and positioning would probably nullify or limit. Otherwise, a whole lot of meh.
djsFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:41 AM   #270
Rejean31
Franchise Player
 
Rejean31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_Special View Post
That is where I feel positive about the team for the next few years. I think they have so much room for improvement. I don't think Tippett is the guy either. I would give Edmonton a 6/10 on the year so far, yet they are 16-5. It's not like they have a Hasek in net either. I think Holland will get them another 2/3 pieces to round them out.
Where is the cap space going to come from, genius?
__________________
Food for thought: the Oilers last 3 years have been the worst statistical 3 year span in NHL history.
Rejean31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:02 AM   #271
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee
 
KootenayFlamesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Small town, B.C.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_Special View Post
I agree about the 2nd line. The Oilers need another top 6 forward who plays well at evens to replace a Yammamoto. Him and Hopkins kill too many plays and Draisaitl ends up trying to do it all. Idiot coach never seems to change that 2nd line up though. I think he did in the third tonight. I don't like those 2 players with Draisaitl. Not strong enough.

You can't outscore problems. I agree. Holland has to forget we have 97/29 and build a team that would be 0.500 without them at least. That is only when they will actually be a "Contender"

It is actually infuriating for me personally. All I look at every game is how they were 5 on 5. I will excuse tonight b/c of our dmen all out, but it needs to improve. Do not like the structure at all
You're lucky you snagged Hyman. Was hoping the Flames could somehow sign him. Your team could use a few more like him.........skill, compete, IQ. I hate him, but it's hard to.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:04 AM   #272
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player
 
d_phaneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Don't know how they keep getting away with being outplayed.

The good thing is you know that always comes back to get you eventually. A lot of poorly executed games from opposing teams and goalies (many backups) in that building.
They have the two best players in the world and 3 isnt all that close
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:48 AM   #273
djsFlames
Franchise Player
 
djsFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Where opinions are fact
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
They have the two best players in the world and 3 isnt all that close
Last I saw Ovechkin was sitting ahead of McDavid statistically.
djsFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:15 PM   #274
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Jose, California
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
#### off with points percentage. Playoffs arenít seeded by points percentage. Oiler fans only started talking about points percentage when they fell behind the Flames in actual points. Anything to twist the stats to make the Oilers appear better than they actually are.
To be fair that is incorrect if not a complete season or if teams haven't played the same number of games. The NHL used points percentage during COVID when teams got byes and others had to play in a play in format. Edmonton had the 4th most points in the West with only something like 10-20 games left when the season shut down and would have got a bye in the play in format if it was only based on points but they got bumped to 5th and Dallas got the bye because of points percentage.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #275
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Exp:
Default

That was a one off. Trying to use that as a "that is incorrect" is kind of trying to twist the facts. Last I checked and this could have changed but ROW is the tie breaker.

Using a one off tie breaker because of a once in a lifetime pandemic is disingenuous.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:24 PM   #276
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Jose, California
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
That was a one off. Trying to use that as a "that is incorrect" is kind of trying to twist the facts. Last I checked and this could have changed but ROW is the tie breaker.

Using a one off tie breaker because of a once in a lifetime pandemic is disingenuous.
Nobody is twisting facts. I said "if not a complete season or if teams haven't played the same number of games'. It isn't disingenuous in the slightest in that scenario. I said in those situations.

If a team had 93 points and 1 game left and if a team had 92 points and 4 games left isn't the same as a complete season. In a complete season it's never a concern.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #277
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player
 
SuperMatt18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Points percentage is the better metric until the end of the season when all teams have played the same amount of games.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:31 PM   #278
dino7c
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

When Oilers are behind on points percentage then win percentage becomes the standard that their homer announcers go by lol

thing is the NHL doesn't care...if the Flames or anyone else has 15 OTL and are one point ahead of the Oilers they will be the higher seed even if they cry
__________________
I WAS WRONG ABOUT KYLINGTON
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:32 PM   #279
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player
 
CorsiHockeyLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Points percentage is the better metric until the end of the season when all teams have played the same amount of games.
While this is fair enough, if you're going to say that X team is ahead of Y team because it has a higher points percentage - i.e., the reason that Y team has more points is because it has played more games - you also have to take into account the strength of that remaining schedule. The idea behind points percentage is that based on the games played to date, if you extrapolate those results to the full season, the team that has won a higher proportion of its games is in a better position because it's likely to have more points by the end of the year. But that's not true if the team with the higher points percentage has played considerably more home games, or has played more easy teams, or has played very few back to backs, and has its schedule backloaded in terms of those tougher games. If that's the case, the logic breaks down. And it seems to me that the Oilers' schedule has been easier to date than it will be for the balance of the season.
__________________
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:04 AM   #280
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player
 
Tsawwassen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Big start to the season for the overrated Oilers.

Their lack of playoff success will shock nobody but Oiler fans and media, it's really going to sting.
Yep, the truth hurts. Crunch time will start in 2 months and reality is going to hit them hard.
__________________
Remember this, TSN stands for Toronto's Sports Network!
MOD EDIT: Removed broken image link.
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 PM.

Calgary Flames
2021-22




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021