Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2021, 11:11 AM   #181
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I don't see anything particularly restrictive with respect to micro drones: https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/dro...n#micro-drones
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 12:11 PM   #182
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man....I really do need to just go get my licence. I have 5 drones just sitting idle, all of which are over 250g. On top of that, my Taranis controller and sweet new Fat Shark googles (which are orders of magnitude superior to the box style ones I started with) are doing nothing.

Kinda feel like I'm cheating with the Mavic Mini2, it takes no skill to fly but those buttery smooth vids are hard to ignore. Still do enjoy the much faster pace of and energy of my home built ones.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 11-26-2021 at 12:15 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:13 PM   #183
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

it looks like calgary has relaxed the rules since I last check and now you can apply for permission to fly in green spaces/parks.
Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:27 PM   #184
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Man....I really do need to just go get my licence. I have 5 drones just sitting idle, all of which are over 250g. On top of that, my Taranis controller and sweet new Fat Shark googles (which are orders of magnitude superior to the box style ones I started with) are doing nothing.

Kinda feel like I'm cheating with the Mavic Mini2, it takes no skill to fly but those buttery smooth vids are hard to ignore. Still do enjoy the much faster pace of and energy of my home built ones.
calgary says you can fly in a park and also says you can't fly a micro drone in any natural area like nose hill park. Wouldn't every park be considered a natural area?

In the states the rules are basically just stay away from airports and don't exceed 400ft and that's it.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:53 AM   #185
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Yeah, I don't see anything particularly restrictive with respect to micro drones: https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/dro...n#micro-drones

Thinking of getting the DJI mini2 from Costco. saved me some research, thanks.
keratosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 02:23 PM   #186
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
calgary says you can fly in a park and also says you can't fly a micro drone in any natural area like nose hill park. Wouldn't every park be considered a natural area?

In the states the rules are basically just stay away from airports and don't exceed 400ft and that's it.
No, not at all. Most parks in Calgary are man made. I get what you're driving at but there aren't a lot of "natural" parks. Nose Hill for sure and Weasel Head are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I've looked at the US rules and they don't seem any lighter than Canadian rules. I'm almost certain they have the same rules by weight.

I mean anything is way more than what there was when home made drones started to become a thing but as usual, it's the idiots that created these rules for the rest of us. For most people, they buy drones for the HD aerial shots. The Mini 2 is more than up to that task and don't have any really heavy handed rules.

Sport fliers are the ones that really paid the price.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:27 PM   #187
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, not at all. Most parks in Calgary are man made. I get what you're driving at but there aren't a lot of "natural" parks. Nose Hill for sure and Weasel Head are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I've looked at the US rules and they don't seem any lighter than Canadian rules. I'm almost certain they have the same rules by weight.

I mean anything is way more than what there was when home made drones started to become a thing but as usual, it's the idiots that created these rules for the rest of us. For most people, they buy drones for the HD aerial shots. The Mini 2 is more than up to that task and don't have any really heavy handed rules.

Sport fliers are the ones that really paid the price.
i have the mini 2 as well and its awesome
Old 12-01-2021, 10:09 AM   #188
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really is. Wish I had bought one sooner.

We went to the Bahamas 2 yrs ago and I was considering either buying a new GoPro or the Mini to bring along. I decided on the GoPro, wrong choice. It was nice to have, but the Mini would have been a much better choice. Mind blowing beaches and turquoise water and not another soul for miles, would have made for amazing video.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:07 AM   #189
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the topic of small drones, anyone flying the micro sized? I bought an eachine UK65 couple years ago and holy crap are those fun. More than small enough to fly inside but enough power to fly outside on calm days. Brushed motors, solid cameras, reasonable flight times. Only thing mine lacks is HD recording. I can record the entire flight in my googles but the image quality isn't great, wasn't really meant for that.

Use the same radio and googles as my larger ones. Would be fun to fly them in a warehouse or larger indoor space.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:39 PM   #190
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
i have the mini 2 as well and its awesome
Took the plunge and bought mine from costco. one of the arms was broken in the box, brought it back today and got a new one. after charging and updates got to try it out. Colour me impressed!
Old 12-13-2021, 10:16 AM   #191
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
Took the plunge and bought mine from costco. one of the arms was broken in the box, brought it back today and got a new one. after charging and updates got to try it out. Colour me impressed!
That's pretty bad luck. Was the packaging damaged at all?

Hope we get a good dump of snow soon and some mild weather to go along with it. Would like to get some video of fresh snow.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 11:17 AM   #192
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I must be searching wrong, but having a hard time figuring out the rules on mini drones(<250g) and using them in PLUZ areas? specifically McLean Creek and Ghost?

I know drones are prohibited in provincial parks, but are mini drones? and are the PLUZ areas part of the parks?

Being able to use it when I head out camping or Jeeping is probably my determining factor on buying one.
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:49 AM   #193
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

You cant operate a drone of any size in any Provincial Park. Not without special permission anyways.

PLUZ zones? Is that what they are calling Crown Land now? Regardless, don't think there there are any issues operating a drone in them. If it helps at all, the DJI app that you use to fly the drone has a map feature that shows very clearly if you are in a restricted zone or not. If you are, it won't take off.

This is all you need to know regarding flying sub 250g drones:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/dro...n#micro-drones

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 12-13-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:08 PM   #194
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
That's pretty bad luck. Was the packaging damaged at all?

Hope we get a good dump of snow soon and some mild weather to go along with it. Would like to get some video of fresh snow.
Boxes were intact, but there was a very obvious crack in one of the rear arms. Someone was having a bad day in QA is my guess.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:45 AM   #195
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
You cant operate a drone of any size in any Provincial Park. Not without special permission anyways.

PLUZ zones? Is that what they are calling Crown Land now? Regardless, don't think there there are any issues operating a drone in them. If it helps at all, the DJI app that you use to fly the drone has a map feature that shows very clearly if you are in a restricted zone or not. If you are, it won't take off.

This is all you need to know regarding flying sub 250g drones:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/dro...n#micro-drones
So following this advice, the DJI fly app seems marginal for knowing areas you can't fly in. None of the provincial or national parks seems to be listed?

https://portal.navdrone.ca/

seems a bit better, for showing where you can fly.

I also came to the realization I'm a dummy, I thought all of Kananaskis was considered a provincial park for some reason, when only certain areas are.

TLDR; I think I'm good to go for to fly a Mini 2 at McClean and Ghost.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:58 AM   #196
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, my apologies. I think the DJI app only shows airports/heliports in your area.

And I should have been more specific with your areas of concern, no issues flying in either of the areas you are interested in.

With the Mini's, you don't have much to worry about. Just use common sense. I fly mine fairly frequently in South Glenmore Park. I was concerned with the helipad at Rocky View Hospital but with helipads, you only have to stay 2KM away from them and that restriction doesn't even reach the south shore so good to go.

You won't regret your decision to buy one. They are a ton of fun and take amazing video.

I do suggest before flying it you get yourself familiar with the fail safe section of the app.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:39 AM   #197
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, my apologies. I think the DJI app only shows airports/heliports in your area.

And I should have been more specific with your areas of concern, no issues flying in either of the areas you are interested in.

With the Mini's, you don't have much to worry about. Just use common sense. I fly mine fairly frequently in South Glenmore Park. I was concerned with the helipad at Rocky View Hospital but with helipads, you only have to stay 2KM away from them and that restriction doesn't even reach the south shore so good to go.

You won't regret your decision to buy one. They are a ton of fun and take amazing video.

I do suggest before flying it you get yourself familiar with the fail safe section of the app.

That sounds like a good idea before I fly out in the woods.

My house is in the altitude limit 150 area for YYC, so I can fly just limited to 150'? That would be plenty for practicing first.

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2021, 02:05 PM   #198
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm, wasn't aware of any height limitation other than 400' "in the air" as per Transport Canada's guidelines.

Are you somewhat close to the airport? I think there in an inverted cone that extends from the airport. Farther you are from airport, the higher you can fly to a max of 400'.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:32 PM   #199
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Hmm, wasn't aware of any height limitation other than 400' "in the air" as per Transport Canada's guidelines.

Are you somewhat close to the airport? I think there in an inverted cone that extends from the airport. Farther you are from airport, the higher you can fly to a max of 400'.

SW Airdire, so getting near the end of the inverted cone.

As long as I can fly there I'm ok with restrictions.
Old 12-14-2021, 04:03 PM   #200
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah ok, that makes sense. Probably best to keep it low for the first few flights like you said.

Honestly, they are hard to lose but it's still possible, that's why I suggest getting familiar with the failsafe section so you know what it's going to do if you lose your connection.

Also, keep an eye on your battery. One of the top reasons for lost drones is not accounting for wind direction when trying to fly back on a low battery.

Tags
don't drone me bro! , nerdgasm , remote control