Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2021, 09:18 AM   #1
SebC
tromboner

Exp:
Default Travis Scott's AstroWorld festival kills 10 people

Just seems odd to me that nobody's mentioned this. 10 people got crushed to death at music festival in Houston. RIP.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/06/us/ho...val/index.html

Last edited by SebC; 11-14-2021 at 10:52 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:23 AM   #2
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Terrible and AVOIDABLE tragedy. I also learned that Travis Scott is an absolute #######. Hope gets sued to the moon.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #3
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never heard of this goof before but I hope he pays a heavy price for this. I've been at music festivals before where the crowd gets overwhelming and it's terrifying.

My worst experience was at Tomorrowland 2016 in Belgium. Hundreds of thousands of people leaving all at once through a single exit that bottle necked into a tiny exit that fit a couple people at a time. Eventually the crowd started pushing forward, the fences barriers came down and security gave up trying to organize people. Luckily me and my cousin made it out. But it was real tense for about 20 minutes as we got closer to the exit.

Can only imagine how terrifying it was for these pool victims.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:47 AM   #4
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The videos I've watched on this are terrifying. Dude was singing while people were dying. He literally asked his security to help someone passed out and in the middle of asking he turned a word into a song...yeahhhhhh yeahhhhhhh

Another video I saw a big juiced up security guard was trying to take somebody out of the crowd in the front row and he was stuck and it took a lot of effort for the security guy to squeeze him out of the crowd.

Also, Drake is being sued as well.

#### Travis Scott.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I'd never heard of Travis Scott until this story came out.

He's going to lose a lot of money over this and reputation.

What a terrible story.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #6
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was going to make this thread a few days ago but have been busy, glad to see it discusses.
Absolutely heartbreaking and preventable.

For those that don't know, Travis Scott is known for encouraging his crowd to mosh aggressively.
It was only a matter of time before this happened.

Although there's no remedy for the victim's families, I hope he is sued out if existence.
I wonder if criminal charges could be issued too? I don't see if very different from inciting a riot.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:56 AM   #7
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Was going to make this thread a few days ago but have been busy, glad to see it discusses.
Absolutely heartbreaking and preventable.

For those that don't know, Travis Scott is known for encouraging his crowd to mosh aggressively.
It was only a matter of time before this happened.

Although there's no remedy for the victim's families, I hope he is sued out if existence.
I wonder if criminal charges could be issued too? I don't see if very different from inciting a riot.
Travis Scott has already faced criminal charges for another concert before.

He can definitely face charges again.

Edit: he has actually been charged twice. Once in 2015 and again in 2017.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knightslayer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #8
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

From what it sounds like in there, it seems they are lucky if only 8 people died. Nightmarish.

I haven’t been in super crazy crowds, but I’ve been in some pits years ago. I’m a bug guy that can generally see over other people. I can’t imagine being in there as a short, small person. That couldn’t possibly be enjoyable, even in the best conditions.

Once a crowd like that gets out of control, people just don’t have a hope.
Old 11-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #9
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really understand the culpability of Travis Scott in this situation. He can't really see or know what is going on in the crowd and unless he is on the stage giving commands to the crowd to trample each other I'm not sure what else he can do. Aside from the deaths, this is pretty common action at concerts/festivals. Crowds are always tightly packed, people pass out and some people get injured.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:03 AM   #10
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I don't really understand the culpability of Travis Scott in this situation. He can't really see or know what is going on in the crowd and unless he is on the stage giving commands to the crowd to trample each other I'm not sure what else he can do. Aside from the deaths, this is pretty common action at concerts/festivals. Crowds are always tightly packed, people pass out and some people get injured.
He never stopped the show once he saw people passing out. He even encouraged people to "make the ground shake" after he knew there were medical personnel dealing with passed out people.

He is definitely culpable and will likely spend a lot of time in prison.

The better question is how culpable was Drake?
Old 11-09-2021, 10:05 AM   #11
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He is
Old 11-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #12
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.newsweek.com/travis-scot...rested-1647004
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:12 AM   #13
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a 9 year old kid who is probably messed up for life because his dad was crushed and he fell off his shoulders into the crowd. Who takes a 9 year old to a show like that?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2021, 10:13 AM   #14
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Initially I was hearing the youngest death was 10, but now I'm reading 14. Still way too young for such a tragic death.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:15 AM   #15
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
He even encouraged people to "make the ground shake"
This is common at pretty much any concert/festival/show in order to build up the energy and create an environment. The artists or some sort of hype-man is always out there stoking the crowd. What is the expectation going to be moving forward from this if Travis Scott faces jail time? Will concerts be like opera or ballet crowds? Will organizers have to establish some sort of metric for crowd excitement and stop events if a threshold is met?
Old 11-09-2021, 10:18 AM   #16
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure the covid numbers from this thing will be off the charts.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:20 AM   #17
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
This is common at pretty much any concert/festival/show in order to build up the energy and create an environment. The artists or some sort of hype-man is always out there stoking the crowd. What is the expectation going to be moving forward from this if Travis Scott faces jail time? Will concerts be like opera or ballet crowds? Will organizers have to establish some sort of metric for crowd excitement and stop events if a threshold is met?
If it is so common why has Travis been charged twice before for causing chaos?
Old 11-09-2021, 10:20 AM   #18
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
He never stopped the show once he saw people passing out. He even encouraged people to "make the ground shake" after he knew there were medical personnel dealing with passed out people.

He is definitely culpable and will likely spend a lot of time in prison.

The better question is how culpable was Drake?

Lol, he is more likely to not spend a single day in prison as a result of this
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #19
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If it is so common why has Travis been charged twice before for causing chaos?
When I was growing up as a young teen I was into the grunge scene at the time and mosh pits were the place to be at the time. They were scary, out of control and very violent. There were probably many deaths at those shows that never really hit the media. I recall a Pearl Jam death at some point in the mid 90s and it was shocking but not overly surprising if you ever took part in a mosh pit. It happened before I was born, in my youth and it will continue to happen after I am dead. They are tragic events but it is risk that comes with the environment.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:44 AM   #20
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
When I was growing up as a young teen I was into the grunge scene at the time and mosh pits were the place to be at the time. They were scary, out of control and very violent. There were probably many deaths at those shows that never really hit the media. I recall a Pearl Jam death at some point in the mid 90s and it was shocking but not overly surprising if you ever took part in a mosh pit. It happened before I was born, in my youth and it will continue to happen after I am dead. They are tragic events but it is risk that comes with the environment.
I'm sure what you attended looked nothing like this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knightslayer For This Useful Post: