Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2018, 06:03 PM   #21
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I feel like way too many people really don't realize how old millennials are now.

It's not just a blanket term for anyone younger than you that you don't identify with.
Yeah whenever people say millennial it seems they actually mean the youngest year or two of gen Y and then mostly Gen Z

Either way, I find the monopoly board hilarious. I kinda want one

Last edited by btimbit; 11-14-2018 at 06:09 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:08 PM   #22
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or iGen or whatever, yes. There's a huge gap between people who grew up with (I.e. they existed when you were in high school) smart phones and social media, and people who didn't, and it's a very sudden shift in perspective.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:20 PM   #23
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always had a bit of a problem with the way the Millennials ate Generation Y. What did you do to them?! Where are they?!

Free Gen Y!!!
Old 11-14-2018, 06:21 PM   #24
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

As far as I understand millennial is 1980-1995, so 23-38 year olds
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:27 PM   #25
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I feel like way too many people really don't realize how old millennials are now.

It's not just a blanket term for anyone younger than you that you don't identify with.
To be fair, it's a stupid unintuitive name. I don't know how many times I heard it before I realized that it wasn't talking about people born in the 2000s.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:33 PM   #26
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
As far as I understand millennial is 1980-1995, so 23-38 year olds
Which is way too broad of an age group. I'm born in 84 and relate to almost nothing "millennial".
While every individual is different, I find most millennial stereotypes only fit people born in the 90s onward.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:49 PM   #27
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Which is way too broad of an age group. I'm born in 84 and relate to almost nothing "millennial".
While every individual is different, I find most millennial stereotypes only fit people born in the 90s onward.
'92 here and I find it's mostly people younger than me even. Could just be my social circles but I don't think I know anyone around my age that does any of the stereotypical millenial things.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #28
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a millennial I found this funny at first and then a little sad. I really never will be able to buy a house

As an older 35 year old Oregon Trail millennial I do not relate with the references to participation badges, selfies, and vegan bistros though. Those seem more targeted at younger millennials and Gen Z.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:15 PM   #29
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I'm a millennial I found this funny at first and then a little sad. I really never will be able to buy a house

As an older 35 year old Oregon Trail millennial I do not relate with the references to participation badges, selfies, and vegan bistros though. Those seem more targeted at younger millennials and Gen Z.
I am older than a millennial and I would never be able to buy a house in a large city where real estate prices are nuts. I have owned a couple of houses in small rural areas where they are still cheap. But I could never do it before the age of 35.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:46 AM   #30
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally consider a Millennial anyone who grew up with social media. I don't know how someone like me who was 20+ when social media came around can be considered a millennial.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #31
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems one of the key features of being a millennial is claiming you don't fit in with the other millennials.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #32
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I personally consider a Millennial anyone who grew up with social media. I don't know how someone like me who was 20+ when social media came around can be considered a millennial.
But it doesn't really matter how you personally consider it. Millennial is a generally accepted age range from 82-95 births.

The name of the generation is based on people coming of age around the turn off the millennium.

You're thinking of generation Z.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #33
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But it doesn't really matter how you personally consider it. Millennial is a generally accepted age range from 82-95 births.

The name of the generation is based on people coming of age around the turn off the millennium.

You're thinking of generation Z.
Well I get that but you can't tell me how to feel!!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #34
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a marketing demographic guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #35
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm a 36 years old and totally a millennial.

I spent most of my money on experiences in my 20s. Went to music festivals, lived with my parents for way too long. Even now, my go to grocery store is Whole Foods. I do, however, have a good career and own a home in Calgary.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:36 PM   #36
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

For the in-betweeners....

Quote:
Xennials (also known as the Oregon Trail Generation and Generation Catalano) is a neologistic term used to describe people born during the Generation X/Millennial cusp years, typically from the late 1970s to the mid 1980s.

Characteristics and traits:
Many who identify with the cusp years of Oregon Trail Generation, Xennials or Generation Catalano do so because they do not feel they fit within the typical definitions of Generation X or Millennials. Cassie McClure, writing for Las Cruces Sun-News, describes those in the Oregon Trail Generation as "remembering a time before the digital age, but barely". Anna Garvey describes these individuals as having "both a healthy portion of Gen X grunge cynicism, and a dash of the unbridled optimism of Millennials", and discusses their relationship with both analog and digital technology. Sheknows.com describes individuals born in the late 1970s and early 1980s as sharing traits with both Generation X and Millennials.

Anna Garvey describes U.S members of this group as having had an "AOL adolescence" and as being from "the last gasp of a time before sexting, Facebook shaming, and constant communication". The Dickinson Press describes those born in the early 1980s as having early adulthoods which were impacted by the events of the September 11 attacks and the Iraq War.

According to Australian sociologist, Dan Woodman, "The theory goes that the Xennials dated, and often formed ongoing relationships, pre-social media. They usually weren't on Tinder or Grindr, for their first go at dating at least. They called up their friends and the person they wanted to ask out on a landline phone, hoping that it wasn't their intended date's parent who picked up.." Woodman also says "the 'Xennials' must be taken with several grains of salt. There isn't yet any strong academic evidence for the grouping, although clearly the idea resonates with a lot of people who felt left out by the usual categorizations."

Last edited by RM14; 11-15-2018 at 12:39 PM.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 12:37 PM   #37
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Oregon Trail Generation FTW!
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #38
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Chrome extension that replaces every instance of the word "millennial" with "adults under 40":

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...kblaniaiohncpi

As for Monopoly for Millennials, my wife and I (1979 birth year, sort of in between Gen X and Millennials) heard about it last night and both came to the same conclusion: it more accurately should have been called Monopoly for Baby Boomers Who Want to Make Fun of Millennials.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #39
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oooh, is one of the experiences 'play a boardgame that doesn't suck'?
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #40
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Oooh, is one of the experiences 'play a boardgame that doesn't suck'?
Fireball Island's Canadian shipments won't be out for a week

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote