Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #41
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was reading an interview with a former Scientologist who had actually taken all the courses including the OT level 8 course which they have to spend something like 100,000 on and can only take it on the Scientology flag ship out at sea.

If we thought that OT level III the adventures of Xenu were crazy, in level 8 it basically talks about Jesus as a Pedophile and Budda as the anti-christ. They also trick you in this course because they give you this information while your being audited so they have you reading it while hooked to the e-meter.

For a lot of people reading this BS actually causes a reaction like in a lie detector so the meter will jump. Which means that you're not clear of thetans and you have to take the course over and over again at your cost, or they make you drop back and take level VII at your cost again and then go for your level VIII.

And then once he'd finally gotten over his this is crazy reaction after taking the course a few times and borrowing money from everyone he new to pay for it. He managed to pass this final test and was declared clear OT Level 8.

Then after Miscavige came on board he got a call saying that there was a problem with LRH's interpretation and he had to take the course again for a mere 170,000.00

This person left the church but did it in a way that actually didn't cause separation with family members who were still involved. He just stopped taking their calls, stopped going to their services and changed the city he lived in so he couldn't be found.

Eventually they just gave up on siphoning him for more money. But he figured to get to OT VIII he spent well over $500,000.00

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:27 AM   #42
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Leah Remini is on "Conan" talking about this.
Very funny how Conan got a letter from the church.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:31 AM   #43
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
I find their half-hearted attempts at protest more surprising than anything.

I mean, they've come this far so you'd think that they'd understand the extremes it would take to actually convince believers.

Xenu himself could be on Conan belittling people as gullible idiots and they'd still slurp their cruel and sign their cheques.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:44 AM   #44
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I find their half-hearted attempts at protest more surprising than anything.

I mean, they've come this far so you'd think that they'd understand the extremes it would take to actually convince believers.

Xenu himself could be on Conan belittling people as gullible idiots and they'd still slurp their cruel and sign their cheques.
The thing that really gets me is " Dissconection".
Old 01-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #45
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There were a couple of 20/20 specials on the church this weekend that did feature Leah Remini. They also interviewed this lawyer for the Scientologists that had the deadest eyes I've ever seen and spent the hour basically calling Leah a paid lyin scumbag.

The best thing that Leah did was not deny that she and Mike Rinder were getting paid for that series.

I think the show is over and they're going to see if it gets renewed for next year.

More on her and the war on psychiatry

http://tonyortega.org/2017/01/14/the...told-abc-2020/

Claire Hedley does a series of interviews that shows how you go up the ladder from start to finish with Scientology

http://tonyortega.org/up-the-bridge-...total-freedom/

Old 01-26-2017, 11:47 AM   #46
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #47
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

the new season started last week with some pretty serious allegations of sexual abuse by a parent in Scientology and a high ranking official.

tough episode to watch and the stories of abuse were horrify, also the denial by the church. The episode ended with Leah, Mike and the two victims talking to police detectives.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #48
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

So Season 3 started, it took on Jehova's witnesses. As usual, it's excellent, powerful and I hope it wakes more people up to how brutal this cult really is.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #49
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
So Season 3 started, it took on Jehova's witnesses. As usual, it's excellent, powerful and I hope it wakes more people up to how brutal this cult really is.
Where are people watching this?

Netflix?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #50
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Its on A&E, in Iceland I am having to be a pirate, yarrr.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #51
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Having a couple cousins who are JW's I kinda knew about most of this stuff, but the stuff I didn't know and learned about from this episode makes them sound even more whack-a-doodle.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #52
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll have to watch this. My GF was mentioning this too. She grew up a JW, and left and was disfellowshipped from the religion when she was 19 or 20. It's all very sad. Her dad and family on that side is not even allowed to talk to her. In fact no JW is. https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102008083
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #53
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I wonder if her switch to different religions indicates that she's backing off on Scientology? My memory is fuzzy but wasn't she trying to sue them, or involve the police?

Old 11-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #54
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I'll have to watch this. My GF was mentioning this too. She grew up a JW, and left and was disfellowshipped from the religion when she was 19 or 20. It's all very sad. Her dad and family on that side is not even allowed to talk to her. In fact no JW is. https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102008083
Is there like a register for this? Can we sign up? Because 'No JW is allowed to talk to me' is a list I'd really, really like to be on.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #55
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I wonder if her switch to different religions indicates that she's backing off on Scientology? My memory is fuzzy but wasn't she trying to sue them, or involve the police?
This was just a JW special basically. The previews for the upcoming season still referred to Scientology.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:59 PM   #56
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
She says at the start that they received so many emails and letters about JW that she wanted to delve deeper into the cult.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #57
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I think they're two different cases.

For Tom Cruise

Cheap labor to aid him in his life. The members of his personal staff for the most part are sea org members making something like $5.00 per day. So if he needs a car fixed, bammo. He needs someone to clean his house or dust his oscars bammo. I late night snack made, Sea org to the rescue.

I'm sure that he's gotten some tax free advice, free legal advice.

He's adored by Scientologists.

For some of the other members like Travolta. I firmly believe that all of their so called auditing sessions are recorded. So if he confessed to something that's potentially damaging to his career in doing what scientology encourages you to do which is get audited and admit those dark secrets that are causing you to be negative, its on tape. Maybe they got him like others to confess to something that's career damaging. In the old days it might have been homosexuallity. Maybe its that sex trip to Thailand to have sex with whatever.

Most celebs have deep dark secrets that they want to hide. Infidelities, drug problems, unusual sexual practices like screwing fish. The church would have that on record.
Tom Cruise has a personal networth of close to $600 million. I'm sure he is very choosy about who is around him, and payouts to those people is not where he cuts the budget.

Here's a pretty good article on how Cruise got into it:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...logy_n_1664934

It was through his ex-wife, Mimi Rogers, and at a relatively young age. It could be blackmail that's keeping him in it. However, based on how crazy he seems in some of his interviews, I think he's just crazy and genuinely believes in Scientolgy. It seems more like a case of someone who got into in when they were less famous, surrounded themselves in Yes Men, and now doesn't see the need to change.

The celebrity that shocks me the most as being a scientologist is Beck.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #58
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The celebrity that shocks me the most as being a scientologist is Beck.
For me it is/was Jason Lee. Seems like such a smart guy to be wrapped up with the rest of these kooks.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #59
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
For me it is/was Jason Lee. Seems like such a smart guy to be wrapped up with the rest of these kooks.
Apart from those poor masses that are indoctrinated into the BS, I am always stunned by how many intelligent human beings can buy into this and surrender so much money without so much as blinking.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:35 PM   #60
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That episode is horrific, I had no idea that the JW were like that.

I think Leah is doing great work with this series and I believe it when she gets emotional.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: