Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2020, 08:01 AM   #61
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Eh, wonder if this is Tre's way of putting pressure on Kylington to sign his offer. Pretty sure I haven't seen news on that front yet.
That would be pretty sad if thats the tactic he has to use to re-sign a 6th/7th dman that he has put in the press box post trade deadline the last 2 years.

Kylington has zero leverage and unlike Mangiapane last year he doesn't deserve a contract more then minimum or even a 1 way imo. He still has long ways to go.

I'm sure Treiliving is itching to offer someone his patented 1st + 2nd + 2nd package for a middling top 4 dman. Waste of more assets.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:10 AM   #62
aaronkarlpatton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Beast View Post
Kylington to Tampa for Cernak

both 23yrs old, swapping a LS for a RS
This would be amazing, I was thinking the same thing. Do you think there is an appetite from Tampa? They do need to clear cap space, maybe if Cernak was apart of a Stamkos type trade (not sure how we would swing that, Monahan, Kylington plus for Stamkos and Cernak?)

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
aaronkarlpatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:14 AM   #63
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Has Treliving not yet wasted enough assets and cap space on depth defensemen that push better younger players on better contracts off the roster? What does he imagine that well has yielded the team up to now?
Two 23 year olds in the top six
A 22 year old in the bottom pairing
A 23 year old in 6/7 slot

Huh?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 08:14 AM   #64
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
More of a tongue in cheek comment on my part to be honest. Given my age (35) and the 89 Cup a faint memory, I have pretty much just witnessed first round exits outside of 04 and 15.

A Friday and a Sunday homestand and 10-12 Dome beers a game. How many playoff games have we won since 1990 outside the one time anomaly of 04? It can't be much more than 25 or so.

Who even knows anymore? I'll let myself out
You sir are worthy of our praise.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 08:14 AM   #65
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkarlpatton View Post
This would be amazing, I was thinking the same thing. Do you think there is an appetite from Tampa? They do need to clear cap space, maybe if Cernak was apart of a Stamkos type trade (not sure how we would swing that, Monahan, Kylington plus for Stamkos and Cernak?)

We couldnt make the cap work on our end in that trade, and I don't think Stamkos would waive for us.

I don't understand this rumor. We have defensemen stacked on top of defensemen. It's either stale news that's just hitting the cycle from a rumor prior to Nesterov signing or there's a move being planned that we dont see.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:18 AM   #66
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Two 23 year olds in the top six
A 22 year old in the bottom pairing
A 23 year old in 6/7 slot

Huh?
I think fans are stating that paying for veteran depth on D, whether it be lopsided trades, expensive free agent signings or rentals at the deadline have not resulted in any playoff success whatsoever.

Hard to argue with that IMO.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #67
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cap space remaining: $1,010,834
Current signed D depth chart:

Gio
Andersson
Hanifin
Tanev
Valimaki
Nesterov
Mackey
Petrovic
Yelesin
Lerby
Poolman
Kinnvall

Where the F is another D man going to play, and what cap space are we going to use to sign them? I don't even see the need for a RD if Nesterov is playing Right as reported. Rasmus is solid as f, Tanev was just signed, and Nesterov was allegedly brought in specifically to try that role. then we have guys like Mackey who are "ready to play", Petrovic who has almost 300 games of NHL experience, Poolman, and Yelesin that are very capable depth players/role players at least to cover for when Tanev might be injured.

I don't know, just doesn't seem like a worthwhile way to try and modify the team at this point.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:26 AM   #68
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

We already did pay pay for veteran bottom pair RD. 2 of them. Nesterov and Petrovic.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #69
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I think fans are stating that paying for veteran depth on D, whether it be lopsided trades, expensive free agent signings or rentals at the deadline have not resulted in any playoff success whatsoever.

Hard to argue with that because it's a pretty simplistic view.
A lot of teams add depth, because if you are going on a run you need it.
And even if we put that to the side, it would seem prudent, specifically during a compressed season, to have even more depth.
And...if Kylington showed he could play consistently, he would have a spot on the roster. Andersson is the proof of that.
He earned his playing time and earned the right to move up the line-up.
Kylington has shown nothing but promise at this stage. Promise that hasn't translated into consistent play that 3 different coaches could trust.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:45 AM   #70
I am Beast
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
And how are we going to pay for Cernak’s services?
Top of my head move out 3- mill 4th line , 33 yr old centre for a draft pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkarlpatton View Post

Kylington will be signing for less $$ than Cernak and gives them a pretty good return for the future as well. Win/Win for Tampa cap wise. Not interested on my end on Trading Monahan, we finally get a starting goalie seems a step backwards selling low on our only top 6 centre. Would be great if the deal got expanded to include Cirelli somehow but that would be an expansion draft waste.

I am Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #71
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Hard to argue with that because it's a pretty simplistic view.
A lot of teams add depth, because if you are going on a run you need it.
And even if we put that to the side, it would seem prudent, specifically during a compressed season, to have even more depth.
And...if Kylington showed he could play consistently, he would have a spot on the roster. Andersson is the proof of that.
He earned his playing time and earned the right to move up the line-up.
Kylington has shown nothing but promise at this stage. Promise that hasn't translated into consistent play that 3 different coaches could trust.
A pretty simplistic view? How you build a team is a rather fundamental premise to winning. You have a finite amount of cap space, draft picks and trade capital and how you deploy those assets isn't all that simplistic IMO.

Your comment "if you are going on a run you need it." is so telling that it hardly needs any further comment. Instead of building a team that can go a run, we'll add the pieces that might help if it were to happen.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:05 AM   #72
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A pretty simplistic view? How you build a team is a rather fundamental premise to winning. You have a finite amount of cap space, draft picks and trade capital and how you deploy those assets isn't all that simplistic IMO.

Your comment "if you are going on a run you need it." is so telling that it hardly needs any further comment. Instead of building a team that can go a run, we'll add the pieces that might help if it were to happen.
Adding an experienced right side Dman for the bottom pairing "if they are going to go on a run" is like putting a spoiler on your 1994 Honda Accord.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:08 AM   #73
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He just added one of the better goaltenders in the league so I just don't understand his mindset here as the biggest issue by far next season will be where the goals are going to come from. If Gaudreau and Monahan can't get out of their funk this team is going to have a problem putting pucks in the net.
IMO he is expecting a whole lot more offensive contribution from the back end.

For good reason as well.

Last year they were abysmal in the regard.

While its fact that SM and JG need to be better in both ends of the ice compared to last season, its equally true that the blueline was not a big contributor on the offensive side.

Tanev will allow proper slotting of guys to attempt 3 pairings of one offensive guy and one defensive first guy and maybe the whole club can just roll the same regardless of what pairing is one the ice. Adding one more RS defense first dman actually would help in this regard IMO to pair him with Valimaki....or even have Tanev/Valimaki as a pairing depending on where JV's game is at in his comeback.

Defense first is what the entire club will be asked and generate your offense from that.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #74
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
IMO he is expecting a whole lot more offensive contribution from the back end.

For good reason as well.

Last year they were abysmal in the regard.

While its fact that SM and JG need to be better in both ends of the ice compared to last season, its equally true that the blueline was not a big contributor on the offensive side.

Tanev will allow proper slotting of guys to attempt 3 pairings of one offensive guy and one defensive first guy and maybe the whole club can just roll the same regardless of what pairing is one the ice. Adding one more RS defense first dman actually would help in this regard IMO to pair him with Valimaki....or even have Tanev/Valimaki as a pairing depending on where JV's game is at in his comeback.

Defense first is what the entire club will be asked and generate your offense from that.
Brodie was a big part of the transition game and he wasn't really replaced as it's a lot to expect Valimaki to just step in the role of puck moving defenseman. I'm also not confident Gio will be as good without Brodie on the other side. Time will tell but I just don't see where additional offensive contributions from the back end are coming from with a declining Gio and no replacement for Brodie.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:37 AM   #75
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

Pro sports is a coin toss after the pieces are accumulated.

Teams that look to be in, generally add pieces at the deadline to shore things up, especially when two older guys in the top four are banged up.

The two additions certainly helped them get by Winnipeg and deep into a series with Dallas so I don't have a problem with them.

But a team that has four guys that young on their roster playing defense isn't blocking the road for young players on their roster.

That's pretty evident.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:40 AM   #76
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Adding an experienced right side Dman for the bottom pairing "if they are going to go on a run" is like putting a spoiler on your 1994 Honda Accord.
I think it's more like swapping out the breaks and keeping the oil clean.

There is nothing "sexy" about a veteran third pairing defenseman, but if you don't add some stability to the car it will likely break down and leave you hitching. Adding a spoiler is a vanity add to an old car.

There is no vanity in a third pairing veteran NHL defenseman on league minimum.

I don't love the car either to be honest, but it's the car they have so they may as well do whatever it takes to make sure it gets them to work and back in the next six months.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 09:48 AM   #77
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Brodie was a big part of the transition game and he wasn't really replaced as it's a lot to expect Valimaki to just step in the role of puck moving defenseman. I'm also not confident Gio will be as good without Brodie on the other side. Time will tell but I just don't see where additional offensive contributions from the back end are coming from with a declining Gio and no replacement for Brodie.
Hanifin, Valimaki and Andersson must make strides and improve or this D will simply not be good enough. However if those three can progress throughout the season and beyond (especially Hanifin, he worries me the most), it could become very good, very fast. Those three all have the ability to cover up Brodie's absence as a group if they continue to improve. They are all capable of becoming or are already good puck moving dmen. That's not even factoring in Kylington who stylistically at least, is more like Brodie than those three. I see it as:

20-21

1D Giordano
3D Andersson
4D Tanev
4D Hanifin
6D Nesterov
6D Valimaki
7D Kylington

21-22 (optimistically)

1D/2D Giordano
2D Andersson
3D Hanifin
4D Valimaki
4D/5D Tanev
6D Kylington

Not even factoring in Mackey. I think the D will be fine, we just need our young guys to uptick a bit and hope Gio can hold it together until hopefully Valimaki/Andersson becomes top pairing material by 22-23 or another 1/2D is unearthed. Really think Andersson and Valimaki will be a great top pair eventually. Hanifin should be traded for a forward imo. Another stalled season will kill his trade value. Just got to hope Mackey and Kylington can move up or try to sign a guy like Vatanen if possible.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:51 AM   #78
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't sleep on Nesterov. I think he's going to be a massive surprise this season.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #79
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m in the camp that would like to see Kylington given a longer leash. It feels like he is stuck holding back the offensive abilities that he has because any mistakes and he sits for a month or two. His skating and ability to generate offence would really help mitigate the loss of Brodie.

That’s not to say he gets a free pass. He has shown his defensive weaknesses in the limited chances he’s had. I can recall a game last season... it might of been the last time he saw the ice because it was by far the worst game I’ve seen him play. I think it was a meltdown game where the flames were leading but then gave up multiple goals and lost... I’m pretty sure Kylington was the primary cause of the first two goals that gave the other team the momentum. I can remember a specific one where he had control of the puck in the defensive end, he was five feet from the blue line, and all he had to do was get the puck out but instead he tried to hold onto it and skate it out himself/make a play. The puck got stripped by a forechecker and it lead to a goal against couple seconds later.

I remember feeling bad for him cause I knew he would be in the press box for a long time after that game. Every player has games like that but it’s especially hard for guys trying to crack the line up cause every mistake means they lose their opportunity to make up for it next game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:15 AM   #80
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think it's more like swapping out the breaks and keeping the oil clean.

There is nothing "sexy" about a veteran third pairing defenseman, but if you don't add some stability to the car it will likely break down and leave you hitching. Adding a spoiler is a vanity add to an old car.

There is no vanity in a third pairing veteran NHL defenseman on league minimum.

I don't love the car either to be honest, but it's the car they have so they may as well do whatever it takes to make sure it gets them to work and back in the next six months.
Why did we sign Petrovic if not to be the unsexy bottom pair/7th RD? Why did we sign Nesterov if not to compete for the RD position on the bottom pair?

We already have unsexy bottom pair players, we really don't need another one.