Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #1
bizkitgto
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default "The Great Reset", Klaus Schwab and "The New Normal"

This video on "The Great Reset" seems harmless, it's just a sexy video that doesn't say much. This video, "8 Predictions for the World in 2030" , from their Twitter is a little more chilling. But if you read this article from WEC, "Welcome to 2030. I own nothing, have no privacy, and life has never been better" , it looks and reads like a conspiracy theory, yet most government's in the world, as well as the world's wealthiest people attend the "World Economic Forum" every year. That doesn't mean everyone is in agreement, but it's a little creepy that the most powerful people in the world seem to be making decisions for all of us without asking us. The WEC (World Economic Forum) has a lot of articles and videos on their webpage you can look at.

This guy Klaus Schwab, who I have never heard of, seems to have a lot of influence, and seems to be preaching about a magical utopia we can all live in if we only give up our current way of life. You know what they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

He even wrote a book that contains all his idea: The Great Reset - Klaus Schwab/Thierry Malleret

Anyway, what do you guys think? The "Great Reset" is getting a lot of attention on social media right now.
bizkitgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Author's note: Some people have read this blog as my utopia or dream of the future. It is not. It is a scenario showing where we could be heading - for better and for worse. I wrote this piece to start a discussion about some of the pros and cons of the current technological development. When we are dealing with the future, it is not enough to work with reports. We should start discussions in many new ways. This is the intention with this piece.
Where I get lost in this piece is if all services are free and everything is a service what pays for anything.

The lowest cost of any good is the energy cost of all components plus the human cost of all components. There is no way to get either of these components to zero so human labour will need to be exchanged for money and not everything can be free.

Once not everything is free the vision breaks down.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I saw/read that article. I had to check several times to make sure it wasn't satire.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:29 PM   #4
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh man, there have been so many nutty conspiracy theory-types blabbing on about "the great reset" to me for about a year now... So sick of it
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That is the most ludicrous thing I've ever read, written by someone who plainly believes that Star Trek is real and has no understanding of how things actually work.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:49 PM   #6
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
Anyway, what do you guys think? The "Great Reset" is getting a lot of attention on social media right now.
I think social media is a cesspool that should go back to being used to share videos of cats and dudes taking shots to the balls.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 03:53 PM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I think social media is a cesspool that should go back to being used to share videos of cats and dudes taking shots to the balls.

If only we could get a video of Klaus Schwab taking a shot in the nuts. That would be utopian .

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:56 PM   #8
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see the WEF as representing the rise of a new sort of international organization that is not backed by or made up of state actors so much as it is made up of a certain class of global elite. It's representative of a shift in where global power is concentrated. Klaus Schwab, as the WEF founder, has insight into ideas about the future among that community. I think the key in that article is the perceived division between those in cities and those not in cities. Utopia for those who fit into the global/regional elite, uncertainty for those who don't. Although these ideas are towards the fringes, they're not unheard of in communities like those around the WEF that are shaping much of the future.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Effectively it’s a poorly written version of 1984 where the prols live outside.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #10
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Not going to lie, I actually like a lot of the content on the World Economic Forum. Some of it is fairly interesting. This bit seems out there, but then again every journalistic source has its warts. Not a big deal.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 04:25 PM   #11
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone read The Great Reset? I haven't. I've read one of Schwab's earlier books, The 4th Industrial Revolution, more than once, and it was very good at the time.

To be clear, the author of this article isn't Schwab, but I also wouldn't dismiss all her ideas without digging into them deeper. This is clearly a piece designed to spur conversation and draw people in. It's more click bait than anything. There's probably more substance behind her ideas than indicated in the article though.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
globalization , great reset , klaus schwab , wec , world economic forum