Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon39 UPD: Coyotes renounce the rights to draft pick Mitchell Miller

This story might blow up given the current social/political climate and yes this happened when Miller was 14.

This is long article and I suggest you read the whole thing.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...en/6039714002/

Quote:
The Arizona Coyotes last month boasted about having their chief executive selected to an elite National Hockey League committee that pledged to stop racism, but the team then spent its first draft pick on an 18-year-old who has admitted to bullying an African American classmate with developmental disabilities.

Isaiah Meyer-Crothers, the Black student, told The Arizona Republic that he was stunned and saddened when he learned the Coyotes earlier this month had selected Mitchell Miller, whom he grew up with in Sylvania, Ohio.

Four years ago, Miller admitted in an Ohio juvenile court to bullying Meyer-Crothers, who was tricked into licking a candy push pop that Miller and another boy had wiped in a bathroom urinal.Meyer-Crothers had to be tested for hepatitis, HIV and STDs, but the tests came back negative, according to a police report.

Meyer-Crothers, also 18 and who now lives in Detroit, said Miller had taunted him for years, constantly calling him "brownie" and the "N-word," while repeatedly hitting him while growing up in the Toledo suburb. Other students at their junior high confirmed to police that Miller repeatedly used the "N-word" in referring to Meyer-Crothers.

"He pretended to be my friend and made me do things I didn't want to do," Meyer-Crothers said in a phone interview. "In junior high, I got beat up by him. … Everyone thinks he's so cool that he gets to go to the NHL, but I don't see how someone can be cool when you pick on someone and bully someone your entire life."

This was a known issue before the draft with some teams deciding outright not to draft the kid because he wasn't forthcoming about the incident. It did contribute to him falling to the 4th round

https://twitter.com/user/status/1275183819050582022

News Update

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
There is word ARIZ will renounce the rights for draft pick Mitchell Miller.

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Sounds like the Arizona Coyotes are going to renounce the rights to Mitchell Miller.

https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/coy...er/c-319543540

Quote:
The Arizona Coyotes announced today that the club has renounced the rights to Mitchell Miller. Miller was selected by the Coyotes in the fourth round (111th overall) of the 2020 NHL Draft.

"We have decided to renounce the rights to Mitchell Miller, effective immediately," said Coyotes' President & CEO Xavier Gutierrez. "Prior to selecting Mitchell in the NHL Draft, we were aware that a bullying incident took place in 2016. We do not condone this type of behavior but embraced this as a teachable moment to work with Mitchell to make him accountable for his actions and provide him with an opportunity to be a leader on anti-bullying and anti-racism efforts. We have learned more about the entire matter, and more importantly, the impact it has had on Isaiah and the Meyer-Crothers family. What we learned does not align with the core values and vision for our organization and leads to our decision to renounce our draft rights. On behalf of the Arizona Coyotes ownership and our entire organization, I would like to apologize to Isaiah and the Meyer-Crothers family. We are building a model franchise on and off the ice and will do the right thing for Isaiah and the Meyer-Crothers family, our fans and our partners. Mr. Miller is now a free agent and can pursue his dream of becoming an NHL player elsewhere."

"I fully support our decision to renounce Mitchell Miller's draft rights," said Coyotes' General Manager Bill Armstrong. "It was a unique situation for me not being able to participate in this year's Draft and we were going through a transition with our scouting department. Mitchell is a good hockey player, but we need to do the right thing as an organization and not just as a hockey team. I'd like to apologize to Isaiah and the Meyer-Crothers family for everything they have dealt with the past few months. I wish them all the best in the future."

The Coyotes top priority is to be a leader on diversity, inclusion and equity and the club will continue to work with numerous local organizations including Best Buddies, One Step Beyond and the American Special Hockey Association to support people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. In addition, the Coyotes and the Arizona Coyotes Foundation will look to partner with local non-profit organizations fighting bullying and racism.

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-29-2020 at 12:32 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a brutal story. Kid is saying all the right things now, but when that's your mentality at age 14....... it's not like he's a 6 year old.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 10:48 AM   #3
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Man, that's one of the worst stories about a player's character that I've ever read.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:53 AM   #4
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, I always try and give people the benefit of the doubt but this person seems like a genuine piece of ####.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #5
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got no time for bullies. There's no excuse for that kind of behavior, and it just makes me sad to read about it.

I hope hockey culture does more to work on this with their young players. Hockey coaches and leagues have impressionable young men (and women) under their charge, and they have great influence over them, for good or for bad. Too long they turned a blind eye to hazing and other ridiculous rituals that can be psychologically damaging. I'm betting they turned a blind eye to behavior like this as well.

There just needs to be a better focus on becoming good people as well as good hockey players. Honestly, every single youth organization needs to do more of this.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm. Maybe people can change but racism aside he sounds like a pretty bad person in general.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 10:55 AM   #7
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Will actively root against this player to ever make the show. Bullies are horrible.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:57 AM   #8
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
That's a brutal story. Kid is saying all the right things now, but when that's your mentality at age 14....... it's not like he's a 6 year old.
One thing that bugs me is:
Quote:
Joni Meyer-Crothers said the other boy broke down in tears while personally apologizing to her son, yet Miller has never personally apologized, she said, other than the court-mandated letter.

The Coyotes sent The Republic a copy of the letter that Miller claimed to have given to the victim and his family. The family said on Friday they never received the letter.
If true about the letter and apology, his words are ringing pretty hollow.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:00 AM   #9
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1320768640367558657

https://twitter.com/user/status/1320769105297719296

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 11:01 AM   #10
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

So they cheated to pick as ass of a character prospect.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:02 AM   #11
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the victim gets the help he needs and Miller can come out of this as a better person, but these reports are pretty damning.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:08 AM   #12
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
One thing that bugs me is:

If true about the letter and apology, his words are ringing pretty hollow.
If true, it’s more damning of his parents than it is the kid himself in my eyes.

It’s not like the kid is out there paying for his own hockey. If he’s playing hockey, involved in incidents like this and isn’t showing remorse/being sincere in apologizing - I’m sorry, but you’re a #%^* parent for not taking corrective measures (removing him from hockey, for one).

Last edited by ComixZone; 10-26-2020 at 11:10 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:10 AM   #13
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

what a psychopath

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:12 AM   #14
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Those don't sound like the misguided mistakes of a teenager. I bet he won't play a single game in the NHL whether he's good enough to or not.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:13 AM   #15
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess people can change, but actions like this as a teenager already kind of indicates what type of person he is, and he does not sound like a good person at all. Why any NHL team would take a risk like that, I have no idea. Guess it's just a Coyote thing this year in the long list of dumb stuff that organization has done in 2020.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #16
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I am hesitant to see people rewarded for past behavior they won't account for - sports, professional life, or otherwise.

One's skill does not belie what they deserve. And there should be consequences for such until a permanent, sincere character adjustment is made.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:30 AM   #17
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

He was a kid. As a father of a developmentally challenged child, I think its sick that society is pulling out pitchforks for something a 14 year old did. Do you remember being 14? Deny it all you want, but you did stupid things at 14. Some of the comments here are disgusting. I guarantee there are posters here who went through juvenile hall (or whatever the Canadian equivalent is), learned from it and are well-adjusted adults today. We can't afford an 18 year old the same opportunity? Sad.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 11:31 AM   #18
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO being a bully and a terrible human being is an asset in the playoffs. (not that the Coyotes ever get there)
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:45 AM   #19
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
He was a kid. As a father of a developmentally challenged child, I think its sick that society is pulling out pitchforks for something a 14 year old did. Do you remember being 14? Deny it all you want, but you did stupid things at 14. Some of the comments here are disgusting. I guarantee there are posters here who went through juvenile hall (or whatever the Canadian equivalent is), learned from it and are well-adjusted adults today. We can't afford an 18 year old the same opportunity? Sad.
Yup, but all those decisions affected me. Things like not working hard enough in school, being dishonest and almost getting in trouble with the police, general dangerous behavior.

However, I still knew right from wrong at that point, and I sure as #### didn't bully anyone who had mental challenges.

Some things are beyond the pale, and it doesn't sound like he cares about the things he did that much.

Forgiveness should be given, but it has to be earned. It's not an automatic.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #20
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Didn't the new Coyotes GM make a big deal out of firing hockey ops staff for lack of character? LOL, then goes straight into the draft and drafts this kid.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote