Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Jake Boltman 0 0%
Daniil Chechelev 3 1.30%
Lucas Feuk 0 0%
Ryan Francis 0 0%
Glenn Gawdin 65 28.26%
Pavel Karnaukhov 1 0.43%
Rory Kerins 0 0%
Johannes Kinnvall 10 4.35%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Demetrios Koumontzis 0 0%
Yan Kuznetsov 20 8.70%
Carl-Johan Lerby 0 0%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Illya Nikolayev 3 1.30%
Josh Nodler 0 0%
Tyler Parsons 6 2.61%
Luke Philp 0 0%
Jeremie Poirier 55 23.91%
Colton Poolman 1 0.43%
Martin Pospisil 1 0.43%
Rushan Rafikov 0 0%
Adam Ruzicka 5 2.17%
Illay Solovyov 0 0%
Filip Sveningsson 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 0 0%
Alexander Yelesin 4 1.74%
Artyom Zagidulin 3 1.30%
Dmitri Zavagorodny 53 23.04%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2020, 10:11 AM   #21
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^A couple things:

1) Yes, if you can get the puck out you defend less. You have to get the puck away from the other guy first. Not sure Poirier can do that consistently.
2) Yes, skating can help you recover, but guys who can play positionally well and not skate exceptionally will always be better defenders. Of course, you need some wheels to get in the right position to begin with too, but NHL forwards feast on guys who don't think the game well.

I do think the Kylington comparison is fair, but you also said that he came MILES from where he was drafted, and even then, he's still struggling to see the NHL lineup regularly. I'm not saying he still can't improve, but there might be a limit on how much better he gets.

Same for Poirier. Due to his current insufficiencies, he has a ton to add to his game before he could even be considered for the NHL. That doesn't bode well for him, because as we've seen with Kylington, even a ton of progress doesn't guarantee NHL high end success.

I suspect that a lot of his offensive game will have to be sacrificed in order to play passable NHL defense, not unlike Kylington. I like the raw talent and tools, but I'd rather have a guy who thinks the game well and has better than average talent.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:25 AM   #22
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I do think the Kylington comparison is fair, but you also said that he came MILES from where he was drafted
I did, because I was trying to make a point that the defensive side is much easier to develop and teach than the things that Poirier and Kylington naturally excel at.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #23
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zavagorodny plays with a ton of compete. I love prospects who fight tooth and nail to get involved in games.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #24
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really interesting round. You have people voting for a guy who's pretty much ready to start the year on the 4th line vs a guy who's a long shot to make the dance but if he does is most likely a PP QB on the back end that would put up 50+ points a year.

Edit: Didn't even see Lil Z at the bottom there but that's a great choice as well.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:33 AM   #25
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Really interesting round. You have people voting for a guy who's pretty much ready to start the year on the 4th line vs a guy who's a long shot to make the dance but if he does is most likely a PP QB on the back end that would put up 50+ points a year.

Edit: Didn't even see Lil Z at the bottom there but that's a great choice as well.
There's also Kinnvall, one of the most productive defensemen in the SHL, who shoots right and is still young.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #26
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
There's also Kinnvall, one of the most productive defensemen in the SHL, who shoots right and is still young.
I honestly forgot about him. Could be a Klingberg-like steal if given the chance. That痴 a high bar but he痴 been playing great right now.
ForeverFlameFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:12 PM   #27
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprised Kinnvall is beind Poirer. Playing solid minutes in SHL. Highest scoring blueliner per game of there. AND shoots right.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #28
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Surprised Kinnvall is beind Poirer. Playing solid minutes in SHL. Highest scoring blueliner per game of there. AND shoots right.
Probably because most posters don't know anything about him. Also, he's 23 and was never drafted. Poirier was T-2nd in Q scoring for defensemen as a 17 year old.

And while 'shoots right' is something we need, it doesn't make him a better prospect.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #29
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
He's an enticing prospect. But if he were drafted, his draft year would have been 2015, just like Andersson, Hanifin, and Kylington and yet to step foot on NA ice, which is a bit of a different style of play he'll have to adjust to.

This is effectively his draft+6 year and we can probably expect him to have to spend some time in the AHL at some point too when he does come over.

A guy like Poirier is in his D+1 year, and the guys who are a bit older (like Phillips(D+5) and Gawdin(D+6) have at least shown a bit on NA ice that suggest they're really close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
And while 'shoots right' is something we need, it doesn't make him a better prospect.
I actually disagree with this. If a player has any attribute that will give them a better chance to play in the NHL, then that does make them a better prospect. And shooting right does give a guy like Kinnvall a better opportunity. Not only to play on the team, but to play on the powerplay, which is huge.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-26-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #30
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dmitri Zavagorodny's stats aren't really that impressive for his size and age. I think CP overrates him a bit.

Phillips and Gawdin had much more impressive numbers during their last years in the CHL. Although Zavagorodny has yet to play his 20 year old season.

Poirier is as productive as Zavagorodny was at the same age, despite being a defenseman. However, Zavagorodny did look great in the training caps. Seems to be pretty clutch. Ryan Francis's numbers are better than Zavagorodny's if you account for age. I wouldn't be surprised to see Francis put up 100+ points for Cape Breton at some point.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:44 PM   #31
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Zav!
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:45 PM   #32
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Kind of baffling how Poirier is getting more votes than Kuznetsov when the latter was drafted,earlier, in the 2nd round, 2 weeks ago.
Flashy player with offence and star (or bust) potential.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:47 PM   #33
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Dmitri Zavagorodny's stats aren't really that impressive for his size and age. I think CP overrates him a bit.

Phillips and Gawdin had much more impressive numbers during their last years in the CHL. Although Zavagorodny has yet to play his 20 year old season.

Poirier is as productive as Zavagorodny was at the same age, despite being a defenseman. However, Zavagorodny did look great in the training caps. Seems to be pretty clutch. Ryan Francis's numbers are better than Zavagorodny's if you account for age. I wouldn't be surprised to see Francis put up 100+ points for Cape Breton at some point.
17: 0.76 PPG
18: 0.96 PPG
19: 1.68 PPG

That's a pretty darn good 19 year old season. And the progression was solid and consistent as well.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 12:49 PM   #34
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went with Gawdin once again, but Zavgorodniy is a solid solid choice at this position. Next tier of prospects are interesting. Poirier, Parsons, Kuznetsov, and Nikolaev. Can even throw Zag and Ruzicka in the mix. Good job by the flames picking up some solid prospects over the last few years.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #35
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post

You can look at junior stats all you want, but for me Zav Really showed me what he could do in Flames training camp, looked really good and correct me if I知 wrong but I知 pretty sure he was awesome against the Oilers prospects in one of those prospect tournaments
Old 10-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #36
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudreau is a Ninja View Post
You can look at junior stats all you want, but for me Zav Really showed me what he could do in Flames training camp, looked really good and correct me if I知 wrong but I知 pretty sure he was awesome against the Oilers prospects in one of those prospect tournaments
He's also off to a respectable start in the second best hockey league in the world, with three assists in four games to start his KHL career.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #37
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
He's also off to a respectable start in the second best hockey league in the world, with three assists in four games to start his KHL career.
It really sucks that both Zav and Pelletier both got hurt right before the World Jrs.
I was really excited to watch both.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:46 PM   #38
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
17: 0.76 PPG
18: 0.96 PPG
19: 1.68 PPG

That's a pretty darn good 19 year old season. And the progression was solid and consistent as well.
Yeah I guess I take that back.

Zavgorodniy had slightly more points per game than Phillips did as a 19 year old. This is despite the fact that Phillips had 112 points and 48 goals.
But Phillips was without doubt the best forward on his team. Zavgorodniy was without doubt, not the best forward on his team. Hardly anyone would be if they were playing with Lafreniere.

It's a moot point because Phillips isn't on the board. Between Zavgorodniy and Gawdin, I think it's close. Zavgorodniy has higher upside. Gawdin is more complete and more developed.

These are the types of players the Flames should be drafting. And thank goodness they have been.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:47 PM   #39
jaymac106
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Whatever happened to D'Artagnan Joly?
jaymac106 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaymac106 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 04:22 PM   #40
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymac106 View Post
Whatever happened to D'Artagnan Joly?
Wasn't signed, is no longer the Flames' property.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post: