Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #381
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So Mercedes winning the development race thus far? Looking much better than preseason testing on this track.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #382
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valtteri lays a beating on the field.

Here's hoping me makes a good start tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #383
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Great summary. DRS is also available in all zones during qualifying I believe. Every little but adds up.
Excellent point. An obvious omission on my part. I imagine this plays an even bigger role on tracks with a long DRS zone like China.

I can’t remember which year but when DRS was first introduced cars were allowed to keep their DRS wing open for as much of the lap as they could during qualifying. It would still close under braking but they could redeploy on corner exit. Unlike now when it can only open in DRS zones in qualifying.

They stopped when drivers, specifically Vettel, starting leaving his DRS open for corners that could be taken flat out, or close to it. Most drivers didn’t risk it for fear of crashing but it added an element that I don’t think they wanted to become commonplace. At least thats what I recall happened, I could be wrong.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:20 AM   #384
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beautiful morning to watch some F1
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:10 AM   #385
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

TSN sure doing a good job of putting their commercials on when something interesting happens. Missed both Vettal pitstops
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #386
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
TSN sure doing a good job of putting their commercials on when something interesting happens. Missed both Vettal pitstops
Thankfully ESPN is commercial free
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #387
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
1: Hamilton
2: Bottas
3: Vettel -1
4: Verstappen +1
5: Leclerc
6: Gasly
7: Norris Out
8: Magnussen +1
9: Sainz +1
10: Raikkonen Out

I'll throw Haas a bone and give them some points here. Don't screw me Gunther
Not bad. Not that the top 5 is ever too hard to predict. Close to getting Sainz and Magnussen which actually surprised me.

Despite costing me points I'm happy to see a Red Bull on the podium, even though I think Verstappen is a bit of a dink he's a great driver

Last edited by btimbit; 05-12-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #388
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another dreadfully boring parade. Might be done with f1 until they fix the competitive balance.

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zarrell For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #389
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I definitely don't disagree, but if you pick a midfield team to root for and/or follow the battle for fourth overall can still be very fun. I'm a fan of McLaren and that's shaping up to be interesting. Kvyat was a also blast to watch today.

Starting to look like Red Bull and Ferrari could be in for a battle for 2nd, especially with some races coming up that Red Bull usually performs very well at. But if you're waiting for someone to topple Mercedes, 2019 won't be your year

Last edited by btimbit; 05-12-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #390
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hamilton
Bottas
Vettel- -1
Verstappen- +1
Leclerc
Gasly
Perez -8
Sainz
Stroll-OUT
Raikonnen- OUT
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3thirty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #391
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

1. Hamilton
2. Bottas

3. Leclerc -2
4. Verstappen +1
5. Vettel -1
6. Gasly
7. Magnusson
8. Sainz
9. Grosjean -1
10. Kvyat +1

Man, I was this close to flipping Verstappen and Leclerc. Also just missed a Grosjean and Kvyat placing, although I won't claim any shoulda coulda strategy with those two.

Still, 9 out of 10 picks within 1 spot feels pretty good compared to past weeks.

Last edited by jayswin; 05-12-2019 at 11:00 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #392
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I’m not gonna complain about Merc dominance, enough has been said about that. But today was a prime example of how poor the directors are at choosing which cars we see on track. For almost the whole race, until after the safety car, the tv director refused to show us the midfield battles, as usual. How do these guys still have a job? They’re terrible.

7-12 were separated by about 5 seconds almost the whole race. But nope, let’s show the Mercs and Ferrari’s driving around in no mans land with nothing happening. The fans see it, the commentators see it but the tv directors don’t care and only want us to see Merc, Ferrari and sometimes Red Bull.

It’s bad enough here’s no competition up front. It’s worse that they force us to watch that instead of battles that are interesting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #393
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I’m not gonna complain about Merc dominance, enough has been said about that. But today was a prime example of how poor the directors are at choosing which cars we see on track. For almost the whole race, until after the safety car, the tv director refused to show us the midfield battles, as usual. How do these guys still have a job? They’re terrible.

7-12 were separated by about 5 seconds almost the whole race. But nope, let’s show the Mercs and Ferrari’s driving around in no mans land with nothing happening. The fans see it, the commentators see it but the tv directors don’t care and only want us to see Merc, Ferrari and sometimes Red Bull.

It’s bad enough here’s no competition up front. It’s worse that they force us to watch that instead of battles that are interesting.
Agreed. That's where all the overtaking is but the majority of the broadcast focuses on the same 4 drivers, who are usually very spread out.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:48 PM   #394
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

1000% agree Cecil. I don't think Sky controls the TV feed so they're are the whim of the the local broadcaster. I think that's how it works anyways. You can see them wondering WTF they're looking at on the screen.

The race itself was as expected for Spain. Whoever got to turn 1 first would win. Bottas had a bad start, he said clutch issues, Vettel picked the wrong Merc to follow and that's it.

One odd thing was the lack of difference in pace between the tires. Leclerc was on the hard and lapping at the same pace as others.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:51 PM   #395
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
1000% agree Cecil. I don't think Sky controls the TV feed so they're are the whim of the the local broadcaster. I think that's how it works anyways. You can see them wondering WTF they're looking at on the screen.
That would make sense, and would explain why sometimes they're discussing something that isn't even shown on camera

Quote:
One odd thing was the lack of difference in pace between the tires. Leclerc was on the hard and lapping at the same pace as others.
I've noticed that too. Same with mediums keeping up with the softs, or in the case of baku, seeming even quicker.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:11 PM   #396
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The race itself was as expected for Spain. Whoever got to turn 1 first would win. Bottas had a bad start, he said clutch issues, Vettel picked the wrong Merc to follow and that's it.

I think that is because those on the soft or medium were not pushing as hard, so even though the difference is 1.7(?) seconds, it ends up being a lot less with than hards able to go as fast as the softs on slow mode.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:14 AM   #397
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a week to forget to make my picks.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #398
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think that is because those on the soft or medium were not pushing as hard, so even though the difference is 1.7(?) seconds, it ends up being a lot less with than hards able to go as fast as the softs on slow mode.
Maybe... but then everyone on those times would have to have pulled back the same amount. I don't recall anyone catching another car at 1s/lap or similar.

Also, reminder that I'll get picks updated Wednesday. And don't worry speede5, I've carried forward picks for others...
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #399
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Also, reminder that I'll get picks updated Wednesday. And don't worry speede5, I've carried forward picks for others...
Funny thing is I commented just after a practice session! i was more upset cause I did a bit of a longshot last week that is gonna be trash this week. lol

This season is turning into a bit of a yawner, might just be transposing the top ten in points for picks.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #400
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Dutch GP at Zandvoort confirmed for 2020 with some track upgrades since it’s currently Monaco without the barriers (worse than Hungary).

Rumour is that Mexico will be dropped. And one other GP is likely to be dropped. Spain has been circling as the one. Or Germany.

Vietnam GP in Hanoi is already confirmed for 2020. Here’s a video released by the F1 YouTube channel of a sim lap.

And here’s a lap of Max at Zandvoort in a V8 F1 car.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 05-14-2019 at 07:23 PM.