Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2020, 11:19 PM   #501
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait, Captain, you got a job?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:24 AM   #502
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah I got a contract about 5 months ago, basically doing some business developer stuff and advising startups.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 08:12 AM   #503
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Okay guys I'm still struggling here, one of the issues I think I'm having is that for the last 18months I've been underemployed.

Should I ignore that on my resume? I have 7 years at the top of my field, followed by these last 18 months near the bottom.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #504
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Okay guys I'm still struggling here, one of the issues I think I'm having is that for the last 18months I've been underemployed.

Should I ignore that on my resume? I have 7 years at the top of my field, followed by these last 18 months near the bottom.

Let me know if anyone has any ethical concerns with this, but are there some courses that you've taken in 18 months that you can make sound like they were spread out a bit? You could then explain that you have been spending 18 months searching for work and upgrading.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:38 AM   #505
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just wanted to throw a big THANK YOU to the CalgaryPuck community here.

I have found myself unemployed for the first time in my life after being laid off from my long-term career at a company that rhymes with FansCanada.

This thread alone has helped me get an interview in a new, exciting industry! Whether I get this job or not, it has me thinking about getting into the space regardless.

Good job looking out for each other!
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TSXCman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 10:14 AM   #506
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Ok, now I'm going to do the complaint from the other side, as I've posted here I've been looking for a copywriter and a junior developer.

I posted the Copywriter position on Ziprecruiter. I've gotten some response which is great. But some of the applications and resumes are so poorly done that my jaw dropped, like to the point of completely unprofessional. Or its clear that they didn't read the ad and just are blanket blasting positions.

I used to feel sorry for people with poor resumes, but at least they were poor resumes that the candidate had put some effort into, and maybe needed some guidance. But some of these resume's just make me feel like these people are outright lazy, don't proof read, on top of it, only a few came with any kind of cover letters.

I've given myself a mandate of pinging the people that I don't want to interview with a email indicating such, but with some of these, I don't even think they deserve that.

Ok folks, again.

• Your resume is your selling document, sell me on why I should talk to you.
  • Don't give me a date range the name of your position and nothing else, I'll chuck you out
  • Do proof read your resume, give it to someone else to proof read, but sending in a shyte show of spelling errors, grammar errors and nonsense will not get you an interview and that's on you
  • Do write a cover letter, it allows you to show interest, attention to detail, understanding of the roll and why you're a fit. Not doing a cover makes you look lazy or uninterested.
  • If you're applying for a role, make sure you at least have some actual real world experience based on the job description.
I'm starting to understand why some of these hiring managers don't respond to applicants, its because the applicant looks like they don't care and they're ticking off a box on their UI report, or they've literally made the hiring person go "Ugh" you wasted my time.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #507
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

You can't ignore it, Its 18 month, and if its an elephant in the room for you . . .

I agree with the below, if you can show some career advancing activities over the last 18 months that's going to be extremely helpful.

In your resume find a way to call more attention to the 7 years over the last 18 months. Sell the crap out of the 7 years, do some glorification of the 18 month roles.

Also maybe cover off on it a bit in your cover letter without making it look like you're working in the mail room

If you want me to do a review with you, let me know.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:35 AM   #508
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I'm a single data point, but I've hired a few engineers over the past few years. And like a few others have mentioned, if you sell the 18 months in a constructive way I will pay attention. I know it's tough out there for junior folks (for example), so if someone shows that they kept grinding and working hard at something they get a bit of an uptick from me. As an example, I hired a junior who had some industry experience but also had a year of bookkeeping for the family business. Great resume and cover letter got her an interview, I hired her and she turned out to be a great team member. Super driven.

Thanks to everyone for the sketchy recruiter feedback. Your comments align with my gut feel. Luckily I have one strong lead from my network that led to an interview this afternoon, and I have another super professional recruiter working with me on another position.

CaptainCrunch - spelling mistakes drive me nuts on engineering resume, my head would explode on a copywriter position.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:53 AM   #509
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Ok, now I'm going to do the complaint from the other side, as I've posted here I've been looking for a copywriter and a junior developer.

I posted the Copywriter position on Ziprecruiter. I've gotten some response which is great. But some of the applications and resumes are so poorly done that my jaw dropped, like to the point of completely unprofessional. Or its clear that they didn't read the ad and just are blanket blasting positions.

I used to feel sorry for people with poor resumes, but at least they were poor resumes that the candidate had put some effort into, and maybe needed some guidance. But some of these resume's just make me feel like these people are outright lazy, don't proof read, on top of it, only a few came with any kind of cover letters.

I've given myself a mandate of pinging the people that I don't want to interview with a email indicating such, but with some of these, I don't even think they deserve that.

Ok folks, again.

• Your resume is your selling document, sell me on why I should talk to you.
  • Don't give me a date range the name of your position and nothing else, I'll chuck you out
  • Do proof read your resume, give it to someone else to proof read, but sending in a shyte show of spelling errors, grammar errors and nonsense will not get you an interview and that's on you
  • Do write a cover letter, it allows you to show interest, attention to detail, understanding of the roll and why you're a fit. Not doing a cover makes you look lazy or uninterested.
  • If you're applying for a role, make sure you at least have some actual real world experience based on the job description.
I'm starting to understand why some of these hiring managers don't respond to applicants, its because the applicant looks like they don't care and they're ticking off a box on their UI report, or they've literally made the hiring person go "Ugh" you wasted my time.

It's really hard to take this post seriously with the amount of run on sentences, comma splices, syntax errors, missing apostrophes, improper use of an apostrophe to pluralize a word, one sentence paragraphs, and improper capitalization of words contained in the post. Even the job posting for the copy editor has an improper (and inconsistent) use of punctuating bullet points. When trying to hire a copy editor, you need to have that part nailed down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 10:57 AM   #510
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

You know this is a hockey forum, right?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #511
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
It's really hard to take this post seriously with the amount of run on sentences, comma splices, syntax errors, missing apostrophes, improper use of an apostrophe to pluralize a word, one sentence paragraphs, and improper capitalization of words contained in the post. Even the job posting for the copy editor has an improper (and inconsistent) use of punctuating bullet points. When trying to hire a copy editor, you need to have that part nailed down.
I dunno, maybe it screams SEE, WE NEED YOUR HELP.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:14 PM   #512
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

Knowing nothing about your company but a lot about the sheer volume of resumes and desperate, skilled people looking for work, along with the stories of 1000's of resumes within hours for a lot of openings, it does seem a bit bizarre that you guys are struggling to get good resumes and potential hires for these two positions.

It should be a mountain of resumes where you get to pick the best and have good people in the positions.

Last edited by jayswin; 11-17-2020 at 12:18 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:16 PM   #513
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We've getting a lot of resumes, but there's a chunk that are just terrible, and no care is taken.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #514
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Shots, fired.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #515
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

• Not really, he has an opinion, its his.
  • I don't spend a lot of time editing my posts on here, sue me, request my banning, ignore me, don't care.
  • I posted the first run of the position here, because I wanted to give people here a first run at it.
  • The formal ad was different, and the response was good, I was giving feedback here because it can be a cautionary tale of what I've seen in terms of applicants
  • I work in this thread because I want to help people here.
  • I posted that position here far in advance of going out to market because I wanted to see if there was anyone here that wanted to apply first.
  • if he wants to come in with an aggressive posts like that, then good on him, I hope it makes him feel better.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 11-17-2020 at 01:51 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 02:14 PM   #516
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
  • Not really, he has an opinion, its his.
  • I don't spend a lot of time editing my posts on here, sue me, request my banning, ignore me, don't care.
  • I posted the first run of the position here, because I wanted to give people here a first run at it.
  • The formal ad was different, and the response was good, I was giving feedback here because it can be a cautionary tale of what I've seen in terms of applicants
  • I work in this thread because I want to help people here.
  • I posted that position here far in advance of going out to market because I wanted to see if there was anyone here that wanted to apply first.
  • if he wants to come in with an aggressive posts like that, then good on him, I hope it makes him feel better.
  1. ;
  2. I see what you did there Man.
  • Thanks for giving folks, here, a shot, and real feedback We can all appreciate
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:34 PM   #517
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
You know this is a hockey forum, right?
I do, but I also find it odd to be complaining about the quality of people's work when your own work resembles the work that you're complaining about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I dunno, maybe it screams SEE, WE NEED YOUR HELP.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-17-2020, 02:41 PM   #518
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do, but I also find it odd to be complaining about the quality of people's work when your own work resembles the work that you're complaining about.

Christ, you're a dick.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 02:51 PM   #519
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Christ, you're a dick.

You, do realize that's an actual job posting. Right?

https://twitter.com/Citylajobs/statu...84813790728193

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #520
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Christ, you're a dick.
That’s some high praise squiggs.