Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2018, 06:09 PM   #101
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
How do we know that Smith won’t return to form?

Smith is the starter, so while agree Rittich has played well, he needs to do it consistently when called upon, not just given the reigns to go for it after 11 games.

I think the “how will you know if you don’t give him another chance?” argument is incredibly premature. He’s played parts of the last 3/4 games. Nobody has closed the door on him, so let’s stop pretending that Rittich is at a “now or never” Stage of his development, or that the Flames are at that point in their season for that matter.

But how many times are you going to let Smith piss away points waiting to see if he’ll find his game? Points are worth the same in October as they are in April. Play the guy who has looked better. And not just a little better, a lot.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:16 PM   #102
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
But how many times are you going to let Smith piss away points waiting to see if he’ll find his game? Points are worth the same in October as they are in April. Play the guy who has looked better. And not just a little better, a lot.
They have been. He’s had two of the past 4 starts.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:17 PM   #103
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Kuznetzov shoots and scores

“The craftiest player in the league!”

Neal tries the same move and doesn’t score

“Why is he doing that??”
カナダ人です is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to カナダ人です For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2018, 06:17 PM   #104
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

My expectation for each game is that we will give up at least the first goal and that we will be behind by the 10 minute mark of the first period each game.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:18 PM   #105
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
I still like the Peters hiring but if he goes back to Smith on Monday I’m gonna be livid. Yes, Smith looked better the 2nd half of that game but the numbers are black and white.

Smith: 3-4 / 4.10 / .866
Rittich: 2-1 / 2.37 / .933

I don’t care who was anointed starter at the beginning of the year. Play the guy that gives you the best chance at a W. That is without a doubt, Rittich.

Livid is a pretty strong word.

I could see being disappointed, shaking your head, or the like.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2018, 06:19 PM   #106
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
How do we know that Smith won’t return to form?

Smith is the starter, so while agree Rittich has played well, he needs to do it consistently when called upon, not just given the reigns to go for it after 11 games.

I think the “how will you know if you don’t give him another chance?” argument is incredibly premature. He’s played parts of the last 3/4 games. Nobody has closed the door on him, so let’s stop pretending that Rittich is at a “now or never” Stage of his development, or that the Flames are at that point in their season for that matter.
If Smith continues with his inconsistent play he needs to have a shorter leash. Don't keep going back to him with hopes that his game improves.

Rittich should be given the same opportunity as Smith. If he plays well, you ride him until he lays an egg. At some point we need to find out if Rittich can handle the #1 position.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #107
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

They need to keep rotating the #2 goalies until one of them decides to be a #1.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #108
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
Positives: under 30 shots against, some emotion, and overall a decent game imo

Yes. The 9-1 disaster aside, so far this team is at least more entertaining than last year's. For one thing, they may actually score a PP goal here and there. For another, they seem to respond after being scored on, and they already have two 6-5 goals.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #109
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They have been. He’s had two of the past 4 starts.

And Rittich is 1-1 in those games. Smith is 0-2-1 his last 3 starts. Rittich should be getting the lions shares of the starts until either he starts to falter or Smith starts to improve.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:38 PM   #110
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
To sprinkle a bit of positivity tonight, I thought Andersson was fantastic. I’m really excited about him.
I agree, i was at today's game and he really was amazing. It made me think that with the Flames getting younger for the most part, it may be that the big trade in the offseason and the up and coming group of defensemen set us up much better for the next few years. It may not pan out this year though, how far can you go with 3 very young defensemen?

Hannifin was very good as well and I don't agree that he has been generally bad, although he had a couple of challenging games out of 11. The goalie position does have to be addressed though, that is by far the biggest problem that the Flames have. They absolutely have to find out this year if Rittich has it, otherwise it may be time to move on. Smith is done as a starter, he needs to be relegated to the bullpen.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:39 PM   #111
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
And Rittich is 1-1 in those games. Smith is 0-2-1 his last 3 starts. Rittich should be getting the lions shares of the starts until either he starts to falter or Smith starts to improve.
Sure... and how do you suppose you’ll notice if Smith starts to improve with Rittich getting “the lion’s share”?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2018, 06:41 PM   #112
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
To sprinkle a bit of positivity tonight, I thought Andersson was fantastic. I’m really excited about him.
Totally agree.

I'm also excited about Valimaki. Not worried at all about Gio and Brodie not being around. Back end looks great for the foreseeable future.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:48 PM   #113
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Isn't Smith like the oldest goalie in the league? I wasn't expecting much from him this season anyway. With LA doing bad I wonder what Quick can be had for?
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:48 PM   #114
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I really liked Andersson tonight as well, getting NHL minutes is really helping him.

On the otherside, I'm really starting to dislike Johnny's size issues. Guy gets pushed off the puck too often and can't figure into corners. And trying to shoot at an 85° angle from the corner only works when the goalie is out of position.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:55 PM   #115
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just don’t think this is a playoff team. Hope I’m wrong.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:59 PM   #116
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Washington were poor today and they had a goalie that was 0-5 who was no great shakes.

This is going to be a long ####ing season.

BT has to get us a goalie.
Too late for that. There weren’t even any in the off season. But I agree, this goaltending situation is bad news.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:03 PM   #117
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rittich isnt the answer folks. We got a
Glimpse of what that looks like last year. Good
Lord.

Either smith finds it or we are toast.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:05 PM   #118
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
And another goalie gets his first win in the NHL over the Flames. They should have been throwing everything they could on him in the third but tried to be too pretty.
So many people say this and I personally disagree.

If I am playing my 4th NHL game in net, I want you throwing everything at me. If you are throwing everything on net then chances are the majority are not great scoring chances. Let me touch the puck, get into the game and build confidence. These are the best in the world and just because they are a backup doesn't mean they are bad. I am sure most backups are not far off from the starter in terms of GAA and SV%.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #119
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly, I am not at all upset with this result. I loved the resiliency to come back from 2-0 down and from 3-2 down with 2 minutes left after the Capitals had just suffocated the team. There are three key hockey clichés that I find become more real as I get older:

1. At the end of a winning streak, you probably win some games you shouldn't win and likewise at the end of a losing streak, you likely lose some games you should have won.

2. It takes about 20 games at the beginning of the season to find out what you have. It also takes 20-30 games to get used to a new coach and 20 games for a new defenseman to adjust to a new system.

3. Washington lost 8-2 last year early in the season, Pittsburgh lost 10-1. We are neither of those teams, but as much fun as it is to laugh at others for these results, they do not define a team. The bounce back does.

For those that are finding themselves giving up on the team and the season, I encourage you to look at the Gaskal's around the league report as a mirror. Seven of the eight teams in our division are separated by 4 points after 10 games. Almost every fan base thought they would be a playoff team this year and wonder/worry about their team during any given streak. The reality is that this will be a dog fight until the end by which point the Flames can hopefully separate themselves by a few points to get some breathing room. Enjoy the ride - this is one of the best teams that management has put together and the most the owners have ever paid for a team in our city. Let's see if they can find a way to gel.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #120
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike Smith. No goaltender has played more minutes and sucked harder. .869 S%, good for 57th of 64 goaltenders have appeared in the NHL this season. 3.91 GAA, good for 54th of 64 goaltenders to have played this season. How can anyone defend this guy?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post: