Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2018, 05:29 PM   #81
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Need to acquire a solid number 1 goalie or this season will be another disappointing one and they will miss the playoffs again.
iamca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:30 PM   #82
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Smith and an asset for Bob? Both are expiring.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:31 PM   #83
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

People can say what they will about the forward and defence. But we will never know what we have without the momentum gain of a decent goalie. Hate to pile on but Smith is terrible. He's being beat up high (resting on his knees) and down-low between is massive 5-hole (transition). He's just too slow is that going to change?

But how is a team supposed to play with any kind of confidence with this happening? And I think Peters and management know that after the 9-1 drubbing frankly but can't be too vocal...

Treliving is quietly trying to pull a deal before its too late. Which is hard without sending Rittich the other way... we're really screwed.
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:31 PM   #84
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
The thing is he should be able to do that much more often than he does. He made those saves due to being in line with shooter and tight to the post. That is just starting goaltender technical soundness.

When he starts being dramatically reactive like he did in the shootout attempt, he opens up massive gaps like the five hole there.

I know he likes to steal the spotlight but less theatrics and more technique from Smith would go a long way to helping the team win.
Maybe. Smith built his entire career playing the way he’s played. He’s a high risk goaltender, has been for years before he ever came our way.

I don’t think goalies can just switch styles, but I do think goalies who play high risk fall off faster as they get slower.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #85
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Loser point FTW.
The Flames tied the hockey game. Lost the extra skills competition.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #86
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Give Rittich more starts. Smith certainly does not merit all these starts.
I agree, shouldn’t of been in net for this one. He wasn’t glaringly bad, but that was a performance of a back up, not a starter. He’s been back up quality since returning from injury. He has the ability to make some really nice saves which is probably his saving grace right now. Pucks just seem to be finding holes and he is not adjusting. I just don’t see Smith making major adjustments in his technique this late in his career. A month more of poor play by him and the flames are probably in crisis mode, if he can turn it around that would be great but if he can’t you cannot wait and see. He’s old, very rarely do older players who show signs of regression can regain their level. I hope he can but I would not bet on it.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2018, 05:33 PM   #87
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Korpisalo with another start for CLB...

Brodie for Bob?

I’d do that all day. Valimaki and Andersson are full time NHLers which can at least partially mitigate the loss of Brodie. The big problem is finding dollars to sign him and Tkachuk and possibly Bennett long term.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #88
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Smith and an asset for Bob? Both are expiring.
I don’t think that gets it done, but based on what’s happening in Columbus I think Bob is definitely available.

Good goaltender to make a run at. Make the run now and it’ll cost you more, but make it too late and the season might be in question.

Though, he’s playing very very poorly, so you’d hope it’s just a blip or an “I want out now” thing.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:36 PM   #89
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourteen FTW View Post
By steal do you mean stop more than 85% of the shots we face?

Edit my bad: he was .889 tonight

Lol, no doubt. .889 is okay once in awhile from your starter but when .889 is an improvement in your starters stats, that’s just a flat out bad goaltender.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:36 PM   #90
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Korpisalo with another start for CLB...

Brodie for Bob?

I think they need more offense then defense.

Maybe Bennett? Not sure that will get it done though.
Saqe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #91
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamca View Post
Need to acquire a solid number 1 goalie or this season will be another disappointing one and they will miss the playoffs again.
Under no circumstance touch our 1st round pick in 2019 pls.
We are not a goalie away from being good.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #92
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
So much Elliott vibes with Smith, a softy a game is becoming expected. Teams with good goaltending don’t have that issue. Like always, goaltending is gonna be the thing that breaks this team unless Rittich becomes a starter or they trade for someone. Smith just does not have it anymore, he’s close to being out of the league. This team needs to find a goalie or it’s another season down the drain guaranteed. I just don’t see a 36 year old goalie having a major turn around when he continuously looks uncomfortable in net. He has good reactions but his positioning is really odd, just not a starter anymore.
What we need to find instead of goalies like Elliott, Smith - a Needle in the Hay.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #93
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know the goaltending hasn't been good enough when fans start defending the goaltender for playing well for a half a game. After 7 starts Smith has a whopping .866 SV% which is simply not good enough.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2018, 05:48 PM   #94
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still like the Peters hiring but if he goes back to Smith on Monday I’m gonna be livid. Yes, Smith looked better the 2nd half of that game but the numbers are black and white.

Smith: 3-4 / 4.10 / .866
Rittich: 2-1 / 2.37 / .933

I don’t care who was anointed starter at the beginning of the year. Play the guy that gives you the best chance at a W. That is without a doubt, Rittich.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:48 PM   #95
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

When your #1 goalie has run out of gas, you either give the reins to the young guy or you replace the old guy. To repeat doing the same thing is an exercise in frustration.

You can't simply say that Rittich did not play well with a lot of starts last year so that won't work. How will you ever know what Rittich will bring long term if you don't give him another chance?
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #96
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Leafs will light up Smith. Play Riitich please.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:57 PM   #97
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
If Oshie scored, it would've ended in the first round

You could say the same thing as the Flames first shooter.

Dah.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #98
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
When your #1 goalie has run out of gas, you either give the reins to the young guy or you replace the old guy. To repeat doing the same thing is an exercise in frustration.

You can't simply say that Rittich did not play well with a lot of starts last year so that won't work. How will you ever know what Rittich will bring long term if you don't give him another chance?
How do we know that Smith won’t return to form?

Smith is the starter, so while agree Rittich has played well, he needs to do it consistently when called upon, not just given the reigns to go for it after 11 games.

I think the “how will you know if you don’t give him another chance?” argument is incredibly premature. He’s played parts of the last 3/4 games. Nobody has closed the door on him, so let’s stop pretending that Rittich is at a “now or never” Stage of his development, or that the Flames are at that point in their season for that matter.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:02 PM   #99
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fun game was fun. Not often going down two in the first turns into a point. Glad I bought tickets after all.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:09 PM   #100
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I'm not saying he had a great game. It's just that Flames need Smith going or this is gonna be an ugly season.
I would go even further in terms of all the anti-Smith hate.

The only goal I didn’t like was the Oshue goal where his poor rebound control lead directly to the goal.

The Niskanen goal was a complete screen and seeing eye shot.

The Vrana goal was a 2 on nothing.

Smith looked pretty pedestrian in the shootout though.

I wish we had better goaltending but let’s try and be intellectually honest CP.
Owen15 is offline   Reply With Quote