Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2017, 09:03 AM   #2661
Daorcey
Farm Team Player

Exp:

In case anyone would like to view the mayor's latest scrum on this topic, you can see it here.

Bottom line: pay to play is gross. And the wording on the invitation to this event certainly looked that way. As a person who works in Mayor Nenshi's office and who has been quite involved in the work to reform campaign finances in this province, I'm take this issue pretty seriously and I know the mayor does too. I know that, moving forward, the campaign will be working closely with all people who want to hold campaign events/fundraisers to make sure this kind of wording is avoided in the future.
Daorcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #2662
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Fair enough, but its about more then the wording.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:20 AM   #2663
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daorcey View Post
Bottom line: pay to play is gross. And the wording on the invitation to this event certainly looked that way. As a person who works in Mayor Nenshi's office and who has been quite involved in the work to reform campaign finances in this province, I'm take this issue pretty seriously and I know the mayor does too.
Are you really going to sit there and pretend that Nenshi didn't realize this was pay to play? It's the definition of pay to play. We all know it. He got caught, own up to it and apologize, don't double down and insult our intelligence Mr. Mayor.

I'm sure if I just invited him to a BBQ with 20 of my closest friends I wouldn't get a response. But if I told him that we were each donating $5000 he would be asking what type of salad he should bring. Well, at least until he got caught doing that #### this week.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:36 AM   #2664
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daorcey View Post
In case anyone would like to view the mayor's latest scrum on this topic, you can see it here.

Bottom line: pay to play is gross. And the wording on the invitation to this event certainly looked that way. As a person who works in Mayor Nenshi's office and who has been quite involved in the work to reform campaign finances in this province, I'm take this issue pretty seriously and I know the mayor does too. I know that, moving forward, the campaign will be working closely with all people who want to hold campaign events/fundraisers to make sure this kind of wording is avoided in the future.
Daorcey,
Was Nenshi unaware there was a premium seating cost?

What is the specific mis-characterization then?

As a 7 year old, could identify the pay-to-play correlation.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:41 AM   #2665
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

That scrum to me makes Nenshi look worse. It's a lot of doublespeak and trying to shift blame to others. He actually says politicians should work hard for the small donations while he was just behind a $5000 request for lunch, per person? He is full of garbage.

How he can say he is a leader on campaign finance rules when he pulls a stunt like this rings extremely hollow.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #2666
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
That scrum to me makes Nenshi look worse. It's a lot of doublespeak and trying to shift blame to others. He actually says politicians should work hard for the small donations while he was just behind a $5000 request for lunch, per person? He is full of garbage.

How he can say he is a leader on campaign finance rules when he pulls a stunt like this rings extremely hollow.
Extremely hollow. Sounds like he will be more careful not to get busted. He obviously though it was a fine idea before the media reported on it. Did nobody in his office think it was improper or did you just think it wouldn't be reported or citizens wouldn't care?
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #2667
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Extremely hollow. Sounds like he will be more careful not to get busted. He obviously though it was a fine idea before the media reported on it. Did nobody in his office think it was improper or did you just think it wouldn't be reported or citizens wouldn't care?
Probably 'All of the Above.'

I find it strange that politicians in general think 'Pay for Access' is okay.

Why dont we just call a spade a spade and bribe them?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #2668
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Probably 'All of the Above.'

I find it strange that politicians in general think 'Pay for Access' is okay.

Why dont we just call a spade a spade and bribe them?
It would sure save time and energy. Doesn't seem like there is any moral outrage from politicians about this sort of thing unless it is an opposition member being caught.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #2669
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think that bribery should be completely legal but the acts committed by the politician to be punishable.

It would certainly make for better television

"Local mayor and a group of thugs beat a man half to death after local jerk pays him $5000.00 to do it"

Old 06-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #2670
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think that bribery should be completely legal but the acts committed by the politician to be punishable.

It would certainly make for better television

"Local mayor and a group of thugs beat a man half to death after local jerk pays him $5000.00 to do it"
lol

Might as well run campaign donations like radio contests. The politicians has to do something publicly embarrassing to accept donations over $20.

"Local mayor parades through downtown in roller skates and tutu after donor donates $5000.00 to campaign"
Old 06-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #2671
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is this bribery? It's a fundraiser. Nenshi didn't set those limits either, the firm did. If they want to fundraise for Nenshi, and Nenshi attends the event, what's the issue? The invitation seems to have been stupidly worded (as a pay-for-access), and that's where the confusion comes from. It's the firm fault for making a crappy invite, but past that, it's kind of a hollow story.

Plus, what if it was a company throwing a fundraiser for Andre Chabot? Would he have a problem with it? Likely not. He needs campaign funds too.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #2672
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't have a problem with the fundraising event itself - municipal politicians host these dinners all the time. I have a problem with the hypocrisy exhibited by the Mayor and his defence of it as a "wording issue."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naheed Nenshi, Calgary Herald, 03 Dec 2009
The changes are indeed so small as to be meaningless. A $5,000 cap on donations is so high as to be no cap at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naheed Nenshi, Calgary Herald, 31 July 2008
Transparency, fairness and participation are the foundation of clean, effective government, and we can't have these without fixing the current non-system of campaign finance.

Let me be clear: I'm not suggesting that there is a simple quid pro quo in place. To argue, as Ald. Linda Fox-Mellway did in last week's Herald, that she can't be bought for $5,000 or $10,000 (would $20,000 be enough, one wonders? Does she ever have a sale?) is reductionist and absurd.

I'm not saying that just because Intergulf-Cidex donated $18,000 to the mayor's campaign, making them the second-largest of his donors, that the city then bought their entire development in Montreux for affordable housing. Yes, that looks bad, but it was also a good decision.

I am saying that Intergulf-Cidex and, indeed, the entire development industry, have the ear of city council. Their phone calls get answered. They can take a meeting with most council members virtually any time they like. Normal citizens don't get this privilege, and to argue that the privilege is not related to the donations is naive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naheed Nenshi, Calgary Herald, 31 July 2008
We need six changes, and we need them now:

1. Limits on contributions. The amount is up for debate, but $1,000 or $1,500 per donor is a good start.
Daorcey, how does the mayor reconcile the statements above with the decision to hold a fundraising event with a $2,000 minimum donation that would primarily be attended by members of the development and construction industry?
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 01:20 PM   #2673
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
How is this bribery? It's a fundraiser. Nenshi didn't set those limits either, the firm did. If they want to fundraise for Nenshi, and Nenshi attends the event, what's the issue? The invitation seems to have been stupidly worded (as a pay-for-access), and that's where the confusion comes from. It's the firm fault for making a crappy invite, but past that, it's kind of a hollow story.

Plus, what if it was a company throwing a fundraiser for Andre Chabot? Would he have a problem with it? Likely not. He needs campaign funds too.
The difference is its selling access at a high price. The people that are going have to pretty much pay $5000.00 to have and it was stated as "exclusive access" to the mayor or something like that.

That's not fundraising. Basically fundraising is you open the door's and pretty much pass the hat, without the promise of exclusive access. In fact more politicians would want to avoid the exclusive access concept.

As well having a private firm like Kassian setting this one up and attaching their name to it? that can also be looked at as exclusive access. "Gee Mr Mayor, we'll run this event for you, it'll raise a bunch of money for you, now about your plans for XYZ project, how about this instead"

Look at the fever that our Prime Minister got for attending pay for access events with wealthy members of the Chinese community. Next thing you know the Chinese have bought into a satellite company that provides military recon for the Americans.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:25 PM   #2674
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How is this bribery? It's a fundraiser. Nenshi didn't set those limits either, the firm did. If they want to fundraise for Nenshi, and Nenshi attends the event, what's the issue?
It's pay to play. It's obvious. Nenshi would not be scheduling that event if there wasn't fundraising involved. Which is fine, it's legal and it happens all the time. Much like Wenzel's "secret" meeting where he too fund raised for his public figures, which Nenshi likened to a scene out of a mafia film, the ethics are extremely debatable though.

Pay 2000-5000 and get a private audience with Nenshi with 20 other like minded individuals. That's what it was, that's what everyone with half a brain knows it was. Let's not try to act like it was poor wording on the invitation, no one was misinformed, it was was it was.

The issue is Nenshi and his cronies coming out and calling anyone who disagrees with "pay to play" as dummies and saying that it wasn't the case, further insulting our intelligence. The simple fact is, without the promise of upwards of 100,000 dollars, no one in that invitation list was going to get that one on one discussion time with Nenshi.

And let's take a further look at who sent out the invitations, and came up with the "poorly worded" invite. Bill Chomik. A volunteer for the Nenshi campaign who had all but secured a huge fundraising for Nenshi had the invitation not gotten into the hands of a reporter...he also happens to have a nice cushy appointment as the Chair for the Calgary Subdivision and Development Appeals Board. I wonder how he ever got that job.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 06-28-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #2675
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
It's pay to play. It's obvious. Nenshi would not be going to an event where there was no fundraising. Which is fine, it's legal and it happens all the time. Much like Wenzel's "secret" meeting where he too fund raised for his public figures, which Nenshi likened to a scene out of a mafia film, the ethics are extremely debatable though.

Pay 2000-5000 and get a private audience with Nenshi with 20 other like minded individuals. That's what it was, that's what everyone with half a brain knows it was. Let's not try to act like it was poor wording on the invitation, no one was misinformed, it was was it was.

The issue is Nenshi and his cronies coming out and calling anyone who disagrees with "pay to play" as dummies and saying that it wasn't the case, further insulting our intelligence. The simple fact is, without the promise of upwards of 100,000 dollars, no one in that invitation list was going to get that one on one discussion time with Nenshi.

And let's take a further look at who sent out the invitations, and came up with the "poorly worded" invite. Bill Chomik. A volunteer for the Nenshi campaign who had all but secured a huge fundraising for Nenshi had the invitation not gotten into the hands of a reporter...he also happens to have a nice cushy appointment as the Chair for the Calgary Subdivision and Development Appeals Board. I wonder how he ever got that job.
Wow... quite a bit of assumptions in here, I'd definitely think twice about posting something like this.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:44 PM   #2676
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow... quite a bit of assumptions in here, I'd definitely think twice about posting something like this.
What assumptions?

I'm sure he's qualified, but if you don't think a solid relationship with the Mayor of Calgary would be beneficial in getting a position with a City Board, especially as it's the City Council that appoints them. I would question if you've dealt with any sort of business. It's all about who you know.

I do think it's perfectly reasonable to expect a chair of a board like that not to host a $100,000 fundraiser for the mayor to at least avoid any such perceived conflict. But apparently Nenshi is perfectly happy with that, and anyone who would question the potential conflict and ethics of it is a dummy.

Whether there was anything actual "shady" going on or not. The fact is, a Chair of a board who was elected by City Council organized a fundraiser with upwards of $100,000 on the line for the very same person who had voted on his appointment. That's a concern to me as a private citizen, and I would hope it would be to you as well.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 06-28-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:50 PM   #2677
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What assumptions?

I'm sure he's qualified, but if you don't think a solid relationship with the Mayor of Calgary would be beneficial in getting a position with a City Board, especially as it's the council that appoints them. I would question if you've dealt with any sort of business. It's all about who you know.
Again, I wouldn't comment on this process if you don't know the facts first-hand.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #2678
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again, I wouldn't comment on this process if you don't know the facts first-hand.
What are the facts?

The position of Chair for the Calgary Subdivision and Development Appeals Board is appointed by City Council.

The Chair for the Calgary Subdivision and Development Appeals Board organized an exclusive access lunch meeting with the Mayor of the City.

The invatation, written by the Chair of the Calgary Subdivision and Development Appeals Board, asked attendants to donate between $2000 to $5000 with the $5000 being encouraged. With the 20 invites, this was a potential $100,000 fundraising event.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3557499/qu...ve-fundraiser/
Quote:
"Bill Chomic had organized an event Wednesday in which invited participants were asked to pony up to $5,000 for a two-hour lunch with Nenshi, although “any amount over $2,000 would be appreciated,” the invitation stated.
When his term is up, the Chair of the Calgary Subdivision and Development Appeals Board will once again have his appointment voted on by the City Council, of which that Mayor is currently a member of.

Please, correct me if any of these facts are incorrect and I will edit as necessary.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #2679
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The issue is no one is going to pay five g's for lunch with Chabot. He's not mayor. That gives the mayor a pretty huge advantage.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:01 PM   #2680
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What are the facts?

The position of Chair for the Calgary Subdivision and Development Appeals Board is appointed by City Council.

The Chair for the Calgary Subdivision and Development Appeals Board organized an exclusive access lunch meeting with the Mayor of the City.

The invatation, written by the Chair of the Calgary Subdivision and Development Appeals Board, asked attendants to donate between $2000 to $5000 with the $5000 being encouraged. With the 20 invites, this was a potential $100,000 fundraising event.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3557499/qu...ve-fundraiser/

When his term is up, the Chair of the Calgary Subdivision and Development Appeals Board will once again have his appointment voted on by the City Council, of which that Mayor is currently a member of.

Please, correct me if any of these facts are incorrect.
This isn't about the event. You implied Nenshi helped secure that Board position for that individual... but you don't know how that appointment happened and how it was decided upon. But boy, you sure like to think you do. I'm just telling you to have ALL the facts before making assumptions like this, and it is clear that you don't.

Tags
ask me anything , nenshiisashill , purple