Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #381
carom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Edit: The Southcentre theatre is where I first saw Toy Story. And ya, the Wizard's Castle downstairs, and the pet store right beside it with the fish pond at the entrance. Good times.
Wasn’t that a laser illusions under the southcenter food court? I remember the sega genesis room, and the Hologram game.
dear god is he 14?
carom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #382
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carom View Post
Wasn’t that a laser illusions under the southcenter food court? I remember the sega genesis room, and the Hologram game.
I believe Laser Illusions was older, and a bit further into the mall. Closer to the central escalator. Memory is a lot more fuzzy on this one, but I seem to remember picking out which NES games you wanted to play.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #383
carom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I believe Laser Illusions was older, and a bit further into the mall. Closer to the central escalator. Memory is a lot more fuzzy on this one, but I seem to remember picking out which NES games you wanted to play.
Yeah I thought LI was in the back corner.

Remember when Mcloud trail didnt have overpasses? I remember the one on canyon medowns drive seemed to take forever to build and I was soooo choked when it wasnt a 4 leaf clover? Why build a overpass with lights in place of a intersection with lights?
dear god is he 14?
carom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #384
Domoic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Domoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #385
parch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Ahh the ECS yearbook. A couple things I remember from mine are:

When asked what your parents did while you were at school, one friend replied "My dad plays in bands and my mom plays computer games".

Another question asked what you would wish for if you had one wish. My friend replied "I would put lots of fluoride in the water so all the people in Calgary can have nice healthy teeth."

The two replies of mine that I remember were: My dream job was to play for the Flames, and I thought the most money in the world was "infinity dollars".

Edit: The Southcentre theatre is where I first saw Toy Story. And ya, the Wizard's Castle downstairs, and the pet store right beside it with the fish pond at the entrance. Good times.

That was very nice of your friend to wish for everybody to have nice teeth! hahah.

I totally forgot about the pet store... that place was awesome too! I loved the room where all the fish were 'cause it was dark and all the fish tanks glowed.

Another thing, there was a school in Kingsland with a huge tire park. I think it was a french elementary school, but I could be wrong. They just had a bunch of old truck tires and stuff... some of them were pretty huge. That's been replaced by a regular boring park now. My brother and I used to go there while staying with my Grandma when we didn't have school. One day we had off (apparently this school didn't) and we were playing there, and the recess/lunch bell rang, and hundreds of kids came sprinting out of the school to the park, and they were all dressed as clowns. It was creepy, and they weren't very nice to us. I remember I was down inside a pile of tires and they wouldn't let me out. Possibly where my hate/fear of clowns came from lol.
parch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #386
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...3939106&ref=mf

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #387
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
What is the history behind that place? Why is it named that?
There is also an Eamon Rd., so possibly named after an Eamon Family. I recall it being a motel of sorts in later years. I can see in my mind a row of light blue coloured cabins.

Last edited by flamesfever; 07-20-2010 at 12:56 PM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #388
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

In the early 60's, a popular place to go dancing was the "Isle of Capri", located in downtown Calgary.

Another popular spot, at the time, was the Lone Pine Supper Club, located away out 17th Ave SW. I recall my Dad doing the limbo, there one night, with a broken ankle.

Last edited by flamesfever; 07-20-2010 at 01:23 PM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #389
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why build a overpass with lights in place of a intersection with lights?
Cloverleaf interchanges allow for continuous traffic feeding onto a road in. Macleod trail could not accomodate a continuous flow traffic feed at that location due to its proximity to Fish Creek Park (limited build space), the location of Bannister Road and the need to provide a southbound access point to it and the proximity of the James McKevitt Road exit in relation to Canyon Meadows Drive. Factor in everything and there was neither the room nor the capacity for a cloverleaf interchange.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #390
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domoic View Post
That's the one, they were great after putting them in the freezer for a couple of hours. This picture really takes me back - Thanks!
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to North East Goon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #391
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domoic View Post

As a kid, those chocolate bars seemed like they were 3 feet long!
Methanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Methanolic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #392
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Norm Edwards thank you! A friend and me were trying to remember his name a few days back and it's bugging me every since.
Good Norming!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #393
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

"Transfer Please?"
Methanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Methanolic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #394
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Jesus, there's some real old people on CP.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #395
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
That's what I thought too. Eamon's Camp. I wonder if that building is protected as a historical resource as there aren't many Art Deco gas stations around.
As far as I know, the City is in negotiations to acquire the Eamon property to use as (in true Calgary fashion) parking.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #396
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Jesus, there's some real old people on CP.
I'd rather have them than fake old people.
The Following User Says Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #397
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I thought LI was in the back corner.

Remember when Mcloud trail didnt have overpasses? I remember the one on canyon medowns drive seemed to take forever to build and I was soooo choked when it wasnt a 4 leaf clover? Why build a overpass with lights in place of a intersection with lights?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Cloverleaf interchanges allow for continuous traffic feeding onto a road in. Macleod trail could not accomodate a continuous flow traffic feed at that location due to its proximity to Fish Creek Park (limited build space), the location of Bannister Road and the need to provide a southbound access point to it and the proximity of the James McKevitt Road exit in relation to Canyon Meadows Drive. Factor in everything and there was neither the room nor the capacity for a cloverleaf interchange.
Here's some more info on "why not a cloverleaf?"

Quote:
Why Not Build a Cloverleaf?

There are many technical elements for a transportation designer to consider when designing an interchange. Some key factors that often negate the use of a full cloverleaf include:

-Weaving and traffic volumes
-Safety
-Land availability

In urban areas, left turning volumes are often very high at major intersections. On a full cloverleaf design, all left turning movements use the loop ramps and generate weaving maneuvers. The problem arises in the area of the weave between two loop ramps. If the volume entering the loop is high, coupled with a high volume of exiting traffic from an adjacent loop, then the weave required to get from one loop to the next cannot be made in a smooth transition. Eventually, vehicles begin stopping in the weave area which contributes to serious accidents, particularly on major high-speed thoroughfares and when there is only a short distance available for weaving.

As a result, The City of Calgary has removed loops in two cloverleaf interchanges at Blackfoot Trail/Glenmore Trail and at Sarcee Trail/Trans Canada Highway. Similarly, The City of Toronto has removed all of its cloverleaf interchanges.

Another factor influencing the choice of interchange design is the amount of land a full cloverleaf requires. To build a cloverleaf safely and in accordance with accepted design standards, it requires a large area (please refer to the diagram available for download on the right of your screen).

The use of a full cloverleaf for interchanges on major roadways is not recommended for many city situations due to high traffic volumes. Cloverleafs are most appropriate for applications in rural areas with low turning movements and low traffic volumes.
Link
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #398
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We only had AM for top 40, try and comprehend that.

107 was the first top 40 fm or top 107 (I think) dusty in here, cof cof

Wiki,
Quote:
The station was launched on April 15, 1982 as CKIK-FM, and first broadcast an adult album rock format. Throughout the 1980s and much of the 1990s, CKIK-FM (known on-air as 107 KIK FM and later as Rock 107) played a variety of rock formats.

Last edited by Pinner; 07-20-2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: wiki quote
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #399
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
As far as I know, the City is in negotiations to acquire the Eamon property to use as (in true Calgary fashion) parking.
Seriously? That would be a nightmare. Bulldoze a unique character building and pave it for parking... typical.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #400
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by parch View Post
Another thing, there was a school in Kingsland with a huge tire park. I think it was a french elementary school, but I could be wrong. They just had a bunch of old truck tires and stuff... some of them were pretty huge. That's been replaced by a regular boring park now. My brother and I used to go there while staying with my Grandma when we didn't have school. One day we had off (apparently this school didn't) and we were playing there, and the recess/lunch bell rang, and hundreds of kids came sprinting out of the school to the park, and they were all dressed as clowns. It was creepy, and they weren't very nice to us. I remember I was down inside a pile of tires and they wouldn't let me out. Possibly where my hate/fear of clowns came from lol.
Wow. What a great story.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time