Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #11681
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Just because he's faltered this season doesn't give him negative value?
It's funny how many people on here think they're the next NHL GM.

His value is still extremely strong, he's still a consistent 20g+ scoring C in the NHL every year since coming into the league.

Last 6 seasons he is ranked 34th amongst Forwards in the NHL @ 343pts
Johnny is ranked 11th @ 419
Ovechkin 10th @ 425

He's not having a good season that's for sure, but 3/4 of the team is having a terrible season. You don't bet everything on the outlier seasons and call players booms or busts.

His value is still there, he's still an extremely effective player but this season has been an abysmal ride for the Flames not named Zebulon.

You are living in the past. Monny is a different player today.

Check his stats over the last 2.5 seasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2021, 11:53 AM   #11682
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fiala for Monahan is abhorrent. Y'all are crazy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 11:54 AM   #11683
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Where's Makar? View Post
I could see Minnesota wanting to upgrade their centre ice position and Monahan would be a massive upgrade on Bonino and Rask.

Monahan for Fiala

Monny isn’t likely to trade Fiala, and certainly not for Monny.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:54 AM   #11684
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

lol kind of an unintentionally funny bit on NHL Network Radio right now. One of the hosts talking about the Flames roster and possible trades, suggests that Brad Treliving might want to take a long hard look at his roster at the end of the season.

The hottest of takes.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:56 AM   #11685
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some teams may value a player like Monahan but his value has dropped a lot compared to a few years ago. If you think teams are looking at his 2018/19 stats thinking he's still that player and the last few seasons are outliers then you have to assume that teams still think Jeff Skinner is the same guy that scored 40 goals in 2018/19. We all know Jeff Skinner is not the same player just as we know Monahan is also not that same player. NHL GM's may be the worst in professional sports but they aren't that dumb.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:00 PM   #11686
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you look at all the terrible decisions Treliving made when he wasn’t under pressure it’s pretty terrifying to picture him making big desperation changes while on the hot seat. Things are bad but they can always get worse

New guy please. One with an actual vision of how he wants the team to play. Still not sure what Brad’s vision was if he ever had one.

I’d be totally on board with a new hire being patient next season before making any big moves
Old 05-03-2021, 12:02 PM   #11687
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Both trades are completely terrible:

Oliver Bjorkstrand totals: (career high)
Goals - 23
Assists - 29
Pts - 40

Kevin Fiala totals: (career high)
Goals - 23
Assits - 31
Pts - 54

Comparison:

Sean
G - 34
A- 48
Pts - 82

Johnny
G - 36
A - 63
Pts - 99

Johnny > Bjorkstrand
Monahan > Fiala

So we cant stand/want to get rid of our 2 "struggling forwards" and we're calling both the replacement players "TOP-Line scoring forwards"?

We are losing both trades, trading away the better player both times.
Terrible asset management and would cripple this franchise even further.

Sorry I cant agree here and would pass.
They play on lower scoring defense focused teams

Lukewarm on trading Gaudreau but if you can get Fiala for the ghost of Sean Monahan you yell start the car
Old 05-03-2021, 12:18 PM   #11688
Dude Where's Makar?
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Both trades are completely terrible:

Kevin Fiala totals: (career high)
Goals - 23
Assits - 31
Pts - 54

Comparison:

Sean
G - 34
A- 48
Pts - 82

Monahan > Fiala

So we cant stand/want to get rid of our 2 "struggling forwards" and we're calling both the replacement players "TOP-Line scoring forwards"?

We are losing both trades, trading away the better player both times.
Terrible asset management and would cripple this franchise even further.

Sorry I cant agree here and would pass.
Is Monahan currently an 82 PT centre? I don't think Monahan will touch 70pt again and will be lucky to hit 60pts again. He doesn't drive play, he's slow, and always left wanting more.

Fiala is the better player today and likely the much better player down the road.

We can't keep pointing at past accomplishments as the norm. Monahan is declining and Fiala is on the rise. He skates well, engages in board battles, and is a clutch scorer. We win that trade.

Agree to disagree.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dude Where's Makar? For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 12:22 PM   #11689
Dude Where's Makar?
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post

Lukewarm on trading Gaudreau but if you can get Fiala for the ghost of Sean Monahan you yell start the car
Exactly.

The system/coaching style that players play under dramatically affect offensive production. We see it all the time with players in Arizona, Minnesota, CBJ, etc.

You have to have the right players to play in the right system. That's why I looked at skilled wingers like Fiala and Bjorkstrand that know and produce well in defensive systems.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #11690
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

wrong thread
Old 05-03-2021, 12:30 PM   #11691
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Any Eichel trade would have to involve Tkachuk as a piece. No other Flames asset would be enough to be a centerpiece. It would be tricky to make the cap work, but it's possible. Buffalo has a lot of RFAs and UFAs that are due for raises.
Otherwise nothing else comes close. We might think Tkachuk's QO requirement is a problem, but I still think Buffalo would love the long term control. The Flames would still have to add a substantial amount. Maybe Tkachuk + Dube + 2021 1st.

I think huge trades like this are one of only two ways to escape perpetual mediocrity. The other being tanking.

Honestly, I think the Eichel route is more likely thank full-out tanking.
But even with Eichel, there would be a lot of ifs, ands, and buts.
It would really just be a hail mary.

At least it would make things exciting for a while.
Would Buffalo bite on Tkachuk + Monahan for Eichel? Not sure what other moves might need to be taken to make salaries work, but it might be a reasonable basis in that both sides are trading somewhat devalued assets hoping for a rebound.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:32 PM   #11692
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post

Monahan has generally played on lower scoring teams, aside from 2018-19.

His two years under GG, for example, the team was 18th and 27th respectively in GF. Under Hartley (when Monahan was on the team) the team was 27th, 16th (the PO year) and 26th in GF.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:34 PM   #11693
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Monahan, Hanifin, Pelletier and a 1st for Eichel?

That meets the quota laid out earlier that they would only move him for “four 1st round picks.”
Old 05-03-2021, 12:42 PM   #11694
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Fiala for Monahan is abhorrent. Y'all are crazy.
I think it'd be terrible for Minnesota...

Old 05-03-2021, 12:42 PM   #11695
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Where's Makar? View Post
Is Monahan currently an 82 PT centre? I don't think Monahan will touch 70pt again and will be lucky to hit 60pts again. He doesn't drive play, he's slow, and always left wanting more.

Fiala is the better player today and likely the much better player down the road.

We can't keep pointing at past accomplishments as the norm. Monahan is declining and Fiala is on the rise. He skates well, engages in board battles, and is a clutch scorer. We win that trade.

Agree to disagree.
Really that season was almost a tale of two seasons for him as well. He was very hot with Gaudreau and Lindholm to start the season and did fade a fair bit at the end. He had 60 points in the first 52 games and then 22 in the last 26. The next season it's 48 in 70 games, and this year he is pacing for 48 over an 82 game season. Even in 17-18 he had a good first half with 41 in the first 44 but than had 23 in the last 30.

The trend is there where he can start off pretty well, but does fade off in the second half. Than you have this last two seasons where he has not even started off all that hot. There seems to be some evidence that he does struggle to get thru an entire season and by the end of most seasons he's pretty beat up. This year seeing the goal total fall is somewhat concerning. Maybe he bounces back, but past data suggests it's unlikely he get's to 30 goals again, and any bounce back in scoring is likely to be pretty moderate.

If it's injury related I hate to fault the guy as much of that is out of his control. He went from being a player that you wouldn't consider trading to a guy who now produces too far South of his contract and you're forced to use him in a role that he's badly suited to do.

At this point I see Backlund as essentially being his equal with a much more rounded game. Fiala to me is a pretty clear cut top 6 winger who can play in the top 6 and get 25 goals, and possibly more. So to me, I see a better fit to move out a guy who could be miscast ast the third line center for a top 6 RW'er who's future production I am more comfortable placing a bet on. That said Fiala is another left handed shooter, and I don't get to see enough Wild games to know where they tend to use him.

If Monahan bounces back and has 25 goals and 60 points next year, I'll happily take all the mocking that comes my way. But I would set an over under at 49.5 points for him next year and happily take the under. Being among Alberta's statistically poor..I could maybe afford to lay down one $20 bet against another CP'er. But I'll do that bet, even if he did get traded.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 05-03-2021 at 12:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 12:43 PM   #11696
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Monahan, Hanifin, Pelletier and a 1st for Eichel?

That meets the quota laid out earlier that they would only move him for “four 1st round picks.”
We should have kept Jankowski, Lazar, Poirier, Klimchuk, Shinkaruk, Colborne, Forbort and Rychel, just for this scenario.

"We will give you 8 first rounders".
Old 05-03-2021, 12:46 PM   #11697
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
We should have kept Jankowski, Lazar, Poirier, Klimchuk, Shinkaruk, Colborne, Forbort and Rychel, just for this scenario.

Reminds me of Darryl Sutter bragging about having the most 20 goal scorers in the NHL, when it boasted the likes of Chris Higgins, Nik Hagman and Ales Kotalik.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:55 PM   #11698
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

Lol

Well they have to have maintained 1st round calibre production and capabilities.

Most of those guys became equal to mid round picks in short order.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:58 PM   #11699
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/...huk-these-days
Old 05-03-2021, 12:59 PM   #11700
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
You are living in the past. Monny is a different player today.

Check his stats over the last 2.5 seasons.

Sam Bennett had 12 points last season