Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #81
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube View Post
Not trying to hijack. What’s people’s advice for Angles games? Going in June, are scalpers a good idea? Is it possible to get autographs form a guy like Trout?
I’ve found stubhub to be the best bet for MLB games, particularly for low-demand games. Last time we were in Anaheim we got club seats (located next to the private boxes, in seat food/drink delivery) for around $55 a seat USD. I’ve had similar results in Seattle.

Never tried the autograph thing.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:16 PM   #82
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

be careful

MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:20 PM   #83
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
I’ve found stubhub to be the best bet for MLB games, particularly for low-demand games. Last time we were in Anaheim we got club seats (located next to the private boxes, in seat food/drink delivery) for around $55 a seat USD. I’ve had similar results in Seattle.

Never tried the autograph thing.
I went to a game back in April 2015 with a friend, and we got 2 tickets about 90mins before game time at ticket window. It was about $50 USD a seat to the right of 3rd base just under 2nd balcony.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:57 PM   #84
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Can we please not post garbage Tim Pool videos in the Disneyland thread? Thanks.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:08 PM   #85
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Can we please not post garbage Tim Pool videos in the Disneyland thread? Thanks.
It is also California travel advice - the video is completely relevant, regardless of what your opinion on someone is. Don't watch it.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:12 PM   #86
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Travel advice are things like transportation, hotels, etc. Not Tim Pool videos.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:37 PM   #87
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
It is also California travel advice - the video is completely relevant, regardless of what your opinion on someone is. Don't watch it.
Well except that California hotels are not cesspools.

That's so dumb, I can't really believe I have to type it out. WTF dude?

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 09:12 AM   #88
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Time to necro a thread. Anyone stayed at Paradise Pier at Disneyland?

The wife and I are looking at trip in the future here, possibly November. Things have changed since we last went almost 10 years ago, with this Genie+ and lightning lanes replacing the fast pass.

Anyone been recently with tips for booking?
Old 01-26-2024, 09:16 AM   #89
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Just you and the wife? kids too?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 09:24 AM   #90
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Time to necro a thread. Anyone stayed at Paradise Pier at Disneyland?

The wife and I are looking at trip in the future here, possibly November. Things have changed since we last went almost 10 years ago, with this Genie+ and lightning lanes replacing the fast pass.

Anyone been recently with tips for booking?
Pay for Genie+ which will cover most rides and then just eat the lineups for the individual genie+ lines.

Become familiar with the app because you use it for the night and theater shows to book and you need to be booking within seconds of it opening for things like world of colour.

I like Ridemax to build out an itenerary. It optimizes waiting times in the park. But you have to a person who wants to follow a plan rather than do whatever you feel like. Works for my brain.

I think park hopper is unnecessary and a day in each park is enough.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 09:39 AM   #91
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes Genie+ is helpful. Book the really popular rides first thing in the morning, the wait times for lightning passes get longer and longer as the day goes. For the really popular rides that aren't eligible for the Genie+ lightning passes you just have to suck it up and deal with the lines unless money is no object - the individual ride lightning passes don't seem like a very good deal to me.

I went last November, speaking from experience don't go close to US Thanksgiving, it got crazy busy.

Also the benefits of staying at one of the Disney hotels aren't as big as they used to be, instead of 1 hour early you only get in a half hour early now. The price of staying there has also gone way up.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 09:46 AM   #92
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hop on YouTube and watch the various videos from the Disney experts so that you can maximize Genie+. I went about two years ago and without a thorough understanding and the tips from those videos it would not have been as good an experience. They are constantly tweaking the system as well so you need to stay up to date with the changes.

Also bring a power bank for your phone because you might be on Genie+ a lot throughout the day and if your phone dies you are screwed.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 10:10 AM   #93
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Wow great info right off the hop.

we are bringing our two little ones, they will be 7.5 and 4.5 years old. I know.. some people have cautioned us against it, while others have said just make the most of it.

I was 3.5 years old when I went and I still remember quite a bit to be honest.

We were looking at staying on resort with such little guys to try and alleviate as much walking as possible. But ya it is quite the price hike.

We will definitely do this Genie+ especially for people like us who only come down once a decade. The extra money seems very worth it.
Old 01-26-2024, 10:11 AM   #94
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/ge...venture-guide/

Check out this guide for Disney plus.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 10:20 AM   #95
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

we are bringing our two little ones, they will be 7.5 and 4.5 years old. I know.. some people have cautioned us against it, while others have said just make the most of it.

We were looking at staying on resort with such little guys to try and alleviate as much walking as possible. But ya it is quite the price hike.

We will definitely do this Genie+ especially for people like us who only come down once a decade. The extra money seems very worth it.
Just a heads up, Paradise Pier is a bit of a walk. Not insane, but probably a solid 15 minutes to the gates with kids. At that distance, you can stay for far far cheaper on the east side of the park.

I think the Californian (or whatever it’s actually called) is the one actually on the resort and the absolute closest if that’s the game and you want to go “full Disney.” The rest get further as they go, and Paradise is the furthest.

Walking distance doesn’t matter a lot in the morning, but having been there with my cousins when they were little, it’s an absolute nightmare if you want to go back to the hotel for lunch/for a break or you’re beat at the end of the day from walking 8-10 hours in the park. The kids will hate it.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 01-26-2024 at 10:23 AM.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 10:22 AM   #96
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We just did this gong show in December. Our kids are 3 and 5, so a stroller was a must for us. Honestly, it might be worth it to rent a stroller for you 4.5 year old….we were averaging 20000 steps per day. We didn’t end up doing genie+ just because our kids were too small for many of the rides that have massive lines. We did 5 days and it was a lot, but for our kids’ age it meant we didn’t have to rush each day. We also made sure to get a nap/quiet time in each day back at the hotel. We went the park hopper route each day and honestly I’m not sure that was required knowing what we know now. Mobile ordering for food was definitely a major win for us!

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any specific questions!
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 10:27 AM   #97
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Something you might want to consider since your youngest is 4.5 is the ride height requirements. If you only go once a decade it might be worth it to wait a couple years until your oldest can do most or all the rides so they can get the full experience. It might suck for them if their sibling or the rest of the family can go on certain rides while they sit on the bench waiting. That is the approach that we took.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 10:43 AM   #98
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Here are some general lessons learned we had from our trip:
- bring two pairs of shoes for each person to try and avoid blisters or sore feet
- we purchased Disney gift cards and used them for many purchases as it seemed to be a better conversion rate than our credit cards
- as said before, mobile ordering was a key to success for our meals
- someone else mentioned a power bank for your phone, that is very important
- our kids loved pin trading; you can get official pins on eBay for pretty cheap
- Bippity Boppity boutique was a favorite for the kids
- Droid building was super cool
- we used a travel agent to book our restaurant reservations that we wanted and then planned our days from there.
- our kids loved the parade
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 12:27 PM   #99
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Has anyone bothered with the Disney credit card to build up their disney dollars or whatever leading up to the trip? Seems like it probably earns at the same rate as any actual cash back card.

As for the Pier hotel being far away, it is a hike for sure, but my understanding is that it is only a few minutes away from DCA with even it's own hotel guests entrance?

We were planning 2 days at Disneyland and 2 at DCA just because with the kids we know will move slow and have to retreat mid day.

When we went just the two of us we did both parks in 2 days basically every ride. So I have a bit of an understanding of how impossible it would be to duplicate that.

Good tips about the little ones for ride requirements. We have kind of planned on doing some divide and conquer. Like while the little one is doing the Boutique that would be the day I lightning pass the bigger rides that my older one can actually do. I have heard that the ride share or line swap or whatever it is works pretty good for being able to take turns on a ride?

We were also planning to bring our own stroller down as it will still fit the four year old and we have an add on the back for the 7 year old to just stand on a platform and hold on while we push.

As for putting it off, while I appreciate the insight and think it is very good advice, I think we are past that. We've already been putting it off for years and honestly my Dad passed away this year, a good mortality reminder, a lot of things I wanted to do with him I just kept 'putting off', including taking him with us. So we decided no more putting off. We are doing this.
Old 01-26-2024, 12:32 PM   #100
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Make sure to check out the Stab Yourself In The Eye booth. For $27.95 they give you a sharp stick you can use you stab yourself right in the eye.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote