Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #781
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

People rush to get on so they can stow their carry on directly above them. Airlines have created the problem.

That's what I assume at least.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #782
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I like to go where I can see planes, and chances are the gate areas are where the windows are. Also nice to get some seats there and set up shop with the kidlets, bring food and such to them there and let them be comfy and relaxed.

However we are in no rush to get on the plane, we prefer boarding right at the end and give the kids time to run around and get some energy out before the flight.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #783
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Watching the planes is something I like to do too but I find most airports have an area that is usually better for that than the gate. Like that McDonalds in Frankfurts main terminal. Plus, kids love McDonalds!
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #784
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
People rush to get on so they can stow their carry on directly above them. Airlines have created the problem.

I've never understood why that's the case. There's plenty of room under the seat in front of you with easier access in-flight, and if it can't fit, your bag is too big. Honestly, that should be the measuring stick. I travel lots, and only up until recently I learned you could bring two carry-ons on most flights; I was shocked. I just assumed one was the limit. No wonder people rush to get seats, er, storage space.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #785
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Why do people go to the gate before boarding time anyways? It's like people have this weird obsession with getting on the plane ASAP. Samething with the lineups for boarding. Planes not going to leave without you. Calm your ####.

If I trusted myself to hear a PA announcement, I'd wait until they called my name to board. Zero rush to get in the uncomfortable seat that I will be stuck in for the next few hours.
I have an irrational fear of missing my flight...if I'm at the gate, I know I'll make it on. I can sit back with a book and relax until boarding time.

I refuse to get into that massively long boarding line though. I'll wait that out as long as possible so that I don't have to wait for people to struggle through stowing their carry-on, finding their seat, etc. Every airline should adopt the zone boarding system, and banish the passengers that refuse to follow it.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #786
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post

I think impatience and a lack of courtesy initiated the problem, it's been an issue since my first flight many years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
I have an irrational fear of missing my flight...if I'm at the gate, I know I'll make it on. I can sit back with a book and relax until boarding time.
I like to have a pint or snack before my flight so I prefer the Call To Gate systems as it allows me to relax longer in the establishment and provides a greater pool of establishments from which I can pick.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #787
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Why do people go to the gate before boarding time anyways? It's like people have this weird obsession with getting on the plane ASAP. Samething with the lineups for boarding. Planes not going to leave without you. Calm your ####.

If I trusted myself to hear a PA announcement, I'd wait until they called my name to board. Zero rush to get in the uncomfortable seat that I will be stuck in for the next few hours.
I would rather sit and read my book rather than shopping and I would like to do it near where I'm supposed to be, rather than some random spot. If I don't know the airport well, I would like to find the correct gate, rather than have to search at the last minute and feel stressed out.

As for getting on the plane, if I have a window seat, I want to sit down and relax before the plane gets swarmed with people trying to cram all their luggage in the bins. Again, sit down and read my book, ignoring the rest. If I sit an extra 15 minutes out of a long flight, who cares?
Amethyst is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #788
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm a bit annoyed by this gate to call system they are planning. I'm paying to fly, not be corralled into a shopping mall. Especially with kids in tow. I should know the gate when they know it.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueski For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2015, 02:26 PM   #789
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I've never understood why that's the case. There's plenty of room under the seat in front of you with easier access in-flight, and if it can't fit, your bag is too big.
But where do you put your feet??? or is this just a tall person problem?
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #790
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

First experience with the call to gate system was a year or so ago at Luton when hopping over to Ireland, and then again in Ireland (Shannon)on the return trip to Gatwick as well.

I am assuming the gate areas will be smaller in the new terminal, and the common areas are larger to accomodate this. In Luton its a smaller airport than Calgary obviously, but the shopping and food court (post security) were central, along with a lot of seating.

We only found out what gate we were to be at about 20 minutes before boarding, as its on the screens. You went straight to the gate (5 min walk) and basically lined up and someone was there to start the boarding right away.

I don't recall anything along the way as far as coffee places or convenience stores, so once you leave the central area, outside of a bathroom stop, it's all business;there's no amenities. Allows for efficiency consolidating food services and security for such, and yes, also in turn attracts retail partners for having all the passengers "forced" to be within proximity of those stores for a half our or so before they find out their gate.

I am guessing possibly only on domestic flights? Allows the ground crew/ATC to be more flexible with the gates that flights get assigned to when arriving.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:40 PM   #791
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post

I refuse to get into that massively long boarding line though. I'll wait that out as long as possible so that I don't have to wait for people to struggle through stowing their carry-on, finding their seat, etc. Every airline should adopt the zone boarding system, and banish the passengers that refuse to follow it.
I also have an irrational fear of missing my flight. On more than one occasion I was the first person through security at YQY.

When connecting I always find my next gate, then if I haven't been in the airport before I'll explore as much of the airport I have access to. If I have been in the airport before I then look for the closest bar/establishment to grab a drink/food.

With YHZ if I'm flying the Dash home I'll be at Beaches, if not usually Legends.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:25 PM   #792
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about not hearing PA calls, I believe there will also be plenty of screens around showing the flights and the gate to go to.

But like I said, if you are flying on some of our international flights it's not like there are a huge amount. You'd be able to figure out your gate pretty quick. Flying KLM? Go look for the big blue bird, etc.

Also of note is that in the lead up to the new terminal opening the airport authority will be conducting trials to simulate operations. They'll need people to sign up for these trials and do different tasks to simulate the place up and running, so they can make changes and tweaks before opening. Monitor this website for more details:

http://www.yyc.com/calgaryairportaut...al/trials.aspx
Volunteer? Phhhhhtttt.

At least give me a beer a test if i can drink it before my name is called

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:14 PM   #793
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Correct, they are doing a "Call to Gate" system. So you go through security and then on the secure side they'll have a central area (one each for USA and International flights) with all the shops and services, then at a certain time before your flight they announce the gate it will be departing from.

Not sure I'm a fan of it, but it would be pretty easy to figure out your gate I think for certain flights/airlines if you wanted to settle in at the gate area.
Isn't this how T3 at Heathrow works (is that where Air Canada runs?) You basically sit in this big open space and then they will call you for boarding.

T5 kind of does that as well, but it's more about getting you to their satellite areas too, without overrunning them.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:41 PM   #794
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueski View Post
I'm a bit annoyed by this gate to call system they are planning. I'm paying to fly, not be corralled into a shopping mall. Especially with kids in tow. I should know the gate when they know it.
Technically, you are paying the airline to fly and they are paying the airport to use their gates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Isn't this how T3 at Heathrow works (is that where Air Canada runs?) You basically sit in this big open space and then they will call you for boarding.

T5 kind of does that as well, but it's more about getting you to their satellite areas too, without overrunning them.
Air Canada use to be located in T3 but they are now located in T2. As with T3 and T5, T2 is Call-To-Gate but more like T5. I think YYC will be more like T3.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:57 PM   #795
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Word of warning: some airlines do not call your name. They just close the gates. Almost learned that one the hard way on a United flight last week. Just made it when I wandered over to the gate.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:12 PM   #796
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
Technically, you are paying the airline to fly and they are paying the airport to use their gates.
Well if you want to get technical, It's called a bridge fee. They also pay a landing fee and apron fees if they stay more than four hours excluding night hours.Taking off is free. Flying customers pay the Airport Improvement Fee.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:12 PM   #797
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post

Man, last time I was in T5 I waited and waited for my gate to get posted. Way past the time it was supposed to post (<10 min to boarding) it finally posts and it is out at the infield terminal (C gates I think?). Book it downstairs to the underground tram that takes you out there. Packed of course with everyone else who had been waiting. I made it, but not by much.

I don't mind call to gate, but that one time was a s*** show.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #798
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flying WJ to Palm soon. Looking forward to a day when their terminal isn't a giant gongshow of drywall, sardines and humanity
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #799
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Watching the planes is something I like to do too but I find most airports have an area that is usually better for that than the gate. Like that McDonalds in Frankfurts main terminal. Plus, kids love McDonalds!
Whoop. I know where that is.

I liked watching the 747s and A330 double Deckers. I call them big boy planes

Although I'm usually in a miserable ass mood in Frankfurt from long ass flights.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #800
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So you're telling me I shouldn't rush to the gate, and your recommendation is that instead I go to McDonalds?
Amethyst is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc