Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 03:49 PM   #21
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing says "well adjusted human being" like living your life based on teachings from a fiction book written over 2000 years ago

Makes total sense to me
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 03:52 PM   #22
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, the underlying current of him not respecting or supporting the activity or lifestyle is just a veiled way of saying that it's a behavior or "it's a choice", and not a fundamental fact of their personhood. How are we not past this idea?

Hey James, I want to love everyone, but I cannot respect or support your activity or lifestyle as a intolerant, dogmatic, religious zealot and bigot.

Now, can I go out and wear a jersey that says #### James Reimer? It's all fair then, yeah? Everyone's free to express themselves and support their personal convictions then, right?

But I won't do that because it would be socially inappropriate and deeply hurtful to James Reimer, and he would feel marginalized and outcast, and made to feel like he couldn't express himself freely.

Tolerance is a conscious choice not to be an ####### all the time and keep things to yourself. Nobody asked you to voice your opinions on LGBTQ lifestyle or how it conflicts with your faith. Keep it to yourself.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 03:54 PM   #23
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

"I can't because I'm Christian".

Can you try because you're a human being?
Old 03-18-2023, 03:56 PM   #24
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's almost as if these idiots believe that wearing a Pride jersey means that they are contractually obligated to participate in an homosexual act.

It's on par with Derek Ryan getting traded to the Kraken, then refusing to wear their practice jersey because it has a Starbucks patch on it and claiming it is because his LDS faith prevents him from supporting coffee.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:59 PM   #25
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
You can't fault people for thinking he said that. It's literally a scripted line in his biopic film.

I still need to watch that. Had no idea that was a line in the movie.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:59 PM   #26
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

So the organization and over 90 percent of its employees are supportive
Seems like a better proportion than in society, overwhelming support.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:02 PM   #27
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Still think the worse is John Tortorella saying he would sit/punish any player who sat during the anthem.

Like, that was a peaceful protest against violence against Black people, police brutality, and prejudice.

But no, Torts ain't havin' it. Gotta show unwavering patriotism and "respect" for the anthem and flag.

#### that. It should be about making our world a better place - for everyone. Not turning your brain off in blind "national pride"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to カナダ人です For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 04:05 PM   #28
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Not just a sin, a death sentence!

King James. Leviticus chapter 20, verse 13:

“If a man has intercourse with a man as with a woman, both commit an abomination. They must be put to death.”

The Bible is a very large pile of
You can't just pick and choose parts of the old testament. It's on the same level as wearing blended fibers, consuming shellfish, and not taking slaves from oppressed peoples.

The Bible is indeed full of #### but it makes me even more angry that they can't properly canonical reference things. It's just way to hypocritical. I don't think they make non synthetic goalie pads so Reimer is already not following his highest authority or whatever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 04:06 PM   #29
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie_16 View Post
It's on par with Derek Ryan getting traded to the Kraken, then refusing to wear their practice jersey because it has a Starbucks patch on it and claiming it is because his LDS faith prevents him from supporting coffee.
For real? That's ####ed up.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:12 PM   #30
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I'm close but probably a little bit outside the line here compared to most posters. I think they're well within their rights to decline to wear these jerseys, and I think the statement was confusing, but fine in regards to their reasoning. I also don't think there should be any discipline for sitting out of a theme night pre skate.

Having said all of that, the reasoning is specious and stupid. If you support the community and want them included, you'd participate. It makes zero sense to say "I support the event that promotes inclusion because I'm a Christian, but don't support inclusion in this case. But I still want them to feel included. But I don't support the event that says they should be included.". I mean, that's just dumb. What they're really saying here is they don't support the pride flag and acceptance that gender dysphoria and sexual orientation are immutable and these people are worthy of inclusion. Which means you don't support their inclusion.

Essentially: "I really am a nice person and believe everyone has value, but their lifestyle is amoral so I don't support them"

You can't have it both ways. You either support them and wear the jersey, or you don't support them. It's strange

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 03-18-2023 at 04:20 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 04:16 PM   #31
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling76er View Post
For real? That's ####ed up.
It's a hypothetical situation, meant to show how ridiculous James Reimer is being.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:25 PM   #32
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Have it sponsored.

Like, "Big Gay" or something.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 04:26 PM   #33
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just can't get over the fact that a) many people apparently still base their world views on the freaking bible, and b) some people apparently still think homosexuality is a choice.

Using religion as an excuse to be homophobic. Sucks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 04:33 PM   #34
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I can't help but wonder what a player like Luke Prokop thinks of his peers openly expressing they neither welcome him nor his sexuality.
I can't put myself in his shoes. I can only try. But honestly.....i would bet Luke isn't surprised nor hurt more than usual by Reimer's dumb comment. He probably expects there are some relics of the past that think like this. But they are dwindling.

In fact, i'm betting Luke and other members feel a little bit better and better as time passes, as he knows that there is a VAST majority of folks that grows in size all the time who support him including Christians like myself. I think we are in a better place now than we were 10 years ago. And in another 10 years we are going to be even better.

In the mean time? Feck Reimer et al. He didn't have to make this choice.
He could have his beliefs AND support the community. They are not mutually exclusive. I need to understand different kinds of Christian faith maybe, but i'm pretty sure wearing a pride jersey to show caring/support for others who need it doesn't trample on his faith but rather it is in keeping with it.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:34 PM   #35
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

It would be funny if the league and players association agreed to put a pride patch on every team's jersey for a year. Then we'd see if these people would give up millions for their religion.
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 04:45 PM   #36
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ever notice how the people who scream for tolerance are extremely intolerant themselves?
The Following User Says Thank You to Phaneuf_Phan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 04:51 PM   #37
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
I still need to watch that. Had no idea that was a line in the movie.
pretty sure I was the only 12 year old to see that movie twice in the theatre
Old 03-18-2023, 04:52 PM   #38
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
Ever notice how the people who scream for tolerance are extremely intolerant themselves?
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 04:53 PM   #39
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few players refusing to wear a pride jersey does not mean the NHL has a problem with intolerance. At most it means those few individuals are intolerant.

Would forcing him to wear the jersey or risk a suspension make him more tolerant ? (Probably the opposite )

Not sure why having someone who doesn’t believe in wearing the jersey wear it would make them or the league more tolerant

I think the fact so few players opted out of wearing it when they clearly can shows just how tolerant the NHL has become

1% of the league refusing to wear a pride jersey doesn’t make the NHL intolerant.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 04:57 PM   #40
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I don't share the same view as Reimer, frankly he's not being rude about it, so I don't really care. I really just wish politics and anthems and whatnot were kept out of sports. The whole thing brings about controversy. Even as a minority myself if someone had a "minority night" and a player chose not to participate, citing whatever, I wouldn't care. We're giving them the option, certainly people can have opinions. Talk about it but some of the vitriol thrown at Reimer, generally seen as a nicer person in the game, is ridiculous.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread