Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2022, 08:13 AM   #1261
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.schlage.com/en/home/prod...375CENFFF.html

They don't use power to move the deadbolt. You turn the knob after you put the code in. Ya, it's slightly less convenient and doesn't auto lock, but that's fine with me, because it works no matter the temp. I've got 2 like this, and one with the handle(no deadbolt though) which does auto lock as it doesn't have a tumbler.
No issues with the buttons registering in cold temps?

That's the problem I had, even when pressing carefully and listening for the beep, some hits wouldn't register. Likely the type of rubber used.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 08:14 AM   #1262
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I have Schlage ones like this and the ones on all the house doors work fine in any temp probably because the heat of the house keeps it warm enough. The one on my detached garage entry door fails around the temps we are seeing now. I only heat my garage to about 4 or 5 degrees. The pin in the lock doesn't fully engage the gear that is on the knob and it just spins freely. When you turn it slowly you can feel the pin rub against the gear in the knob but not enough to make it work. I've opened it up and adjusted the slider that rides on the spring but it still doesn't quite work.
Huh, I have on one my shed(unheated, if that needs to be said...) and it works in the cold.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2022, 08:22 AM   #1263
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also have a Schlage one in my unheated garage, replaced the batteries in it this fall. No issues operating the last few mornings.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 08:50 AM   #1264
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Huh, I have on one my shed(unheated, if that needs to be said...) and it works in the cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I also have a Schlage one in my unheated garage, replaced the batteries in it this fall. No issues operating the last few mornings.
I may have to try a new spring at some point. My locks are ten years old and the garage lock probably gets the most use out of all the locks so it possible that the springs is worn/stretched to the point where it just is not very effective in making the mechanism work properly. I've been screwing around with it the last few days and it still works intermittently.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 09:18 AM   #1265
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.amazon.ca/Schlage-BE365-...105776541&th=1

I had this one on my garage door at my old place. It never had issues even in -35 weather. I also made sure to program 2 codes in different quadrants in case certain buttons ever failed.

The key comment was probably a joke, but it's a good suggestion if the buttons don't work. Some people forget they exist after using a keypad or phone for so long. Another option is an option on the inside like August locks. Unlock using a phone from the outside or use a key from the outside.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2022, 09:21 AM   #1266
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have a Schlage that has membrane keys and zero issues in this weather.

https://www.amazon.ca/Schlage-Connec...77&sr=8-8&th=1
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2022, 09:25 AM   #1267
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Last winter I bought a couple Weiser electronic deadbolts, they stopped working in -20 temps so I removed them. Button issues.

Anyone have a recommendation on what will work in these temps?

Honestly, any companies selling electronic door locks in Canada should do a better job of testing them. I think on our Schlage one, they used some poor quality lubricant that turns to molasses at -20.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 09:27 AM   #1268
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, use one like this:

https://www.schlage.com/en/home/prod...375CENFFF.html

They don't use power to move the deadbolt. You turn the knob after you put the code in. Ya, it's slightly less convenient and doesn't auto lock, but that's fine with me, because it works no matter the temp. I've got 2 like this, and one with the handle(no deadbolt though) which does auto lock as it doesn't have a tumbler.

I have the other Schlage type, but it is acting up. There are some Youtube videos for fixing it, but I am not in the mood at the moment.
Old 12-20-2022, 09:31 AM   #1269
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
https://www.amazon.ca/Schlage-BE365-...105776541&th=1

I had this one on my garage door at my old place. It never had issues even in -35 weather. I also made sure to program 2 codes in different quadrants in case certain buttons ever failed.

The key comment was probably a joke, but it's a good suggestion if the buttons don't work. Some people forget they exist after using a keypad or phone for so long. Another option is an option on the inside like August locks. Unlock using a phone from the outside or use a key from the outside.

Hmm. We have the same model, wonder if they made some improvements to it over the last few years to deal with the pin not engaging at cold temperatures, because ours just spins when you try to unlock or lock.
Old 12-20-2022, 09:56 AM   #1270
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I'd argue +30 and - 30 can be a legit comparison because it's basically the hottest weather vs the coldest weather Calgary normally gets. If given a preference of one over the other, I guess some may prefer coldest, but I'd be willing to bet anything that the vast majority of people would prefer hottest.
The Environment Canada current conditions say "frostbite in minutes." There is no such dire warning about permanent physical damage to your body within minutes when it's +30, so it seems clear which is worse.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 09:59 AM   #1271
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
The Environment Canada current conditions say "frostbite in minutes." There is no such dire warning about permanent physical damage to your body within minutes when it's +30, so it seems clear which is worse.
Correct. Again, if we pretend clothes don't exist.

I'm seem to recall heat warnings daily on my phone this summer. Sunscreen. Shade. Plenty of fluids. And...you can't layer your way out of the heat.

It's totally reasonable to prefer hot weather, but it's preposterous to say you don't need to take precautions in the heat. In -30 you need to dress and operate appropriately and you need to do the same in +30.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 10:25 AM   #1272
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

We've also got a Schlage that has the keypad and a keyway on the outside and I've never had any issues with it even in the coldest days. And the batteries last an insanely long time.

Another option would be one that only goes on the inside like the August ones but I like having the keypad.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:44 AM   #1273
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It’s funny that people who like temperatures >+30 are so sensitive they get defensive about it even when it’s -30 lol.
I think it's more that people recall those comments from summers, and now it's - 30 and we're all miserable commuting in it so just taking it out on those types haha. "Is this what you want?? ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?!?"
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2022, 10:49 AM   #1274
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

The mechanism in our door locks (Weiser) has not been a problem. What I’ve found over the years is as certain cold temps, the door (I assume) contracts in size to the point the deadbolt will rub on the plate in the door jam. This was the case with a manual deadbolt too. Never really been able to resolve it but since putting on a screen door to the front door, this has been less of an issue. I assume the screen door helps keep some heat in the main door.

Anyone have that issue and been able to resolve it?

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 10:55 AM   #1275
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I think it's more that people recall those comments from summers, and now it's - 30 and we're all miserable commuting in it so just taking it out on those types haha. "Is this what you want?? ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?!?"
Exactly, this happens every year during a cold snap and it's hilarious every time. "**** you ***holes who don't like what I like, is this what you waaaaanttt, is thhisss what you want!!!!!"

Acey gets especially ornery and bitey.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 10:56 AM   #1276
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It’s funny that people who like temperatures >+30 are so sensitive they get defensive about it even when it’s -30 lol.
Shut up you!

THIS IS THE INTERNET!

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2022, 10:58 AM   #1277
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Exactly, this happens every year during a cold snap and it's hilarious every time. "**** you ***holes who don't like what I like, is this what you waaaaanttt, is thhisss what you want!!!!!"
Oh 100%. Then it flips in the summer during heatwaves, the heat lovers become antagonists from a Captain Planet episode wishing blight upon humanity ha-ha. Let's just make it about 24-25 every day and we'll all be happy.

Last edited by Sainters7; 12-20-2022 at 11:01 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2022, 11:01 AM   #1278
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Oh 100%. Then it flips in the summer during heatwaves, same same ha-ha. Let's just make it about 24-25 every day and we'll all be happy.
One of CP's best pastimes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2022, 12:42 PM   #1279
jayswin

Exp:

The other great thing about -30 for a week is I find it gives you a nice cold weather base, and you can deal with the -10 to -20 like cake for the rest of the winter.
Old 12-20-2022, 12:46 PM   #1280
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The human body cannot adapt to -30 period. Not debatable. You can dress up but your body will never, ever adapt as you will die being overexposed to these cold temperatures.
I thought that native groups that lived in the arctic for generations were shown to have higher blood flow to extremities to survive the cold? Maybe I'm out to lunch here but that would show that your body can adapt.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote