Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2022, 02:40 PM   #21
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

sure looks like LA has a way way easier schedule for remainder of year, think only team we need to be concerned with. exciting week ahead
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 02:44 PM   #22
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Graphic design fail here: xGF and xGA have the same units and similar scales, and the difference is xG differential (a relevant metric). Would be far more logical and intuitive to give them the same axis scaling where the equal differential lines would actually be 45 degree diagonals.
I don't see it as a fail. Having the two axes, instead of just the differential, provides more information.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 02:50 PM   #23
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyloob12 View Post
Do we see Markstrom (Oilers), Vladar (Caps, second of a back-to-back), Markstrom (Tampa), Vladar (Wings), Markstrom (Avs, second of a back-to-back)?
I'd rather Vladar gets the start against the Oil, McDavid seems to have Markstrom's number lately.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 03:01 PM   #24
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I already made a thread about the upcoming week.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 03:03 PM   #25
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Sutter will just show him this thread and say everybody expects them to fail. I bet they take it one game at a time and surprise everybody. They will be playing this like a seven game series. The focus is just going to be on the first game, now if they can just get the mindset that the oilers are in the way.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 03:05 PM   #26
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Graphic design fail here: xGF and xGA have the same units and similar scales, and the difference is xG differential (a relevant metric). Would be far more logical and intuitive to give them the same axis scaling where the equal differential lines would actually be 45 degree diagonals.
It would, but they sacrificed that to fit all the data points in the size of the graphic without any wasted space.

Blame Florida for being a ridiculous outlier.
Old 03-06-2022, 03:36 PM   #27
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone tell Ovi that there is another all-star game the day after the Flames game?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 03:44 PM   #28
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I don't see it as a fail. Having the two axes, instead of just the differential, provides more information.
That's not the fail. The fail is that the boxes whose top left and bottom right corners represent equal (to each other) goal differential aren't square. (Goal differential can be displayed on the same chart using a diagonal axis and diagonal gridlines.)
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 03:58 PM   #29
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's not the fail. The fail is that the boxes whose top left and bottom right corners represent equal (to each other) goal differential aren't square. (Goal differential can be displayed on the same chart using a diagonal axis and diagonal gridlines.)
While I would prefer to see it symmetrical as well, it was a minor adjustment to better display the non-symmetrical results.

I am sure you can get past it.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:15 AM   #30
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Just beat the Oilers was my original thought on this part of the schedule as well.

But even if they go 2-2-1 that wouldn't be so bad. Flames are in a good position and Darryl will have them prepared.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 06:59 AM   #31
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
I like to think of it as upcoming 7 days that the Flames will unleash hell on the league

https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/sta...333419009?s=21
https://twitter.com/user/status/1500524251333419009
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 07:13 AM   #32
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Before the Montreal game, I was hoping for 3-3-1 in their next 7. They have gone 1-0-1.

If they go 2-3 in their next 5, I will be satisfied.
Just need to go 1-3 now and I will be satisfied.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:10 PM   #33
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames should be fine and it'll give them a glimpse of what will come in the playoffs. Also, as an athlete, doing 4 games in 6 nights or 5 games in 7 nights is actually nothing. Try mountain biking for 2-4 hours daily for 5 or 6 straight days (even 7 days). Your body adapts and by the 2nd or 3 day, it's just routine.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:13 PM   #34
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Also, as an athlete, doing 4 games in 6 nights or 5 games in 7 nights is actually nothing. Try mountain biking for 2-4 hours daily for 5 or 6 straight days (even 7 days). Your body adapts and by the 2nd or 3 day, it's just routine.
It's different when you're playing a contact sport. The hits take a real toll on your body if you're taking a ton of them in a short time span. 5 games in 7 nights is an affront to player safety and should never have been allowed to happen.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:19 PM   #35
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

The good news about this is 4 of the games are at home and only one bit of travel. If they can beat Detroit I am happy and anything else will be a bonus. They have a winnable 6 game segment coming up between their next 2 games with Colorado.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:22 PM   #36
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
I would rather 1-4 beating the no-goods, than 4-1 with a loss to the grease
mission accomplished for the week; anything else is gravy
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:40 PM   #37
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
It's different when you're playing a contact sport. The hits take a real toll on your body if you're taking a ton of them in a short time span. 5 games in 7 nights is an affront to player safety and should never have been allowed to happen.
I knew someone would say that. Try mountain biking, it's not only the legs that takes a pounding. Your whole body, every muscle takes a beating depending on what you ride. This is why depth and size is necessary for days like this, especially in the playoffs. This will actually be a great test to see if they can survive a beating. Hopefully, the Flames will come out of this injury free.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:50 PM   #38
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I knew someone would say that. Try mountain biking, it's not only the legs that takes a pounding. Your whole body, every muscle takes a beating depending on what you ride. This is why depth and size is necessary for days like this, especially in the playoffs. This will actually be a great test to see if they can survive a beating. Hopefully, the Flames will come out of this injury free.
I don't think mountain biking compares to taking full speed NHL body checks.

Agreed, fingers crossed that the Flames make it through this stretch healthy.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:09 PM   #39
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
sure looks like LA has a way way easier schedule for remainder of year, think only team we need to be concerned with. exciting week ahead
How are the Kings doing so well this year? When I look at their roster it's a who's who of "Who's that?", aside from a few names. Stats wise no one on that team is tearing it up, is Todd McLellan suddenly an awesome coach now with fantastic systems that everyone is buying into?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:11 PM   #40
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Flames should be fine and it'll give them a glimpse of what will come in the playoffs. Also, as an athlete, doing 4 games in 6 nights or 5 games in 7 nights is actually nothing. Try mountain biking for 2-4 hours daily for 5 or 6 straight days (even 7 days). Your body adapts and by the 2nd or 3 day, it's just routine.
It isn't a question of adapting and being able to do it - of course they can play the games.

The issue is that there is actually another team on the ice and you have to be able to paly at your highest level or you're probably going to lose.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:

Tags
e=ng , gfg , oilers suck