Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2021, 08:57 PM   #21
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Most of the desired players in this thread are anti-Sutter types.
Agreed.

Giroux has 4 goals , 17 points and is -9 in his last 35 playoff games.

No thanks!
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:22 PM   #22
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yeah Kessel works for me. Giving him Backlund as a C should help that line stay above water in their own zone.

Kessel with Monahan might spell disaster.
Middle six of :

Dube - Monahan - Mangiapane
Coleman - Backlund - Kessel

Looks extremely dangerous, to me. It's affordable, so if Tre wants to swing for the fences at the deadline, it doesn't stop him from doing that. In the meantime, Kessel is underrated for his speed, and although he looks like a doughboy, he doesn't get pushed around. Every team he has played for calls him a good teammate.

Give me Kessel retained for Zadorov and Pitlick, and bring up Mackey. Let Arizona make the decision as to trade those other two for picks, or extend them if they like them.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:28 PM   #23
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Most of the desired players in this thread are anti-Sutter types.
Like Huselius, Tanguay, Jokinen, Amonte?

Sutter can coach offense first players. Ask Gaudreau.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 09:40 PM   #24
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Like Huselius, Tanguay, Jokinen, Amonte?

Sutter can coach offense first players. Ask Gaudreau.
Well, I’m not talking about offensive players. I’m talking work ethic, coachability and effort. Sutter would hate Eberle’s effort level, Kessel doesn’t play a structured game, etc.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:42 PM   #25
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade for:
Pavelski
Tarasenko
Forsberg

Away:
Pitlick
Ritchie
Richardson
Old 12-13-2021, 09:48 PM   #26
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames need 1 more top 6 winger. Toffoli or Hertl would be amazing. Getting another reliable D who can move the puck would be nice too.

Hopefully the deadline isn’t seller friendly and the Flames can grab a rental for some 2nd or 3rd round picks or decent but not top prospects. No one on the roster is worth trading that has any value. Sure, I’d trade Ritchie and Pitlick but that’s bringing back nothing.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:55 PM   #27
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, I’m not talking about offensive players. I’m talking work ethic, coachability and effort. Sutter would hate Eberle’s effort level, Kessel doesn’t play a structured game, etc.
Look back at that list. I don’t know what structured game really means but i’m confident that doesn’t describe those players. The idea that Sutter is only interested in blue collar checking players is wrong IMO.

Looking back at the players they have acquired, Sutter took on more one dimensional players than our current GM.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:51 PM   #28
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Look back at that list. I don’t know what structured game really means but i’m confident that doesn’t describe those players. The idea that Sutter is only interested in blue collar checking players is wrong IMO.

Looking back at the players they have acquired, Sutter took on more one dimensional players than our current GM.
You are still not getting what I’m saying. A lot lol the players in the list are guys that just don’t accept coaching that well, if it’s not the game they want to play. Kessel is one who has that reputation. Giroux as well. Eberle got exposed by NYI over Clutterbuck, Lee, Pageau and Martin.

Last edited by GioforPM; 12-13-2021 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:40 PM   #29
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are still not getting what I’m saying. A lot lol the players in the list are guys that just don’t accept coaching that well, if it’s not the game they want to play. Kessel is one who has that reputation. Giroux as well. Eberle got exposed by NYI over Clutterbuck, Lee, Pageau and Martin.
I get what you’re saying, I just don’t agree with it. Specifically I’m not agreeing that Sutter targets players “who accept coaching well”, more than any other coach does.

Really this thread has been bringing up players who can score. That is their common trait. So I just don’t agree that most of the players mentioned are anti-Sutter type players which is why I shared the examples I did.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:45 PM   #30
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zadorov could be huge in a playoff series pounding the other teams forwards...he did against Calgary. I am fairly certain Sutter feels the same way.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:59 AM   #31
Southside403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Trade for:
Patrik laine
Tom wilson
Alex tuch

Bye :
Backlund
Dube
Zadorov
Southside403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 02:07 AM   #32
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
He’d be incredible… a first PP of the following would be drool worthy

Tkachuk - Giroux - Lindholm
Gaudreau - Kylington/Andersson

It’s beautiful *wipes tear from eye
Giroux isn't a shoot first player. Would be redundant on this group.

Need a shoot-first shooter. Someone that can hit net from further out. Like 960 brought up Lindholm is the only/main threat currently that has that kind of shot. Everybody else scores from in close, outside of the odd outlier.

We only score from further out on deflections. Got nobody with a hard and accurate shot, or at least nobody who is using it.

And this is why as soon as we get shy about driving to that prime area our scoring completely dries up. Boston countered us very well by just worrying about boxing us out of that space, even at the sacrifice of losing the possession game.

Last edited by djsFlames; 12-14-2021 at 02:13 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:14 AM   #33
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was thinking of Giroux taking the bumper option spot in front to take those short shots from in tight in the slot on passes from Tkachuk that Monahan no longer seems to score on at the same clip. With Giroux being another righty option and legit in the circle (60 percent on the year and 55 percent career average) I can’t help but think it would be effective. He has 10 goals so far this year with only 2 coming on the PP so I can see where Giroux himself might be starting to get over the hill too but I really think he would be able to bury the in tight gifts Monahan just hasn’t been able to.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:36 AM   #34
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

If the team wants to be really serious, Laine would put them on another level.

So would Forsberg.

Not sure how realistic those are. I’m also a big fan of Kempe and the way he plays (all your Swedes belong to us!). But he’s more of a left wing replacement if we think we’re going to lose one of the big two.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 06:58 AM   #35
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sean Couturier is a big, offensively skilled, and defensively elite center that is an upcoming UFA. Has a cap hit of only 4.75 mill.

He's having a bit of an off year and could be cheaper to acquire than would be expected.

As far as high end pure rentals go, I can't really see anyone making more sense.

And I still think the Flames need a top 6 C more than they need anything else.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:07 AM   #36
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Sean Couturier is a big, offensively skilled, and defensively elite center that is an upcoming UFA. Has a cap hit of only 4.75 mill.

He's having a bit of an off year and could be cheaper to acquire than would be expected.

As far as high end pure rentals go, I can't really see anyone making more sense.

And I still think the Flames need a top 6 C more than they need anything else.

He signed a 8 year extension in summer.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 09:04 AM   #37
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
He signed a 8 year extension in summer.
Oh so that's why we haven't heard anything on that front.
He's there forever.

He also has a full NMC until 2030.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #38
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

The adds have been discussed so I have nothing to say about that. Another RS top 6 would be a plus but I am ok with the roster as is if there isn't a deal to be had. In the offseason BT should be trying to dump both Monahan and Backlund.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:08 AM   #39
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Sutter’s history says anything, look for players he or his brothers have coached.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:11 AM   #40
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The adds have been discussed so I have nothing to say about that. Another RS top 6 would be a plus but I am ok with the roster as is if there isn't a deal to be had. In the offseason BT should be trying to dump both Monahan and Backlund.
Tough sell - both on the backside of the career, even if they both pick it up offensively. Backlund is more useful and cheaper. But he’s got a year more than Monahan, who is at least just a rental next year. They both have 10 team NTCs but I doubt that’s an issue.

Tags
calgary , trade idea