Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #1
Charsiu
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Which Flames prospect has the most to prove in 2017-18

Hey all,

In light of the annual prospect poll which has just about wrapped up I wanted to posit the question which of our young players has the most to prove this season?

We have players like Jankowski who are on steady trajectories and appear set for a break out. We have Kulak, who is poised to take on the 6th D spot. Along with our recent draft selection we have a deep pool of young players who are more or less set along their developmental curve.

Yet what about Poirier, Shinkaruk or Klimchuk? All are still young, Klimchuk vastly improved over his 2015-16 campaign scoring 19 goals and 43 points last year compared to 3 and 9 the year before.

Poirier has taken the steps to rise above his addiction problems, an encouraging step which has led many of us to hope that he can return to form in the year ahead.

Shinkaruk? Another 1st rounder from 2013, he took a 13 point dip in points from the year before.

Anyway, slow mid week, mid summer topic. All of the players mentioned deserve more than the cursory analysis given. Moreover, there are other players worthy of discussion as well.
Charsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Charsiu For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Besides Bennett?

IMO it has to be Wotherspoon. Everyone thought he was gone with the rise of Fox/Kylington/Andersson and adding Hamonic/Stone. But he was still qualified. Gotta think this is his season is his last breath of life to be a fulltime NHLer, as spots for defencemen are quickly running out.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
Charsiu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Bennett certainly has more to prove as an NHL pro but I was more or less referring to those who haven't graduated the system yet. Bennett needs to prove he is capable of surpassing his totals thus far but he has proven that he belongs.

Wotherspoon is a great example, an older player who has seemed to be on the cusp for several years but now looks to have tumbled down the depth charts with the additions of the players you mentioned.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #4
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I think it's Poirier and Shinkaruk.

Klimchuk always had that late on the vine kind of feel to his projection and is more or less on pace.

The other two have had way more swing in their results and both need a bounce back season to keep in the plans of the team.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
Charsiu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Double post

Last edited by Charsiu; 08-15-2017 at 10:07 AM. Reason: double post
Old 08-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #6
Charsiu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think it's Poirier and Shinkaruk.

Klimchuk always had that late on the vine kind of feel to his projection and is more or less on pace.

The other two have had way more swing in their results and both need a bounce back season to keep in the plans of the team.
Whether or not it is still a valid concern, Klimchuk still carries the stigma of fragility for me. Surely that hasn't been anticipated by the organization and must cast some shadows on his development. Still, last year was encouraging and hopefully marks a positive trend.

For me, the greatest onus lies on Shinkaruk. At least with Poirier we were made aware of his struggles and there is an air of positivity around him now that he seems to have put his problems in the past.

It's always difficult to watch a player that was brought in struggle especially when it seems that Granlund has found a bit of stride with the Canucks. I'm not saying that it was necessarily a regrettable trade, just stings a bit.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #7
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to go off the board and say Ferland. Can he prove he can be a top 6 winger for an entire season. Will he take that next big step in becoming our coveted big powerhouse RW?
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #8
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I'm going to go off the board and say Ferland. Can he prove he can be a top 6 winger for an entire season. Will he take that next big step in becoming our coveted big powerhouse RW?
I was just about to put this. He is not a prospect anymore and yet he has not been able to utilize his actual abilities and skill. With his shot and physical play he has the tools to be a top 6 power forward, he just needs to be consistent.
If Ferland can find that the Flames are not going to need that top 6 RW we are looking for. Listening to BT talk about him you can tell the Flames see that the talent is there.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #9
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett and Ferland are not prospects. They're NHL players. We could have a thread about which Flame has the most to prove, but Sam and Ferly don't belong in this thread.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #10
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prospects who need to show they are pushing to get to the next level this year (no particular order) :
Poirier
Shinkaruk
Klimchuk
Wotherspoon

I assume something has to materialize on the goalie prospect side of things as there are only so many AHL and nhl-backup jobs in the organization (Gillies, Rittich, Parsons, MacDonald).
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #11
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Bennett and Ferland are not prospects. They're NHL players. We could have a thread about which Flame has the most to prove, but Sam and Ferly don't belong in this thread.
Or we could just edit the thread to include prospects and players instead of creating another thread when it isn't needed.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #12
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Or we could just edit the thread to include prospects and players instead of creating another thread when it isn't needed.
They're totally different conversations. Bennett, Brouwer, Lack, and Smith have vastly different things to prove and reasons why than do Shinkaruk and Poirier.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #13
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
They're totally different conversations. Bennett, Brouwer, Lack, and Smith have vastly different things to prove and reasons why than do Shinkaruk and Poirier.
Brouwer, Lack, and Smith are guys that are at their peak or past it, they are not getting better. Both Ferland and especially Bennett are young enough that they still have room to grow their game. If you want to go by the definition of a prospect than Wotherspoon, Gillies, Poirier, Shinkaruk are all not prospects because they have played games in the NHL.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prospect_(sports)
Old 08-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #14
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I agree with several posters in this thread. To me Wotherspoon, Shinkaruk, Poirier and Mason McDonald have the most to prove.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #15
Charsiu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I agree with Dissentowner that Lack, Brouwer and Smith are fish from a different pond, but I was more referring to the young players who are yet to crack the lineup as regulars.
Ferland, in my opinion doesn't quite fit in the conversation as, correct me if I'm wrong, he has been a bit of a surprise in what he's accomplished and where he's fit in this team thus far in his career.

I agree that he has something to prove, as you say, whether or not he is a top 6 power forward, but he's proven himself as an NHLer. That said, there is certainly a degree of malleability left with him, Bennett and possibly even Hamilton. All are young player who are not playing to their full projected abilities, they still have untapped potential. That said, once you start examining those players, then you start looking at Monahan, Gaudreau and Tkachuk, all established players but young enough that they have room to elevate.

All of that said, no need to turn this thread into a discussion of the parameters of the topic itself.

Last edited by Charsiu; 08-15-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #16
Charsiu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I agree with several posters in this thread. To me Wotherspoon, Shinkaruk, Poirier and Mason McDonald have the most to prove.
In your opinion, what do you think the timeline is for each player respectively?

Given the depth on D, Wotherspoon is probably most firmly under the hammer. Then Shinkaruk, since he has failed to show any real substance to his game beyond goal scoring, a stat he even regressed on from 15-16 to 16-17.

Poirier has to prove that he still has that intangible grit and intensity which made him an attractive prospect in the first place.

Whereas McDonald need to fight relegation he seems to face against Rittich and Parsons.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charsiu For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #17
Charsiu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

All of this said, what about Hunter Smith? Does he have the ability to prove himself more than a big body worthy of a 2nd round pick?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charsiu For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 11:53 AM   #18
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's Shinkaruk. But Gillies, though not suffering a huge decline, needs to prove that the injury and layoff haven't plateaued his progression, and that he's better than Rittich.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #19
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poirier. Especially after all he's been through.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #20
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think it's make or break for Shinkaruk.

Poirier gets some extra rope due to his recent troubles.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote