Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2017, 03:30 AM   #1
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Wishful thinking: Jaromir Jagr

Ok.

9.98M capspace

Tre plays hardball. Ferly gets 1.5M. Bennett gets 2.5. Lazar gets 1.0. Kulak gets 750K.

That leaves about 4.23M

I think Jagr will take 3.0M

At least I hope so.....
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dying4acup For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 03:32 AM   #2
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

a 45 year old Jagr taking 3.0M? No thank you.
vilzeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to vilzeh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 03:38 AM   #3
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jagr might be willing to go for a 1 year deal. As I have stated, that could really help things stay open for next year's stronger free agency. Then the Flames could try to sign someone like James Neal.

For this season, the Flames do need a bit more reliable scoring from durable players. However, I'm not sure if Jagr's play style makes much sense in Gulutzan's system. Still, Jagr has always been good at keeping and distributing the puck. He would be an upgrade over someone like Chiasson or Bouma, who constantly had offensive plays die on their sticks. His size would also allow him to create space and score dirty goals.

Although Jagr is a RW, he is left handed. That is something to be considered. I doubt Jagr would want to play in the city of Calgary. Although the team is competitive, Calgary is relatively cold, boring, and remote (in terms of travel).

If Jagr is willing to sign a 1 year deal for less than 4 million, I say go for it.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 03:41 AM   #4
DAN0383
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilzeh View Post
a 45 year old Jagr taking 3.0M? No thank you.

I'd give him everything we have left after re-signing our RFA's. I think we should encourage Bennett to take a lowball bridge deal so we have more $$$ for JJ. Maybe even bury Brouwer in Stockton for an extra 950K. Frolik can be his new "czechmate" (being a fellow brother from Kladno).

***please???***...

Last edited by DAN0383; 07-02-2017 at 03:45 AM.
DAN0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAN0383 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 03:45 AM   #5
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jagr is one of the best players ever in the game, but come on guys, Barkov carried him the last 2 years, both offensively and defensively. Jagr can't be put on a line with Gaudreau and Monahan, that would be absurd.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vilzeh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 03:47 AM   #6
DAN0383
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Jagr is one of the best players ever in the game, but come on guys, Barkov carried him the last 2 years, both offensively and defensively. Jagr can't be put on a line with Gaudreau and Monahan, that would be absurd.
Absurdly amazing!
Old 07-02-2017, 03:48 AM   #7
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN0383 View Post
Absurdly amazing!
Sure, it would be fun to look back at it but oh lord how much fun our opponents would have with that back checking.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:50 AM   #8
DAN0383
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, it would be fun to look back at it but oh lord how much fun our opponents would have with that back checking.
Hamonic and Brodie got that covered, it's all good!
Also, he can show Monahan how to truly grow that sweet flow!
Old 07-02-2017, 03:51 AM   #9
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vilzeh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 04:46 AM   #10
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

As an unabashed Jagr fanboy.... YES.

As an unabashed Flames' fan... maybe.

Jagr is still a very good puck distributor, and can still do amazing things. I don't quite agree that Barkov has been carrying Jagr. If you watch them play, Jagr did add to that line. I would give Jagr a try on the top line. I think his pace matches Monahan fairly well. Move Ferland down to Bennett's line.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Jagr
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Bennett - Versteeg
Brouwer - Stajan - Lazar (Make Brouwer play his off-wing in favor of Lazar)

Jankowski is the first injury call-up.

Ideal? No. It isn't. I don't think it is the most horrible idea either. Jagr has to come cheap. I think he is realizing that no team is going to give him a lot to play for them. So now it will boil down to opportunity. I can see Jagr trying to accumulate more points before he calls it quits. Playing on a top line with quality players is a way to entice him.

Anyways, I seriously doubt it will happen. The only FAs I wouldn't mind the Flames signing is either Jagr (for my sheer joy) or Iginla (for that, and because I think the Flames could use his toughness). No to Doan. No to basically anyone else.

I think that Jankowski can step up right now, so if the Flames add nobody else, I am good with it. I don't think Shinkaruk is going to be much in the NHL, but I think he is going to be a decent tweener to call up as an injury replacement when necessary. If Poirier is back on track, I think he can be a solid injury call-up as well. Flames still have Freddie Hamilton as well, and I like him on the 4th line. Spencer Foo should also be in the mix at some point this season to at least spend a bit of time up in the NHL. I am fine with the depth the Flames have on forwards.

Jagr would make me happy, even if the Flames have to use one of the defencemen to push him up and down the ice. It is Jaromir Fricken' Jagr after all.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 04:47 AM   #11
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

It concerns me that no GMs called him.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:02 AM   #12
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd offer him a year contract. It would be worth it for so many reasons. I think he has a lot to teach the younger guys on and off the ice and I honestly think it would be a great PR move too.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:08 AM   #13
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The new NHL is about speed. Jagr doesn't help the Flames play a speed game. Marlowe or Sharp at least had wheels.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:23 AM   #14
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the fixation with old players who were once great, but are now living in their reputations of years gone by? You are not getting a player from 2007, you're getting the 2017 version. Judge them in their current ability, not on what they have done in the past. I guarantee that if these has beens were thrown in rookie camp, and judged blindly in some fashion, they would be roasted by you fans as not being worthy of a development spot let alone a NHL contract. If you can't skate and do things at speed, there is no place in the NHL for you anymore.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 07:23 AM   #15
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pull your head out of your <insert orifice of choice>.
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #16
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

People acting like he's done in this league, he had more points this past season than Frolik did. If he came in on a cheap one year deal ala Sharp, I'd be a-ok with it.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 08:58 AM   #17
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Jagr the guy who puts the team over the top into contender status? No. But he creates space and creates offence even when he's basically standing still, especially when paired with guys who can make good use of that space. He's still a legitimate top six forward. If he can be had for a reasonable amount, this would be a reasonable way to spend some remaining cap given the weaknesses up front.

Plus then you get to cheer for Jagr.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:59 AM   #18
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

What is the obsession with adding old horses at the end of their rope to this team ? I like Jagr as much as the next guy but when your building a young team doesn't it make sense to put that money into pieces that can grow with the team ?
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gundo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #19
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

10 year old Turd watched Jagr win back to back cups wishing he was a Flame. I just want a Jagr Flames jersey, and to maybe see a saddledome Jagr salute.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:12 AM   #20
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
What is the obsession with adding old horses at the end of their rope to this team ? I like Jagr as much as the next guy but when your building a young team doesn't it make sense to put that money into pieces that can grow with the team ?
Yeah, like Hamonic. But you then have to fill around those core pieces with competent veterans on short term deals who can back them up. Think Bill Guerin in 2009, or Mark Recchi in 2011, or Michael Handzus in 2013.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote