Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Austin Carroll 0 0%
Dillon Dube 10 2.71%
Zach Fischer 0 0%
Spencer Foo 30 8.13%
Adam Fox 54 14.63%
Jon Gillies 86 23.31%
Garnet Hathaway 0 0%
Josh Healey 0 0%
D'Artagnan Joly 0 0%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Morgan Klimchuk 1 0.27%
Brett Kulak 7 1.90%
Oliver Kylington 161 43.63%
Linus Lindstrom 0 0%
Ryan Lomberg 0 0%
Andrew Mangiapane 11 2.98%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Mason McDonald 0 0%
Adam Ollas-Mattsson 0 0%
Matthew Phillips 2 0.54%
Emile Poirier 6 1.63%
Brett Pollock 0 0%
Daniel Pribyl 0 0%
Rushan Rafikov 0 0%
David Rittich 1 0.27%
Adam Ruzicka 0 0%
Nick Schneider 0 0%
Hunter Shinkaruk 0 0%
Hunter Smith 0 0%
Fililp Sveniingsson 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 0 0%
Tyler Wotherspoon 0 0%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #41
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Well, it's part of it. A bad back, a bad team situation, and domino effect all had something to do with that. The fact that our team moved up in the draft to grab him should tell you that his fall was exaggerated.

"I thought he did a really great job."

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/07/07...-american-game

Just a reminder, and I am as aware as anyone about the risks/limited value of the stat - but Kylington was actually a plus player in the AHL in his 2nd year as a pro. While having a 21 year old rookie partner on an AHL contract with a whopping two points in 56 games(Doetzal). While playing relatively high measured QualityOfCompetition. While still being 19 years old in a league where he would not have been eligible by age if he had ever played a CHL game. While leading his team in defensive scoring.

It's not as if Kylington was a liability for his team. Even though he was the youngest player on it. He had ups and downs like anyone else, but so did Andersson, and Gillies, and to a lesser extent Rittich.

People sometimes forget all the good a skilled player does every time he screws up. We even saw it last year with Gaudreau, he could be having a two point night, but a turnover at the blues and he'd be the goat in a win. Kylington makes mistakes trying to do too much. It's not as easy as telling him to stop trying. He wasn't drafted to be Kris Russell and just wire the puck along the boards every time he got near it. It's a complex position and the team is aware of that.

You have to weigh the good with the bad, not fixate on the bad. It's like how Tre described Mike Smith's puck moving... sometimes you'll facepalm but that doesn't mean you want to cut it out of his game.

And you seem to have confused "not rapidly progressed to sure-fire top pairing D" with "hasn't progressed". He has progressed. But there is progression left to go. It's not as simple as it sounds. Anybody can make the easy play, but there's a fine line between defaulting to it and knowing when it's necessary at high speeds. Or have people already forgotten that even Gio sometimes got himself into trouble as a young player... who was 5-6 years older than Kylington.

If Kylington hadn't progressed since his draft, he would not have gotten Sweden's WJC "best player in the Bronze Medal Game" award, because he simply wasn't good enough to do that in his draft year.

Feel free to show us all where that was ever stated by me...ever.

I will save you time though, because it doesn't exist.

Ive seen far to many like him that can never seem to make the changes necessary to make it as an effective NHLer is all. Some have however, including the captain of this team, so its not like i am writing the kid off.

Andersson is a perfect example. He was rightly criticized for his fitness. He made changes and by all accounts looks to have figured that part out which should mean great things for him and the club moving forward. Kylington simply doesn't have that record yet and in fact seems to be doing much of the same things he was criticized for before he was even drafted.

Just a lot of red flags around him that haven't seen enough change. Doesn't mean he hasn't progressed at all or won't progress in the future. Simply means he is showing signs of not doing what is needed at this point. That, in my estimation, drops him down the list of prospects on this club, which if I am not mistaken what this entire thread is all about.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #42
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Kylington again for me. His defensive miscues always concern me since they're sometimes unnecessary and it's something a Canadian junior player would have learned by now, but I have to keep reminding myself that he's only 20 and his skill set is extremely high. The rest can be learned, but it remains to be seen as to whether he'll actually learn it or not.
Exaggerator!!!!
Old 07-08-2017, 03:46 PM   #43
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies for me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #44
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kylington for me. One thing I find unusual about the voting is the fact that even though Rittich outplayed Gillies last season, he only got 1 vote to Gillies' 66. Is Rittich the Rodney Dangerfield of prospects?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #45
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
Kylington for me. One thing I find unusual about the voting is the fact that even though Rittich outplayed Gillies last season, he only got 1 vote to Gillies' 66. Is Rittich the Rodney Dangerfield of prospects?
Nah, it's because we've been following Gillies' progression for many years now, which has mostly been good. We've only known about Rittich for one year, and while he had a strong season in the AHL, goalies are voodoo. You never know how they'll turn out in the big leagues.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #46
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Exaggerator!!!!
lol

and I am the sensitive one
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 05:43 PM   #47
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
Gillies missed an entire season so last season was essentially his rookie AHL season. I agree he needs to be better but he's not a finished product and when you look at his size and career to this point he's a solid goaltending prospect and one of the better overall prospects in the system.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #48
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

Things get really though at this point. Gillies is still a top-5–10 prospect, as is Kulak, but with a bunch of other players starting to push they will likely not be slotted as high as they perhaps should be.
Things get really what at this point? Sorry, if it was anyone else I'd ignore it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:41 PM   #49
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Things get really what at this point? Sorry, if it was anyone else I'd ignore it.

I hate my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #50
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taking Kylington again for the third straight vote, and it looks like he is going to win this one. I do think he has the highest upside out of any defencemen in the system - his skills are above anything we have in the organization, perhaps even more so than the established defencemen on the team. Downside is his propensity for trying to do too much and then getting caught.

I will bet that he will learn to adjust his game in time. Flames will work with him in doing just that. I do believe he will have a long look on the Flames this season (I imagine there are going to be a handful of guys who will get looks this season next to Stone, and there are always injuries anyways).

I do think Kylington will learn to balance-out his game, but his skill-set is nothing short of jaw-dropping.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #51
BlackWallStreet
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Oliver Chillington
BlackWallStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:06 PM   #52
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I saw the scrimmage and as another poster suggested...he was for sure trying to do too much because he was heads and shoulders above so many out there. Not saying he makes perfect decisions with real bullets flying...but he was forcing plays and having fun .
I can't remember the exact context of the quote, but I think it was used with regards to Bennett or Tkachuk. They said it's easier to cage a tiger than beat a mule. Ie Bennett and Tkachuk will learn how to walk the line...but you'll probably never see Monahan start roughing guys up.

Well I'm going to extrapolate that thought to apply to Kylington. Someday you can probably ask him to simplify his game a bit and stay out of trouble. But given a partial break you can probably never ask Wotherspoon to all of a sudden be really really ridiculously talented.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:28 PM   #53
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fox for a combination of raw talent and progression so far.
Macindoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:45 PM   #54
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWallStreet View Post
Oliver Chillington
Old 07-08-2017, 11:51 PM   #55
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sign me up for thinking Fox is our best defense prospect. Took him
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:19 AM   #56
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Taking Kylington again for the third straight vote, and it looks like he is going to win this one. I do think he has the highest upside out of any defencemen in the system - his skills are above anything we have in the organization, perhaps even more so than the established defencemen on the team. Downside is his propensity for trying to do too much and then getting caught.

I will bet that he will learn to adjust his game in time. Flames will work with him in doing just that. I do believe he will have a long look on the Flames this season (I imagine there are going to be a handful of guys who will get looks this season next to Stone, and there are always injuries anyways).

I do think Kylington will learn to balance-out his game, but his skill-set is nothing short of jaw-dropping.
I think he'll eventually be paired with a steady defender so he gets the green light to go more often.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:27 AM   #57
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted Gillies. Rittich has better numbers, but I like Gillies' style and size. Though, to be honest, goalies are such a crap shoot. If I was to say who I see has the best chance at a solid NHL career (as opposed to being a star) it might be Dube. Others like Kylington or Fox have higher upside but Dube has been really consistent and can rise to challenges well.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote