Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Austin Carroll 0 0%
Dillon Dube 10 2.71%
Zach Fischer 0 0%
Spencer Foo 30 8.13%
Adam Fox 54 14.63%
Jon Gillies 86 23.31%
Garnet Hathaway 0 0%
Josh Healey 0 0%
D'Artagnan Joly 0 0%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Morgan Klimchuk 1 0.27%
Brett Kulak 7 1.90%
Oliver Kylington 161 43.63%
Linus Lindstrom 0 0%
Ryan Lomberg 0 0%
Andrew Mangiapane 11 2.98%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Mason McDonald 0 0%
Adam Ollas-Mattsson 0 0%
Matthew Phillips 2 0.54%
Emile Poirier 6 1.63%
Brett Pollock 0 0%
Daniel Pribyl 0 0%
Rushan Rafikov 0 0%
David Rittich 1 0.27%
Adam Ruzicka 0 0%
Nick Schneider 0 0%
Hunter Shinkaruk 0 0%
Hunter Smith 0 0%
Fililp Sveniingsson 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 0 0%
Tyler Wotherspoon 0 0%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #21
Captaincanada80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey Bingo, when do you not like the outcome of the poll, hide all results and then choose the winner you'd like to see.... or right, wrong website
Old 07-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #22
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

So #5 is where Hickey finished in last year's poll. I don't believe he would have received as many votes this time at #5. Passed by Kylington and Fox at this point, or is that revisionist?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #23
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went with Kylington, but Fox, Mangiapane, Phillips, Gillies and Dube are not far behind.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #24
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
As for the choice...i havent seen any of the most recent camp and going back a couple years it seems that even now Kylington makes major gaffe after major gaffe while sprinkling in moments of brilliance. That, IMO, simply disqualifies him as a major prospect til it changes to more consistency.

There are more sure things ahead of him both defensively and possibly offensively..
well, as long as we're not exaggerating...

to those saying he should be dominating and not making the mistakes that NHL defensemen don't make, keep in mind that this last week was a forum to try and show your stuff. Against kids, he feels he can do things. Doesn't mean that he will constantly try those things at the NHL level.

The kid has skill.

BUt I am going to continue voting Foo because Kylington has enough votes.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #25
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted Poirier - know that is in the minority, but he is back and given his age and maturity could start to realize his considerable potential.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:22 PM   #26
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Staying with Kylington lol
Old 07-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #27
Wolven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Been voting Gillies for a few rounds now. I'm still excited for his potential and for the Flames to start properly developing quality players.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #28
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
well, as long as we're not exaggerating...

to those saying he should be dominating and not making the mistakes that NHL defensemen don't make, keep in mind that this last week was a forum to try and show your stuff. Against kids, he feels he can do things. Doesn't mean that he will constantly try those things at the NHL level.

The kid has skill.

BUt I am going to continue voting Foo because Kylington has enough votes.
How is it exaggeration when its what had him fall in the draft, continue to do it in his 1st year as a pro, 2nd year as a pro and again this past week? (granted this is perception from reading others opinions for the most part)

You seem to take it a bit out of context that a guy who hasnt seemingly progressed in an area he needs to, would garner criticism for making the same mistakes he always was accused of.

Skill is great...its only part of whats needed though.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #29
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How is it exaggeration when its what had him fall in the draft, continue to do it in his 1st year as a pro, 2nd year as a pro and again this past week? (granted this is perception from reading others opinions for the most part)

You seem to take it a bit out of context that a guy who hasnt seemingly progressed in an area he needs to, would garner criticism for making the same mistakes he always was accused of.

Skill is great...its only part of whats needed though.
you got your opinion from reading other opinions, and you have the strongest opinion of anyone as a result, yet you don't think you're exaggerating

knock yourself out
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #30
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 07-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #31
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't vote on Tapatalk but my top 4 votes would've gone Parsons, Jankowski, Gillies, Kylington, then Andersson for this round based on likelihood to actually make the NHL and then how high I see them on the Flames depth chart once they make the show.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #32
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How is it exaggeration when its what had him fall in the draft,
Well, it's part of it. A bad back, a bad team situation, and domino effect all had something to do with that. The fact that our team moved up in the draft to grab him should tell you that his fall was exaggerated.

Quote:
continue to do it in his 1st year as a pro,
"I thought he did a really great job."

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/07/07...-american-game

Quote:
2nd year as a pro
Just a reminder, and I am as aware as anyone about the risks/limited value of the stat - but Kylington was actually a plus player in the AHL in his 2nd year as a pro. While having a 21 year old rookie partner on an AHL contract with a whopping two points in 56 games(Doetzal). While playing relatively high measured QualityOfCompetition. While still being 19 years old in a league where he would not have been eligible by age if he had ever played a CHL game. While leading his team in defensive scoring.

It's not as if Kylington was a liability for his team. Even though he was the youngest player on it. He had ups and downs like anyone else, but so did Andersson, and Gillies, and to a lesser extent Rittich.

People sometimes forget all the good a skilled player does every time he screws up. We even saw it last year with Gaudreau, he could be having a two point night, but a turnover at the blues and he'd be the goat in a win. Kylington makes mistakes trying to do too much. It's not as easy as telling him to stop trying. He wasn't drafted to be Kris Russell and just wire the puck along the boards every time he got near it. It's a complex position and the team is aware of that.

You have to weigh the good with the bad, not fixate on the bad. It's like how Tre described Mike Smith's puck moving... sometimes you'll facepalm but that doesn't mean you want to cut it out of his game.

Quote:
And you seem to have confused "not rapidly progressed to sure-fire top pairing D" with "hasn't progressed". He has progressed. But there is progression left to go. It's not as simple as it sounds. Anybody can make the easy play, but there's a fine line between defaulting to it and knowing when it's necessary at high speeds. Or have people already forgotten that even Gio sometimes got himself into trouble as a young player... who was 5-6 years older than Kylington.

If Kylington hadn't progressed since his draft, he would not have gotten Sweden's WJC "best player in the Bronze Medal Game" award, because he simply wasn't good enough to do that in his draft year.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-08-2017 at 01:05 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #33
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Went with Foo again.

Not sold on Kylington putting it all together.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #34
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gillies should be higher
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #35
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO Kylington and Fox will likely never be able to play the game well enough defensively to play in the NHL which is why they are pretty low on my list.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #36
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
IMO Kylington and Fox will likely never be able to play the game well enough defensively to play in the NHL which is why they are pretty low on my list.
I saw Fox make a couple of smart defensive plays in the scrimmage yesterday. Way too soon to be writing either him or Kylington off I think.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:02 PM   #37
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies, and I don't think its close.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:22 PM   #38
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Gillies, and I don't think its close.
I'm curious about your reasoning for picking Gillies ahead of Rittich? There was a pretty significant statistical difference in the favor of Rittich last season.

Rittich: 15-11-1 GAA 2.27 Sv% .924 SO 5
Gillies: 18-14-1 GAA 2.93 Sv% .910 SO 1

Granted, Rittich is year and a half older and Gillies lost a year of development to injury. Any other reasons though? Preference in play style?

On topic: I went with Dillon Dube. I think he showed better in the scrimmage than Poirier or Foo. He has 148 points in 150 WHL games so far (including 20 goals and 25 assists in 40 games this past year) and is poised for another strong season this year. He fought back from injury last season to make the World Jr team, started on the fourth line and they played so well that they ended up being one of the better lines in the tournament for Team Canada. He's usually a scorer but showed that he can play other roles and be effective in them. He'll surely be back on the team again this season and likely in a bigger role.

He reminds me a bit of Jaden Schwartz from the Blues, who I like a lot, and I think there is a good chance he becomes a solid NHL player in a few years.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #39
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kylington again for me. His defensive miscues always concern me since they're sometimes unnecessary and it's something a Canadian junior player would have learned by now, but I have to keep reminding myself that he's only 20 and his skill set is extremely high. The rest can be learned, but it remains to be seen as to whether he'll actually learn it or not.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #40
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
you got your opinion from reading other opinions, and you have the strongest opinion of anyone as a result, yet you don't think you're exaggerating

knock yourself out
LOL....how is my opinion stronger than anyone elses?

Good lord you are a sensitive one.