Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Flames Kylington Interview

Kylington gave an interview to a Swedish website

http://www.hockeysverige.se/2016/08/...gar-da-och-da/

Summary based on what I could infer from google translate (if any of the Swedish posters would care to post more accurate translations of where google translate messed up, it would be appreciated):

he had trouble sleeping the night before his NHL debut
his Dad and little brother were watching from the stands - they talked about his first NHL game since he was little
talked to Oduya before the game instead of taking his usual pre-game nap

after experiencing the NHL he feels like he can play at that level
acknowledges he needs work in the defensive zone and thinks he made great strides in that area since Christmas

got a concusion from an elbow, it wasn't an open ice hit, he smacked the plexiglass, out for 4 weeks
was only back 3 weeks before being called up to Calgary

says Stockton is really criminal, lots of gangs and drugs
heard gunshots every now and then
still enjoyed playing there even though it didn't feel like home immediately
the police told them about areas not to visit in Stockton
saw some shady people dealing drugs on the street
the good part about Stockton was that it was near San Francisco, Sacramento, and San Jose - they could just drive 30 minutes to get to a major city
it was fun to stay there, but good there was also something to do nearby

on whether he expects to start the season in Stockton or Calgary;
He is not taking anything for granted
In the hockey world you have to work and prove you are worthy of a spot
Flames have told him they are happy with him and have told him he has a good chance to stay with the NHL team at the start of the season
Aim is not to disappoint management

At development camp, Flames told Kylington they believe in him

If he starts in Stockton it won't be a disappointment
Still early in his career and believes it is a matter of time before he plays in the NHL

Was dissapointed and pissed off he was left off last years Swedish WJC team. Thinks it is a bit of a joke. But he respects Richard Gronberg's selections.
He brooded on the decision when he heard it, but then moved on.

on why he turned down Sweden for this year's WJC summer camps:
Calgary and Kylington put together a training plan for him this summer
The provided him with a strict plan - spending a lot of time in the gym and working really hard.
He didn't want to go against his promise to Calgary so told Sweden that he would follow Calgary's plan and advice
He won't be with the Swedish team at the summer camps, but if the opportunity comes up to join the WJC team he will go

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-14-2016 at 12:05 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 85 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
14, 1991 Canadian, 3rd line Grinder, 442scotty, Alberta_Beef, Allos, atb, Badgers Nose, bc-chris, bdubbs, BeltlineFan, Bezer, bigrangy, BloodFetish, Bourque's Twin, bubbsy, bucksmasher, Burner, Caged Great, Calgary4LIfe, calgarybornnraised, Cali Panthers Fan, Cheese, CofR, CroFlames, CsInMyBlood, Cycling76er, DaQwiz, Dion, dying4acup, Enoch Root, FBI, Finger Cookin, flambers, flamesfan1297, Flames_F.T.W, Flickered Flame, Francis's Hairpiece, Frank MetaMusil, Funkhouser, Gaskal, getbak, GranteedEV, GreatWhiteEbola, GreenHardHat, GreenLantern2814, greentree, Hitman88, hockey.modern, ignite09, Itse, jaikorven, jg13, MarkGio, Mass_nerder, Matata, mikephoen, Mony, Mustache, Nammer403, Neeper, nemanja2306, no_joke, Radio, Robo, rogermexico, Samonadreau, savardandjokinen, sec304, sempuki, Slacker, smoothessence, Split98, SportsJunky, StrykerSteve, Stupid, Superfraggle, the2bears, TheIronMaiden, TheScorpion, tvp2003, UKflames, Vulcan, wireframe, Zulu29
Old 08-14-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love that he is following his plan with the Flames closely and putting it before the Swedish national team.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #3
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Really like hearing he turned down that invite to focus on the flames plan. I'm sure there's nothing he would like more than to prove them wrong for last year. However he is potentially removing himself from a chance at the roster once again, to stay committed to the orgs plan. Attitude problems...
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #4
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard not to get excited about him
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can see that there's a secondary reason that players don't want to get assigned to Stockton.
ToraToraTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #6
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be awesome if he panned out. I believe he was who I voted the Flames to take at 15 before the draft. Getting him at 60 could prove to be a massive steal.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sounds like he's maturing mentally. May yet be a complete steal.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:03 PM   #8
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
Sounds like he's maturing mentally. May yet be a complete steal.
Almost guaranteed he will be, I'll keep beating that drum until the day he's a strong top 4 defender, if not top 2 one day. We stole him at 60th overall. One of the bigger drops I've ever seen based on one season and a couple character concerns.

I still can't believe we were the ones to benefit from the drop. ]
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #9
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah, it's usually other teams capitalizing off of the Flames' draft day failures. Nice to see a recent winning streak with some shrewd selections.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:10 PM   #10
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our defense is going to make us one of the best possession teams in the league.

Gio-Brodie
Hickey-Hamilton
Andersson-Kylington

It's going to be very difficult to retrieve the puck from that group. Especially if/when Andersson sorts out his conditioning.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #11
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's interesting actually cause his drop in the draft may have been one of the first steps towards making him mature as a pro.

With how far he dropped from being a potential top 10 pick at the start of his draft season... It may have been a wake up call for him.

Glad to hear these kind of responses from him. He has so much talent and he seems to be working hard on fixing the potential weaknesses in his game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #12
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
It's interesting actually cause his drop in the draft may have been one of the first steps towards making him mature as a pro.

With how far he dropped from being a potential top 10 pick at the start of his draft season... It may have been a wake up call for him.

Glad to hear these kind of responses from him. He has so much talent and he seems to be working hard on fixing the potential weaknesses in his game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The big question mark going into the draft was re his coachability. He is clearly very coachable.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #13
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

This thread made me like him so much more.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:34 PM   #14
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Should he play and stick in Calgary, I'd imagine he'd wear Kris Russell's old #4, provided that Russell doesn't sign back here. Was his number in Stockton last season.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #15
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
says Stockton is really criminal, lots of gangs and drugs
heard gunshots every now and then

says it was fun to stay there

Old 08-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #16
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Also...

you skipped the part where the police told them what areas to avoid. You can have fun in violent cities if you stick to the non-violent areas.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #17
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Should he play and stick in Calgary, I'd imagine he'd wear Kris Russell's old #4, provided that Russell doesn't sign back here. Was his number in Stockton last season.
Very exciting news.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #18
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's another interview with him I saw recently. It's from a month ago, but I don't believe it's been posted here yet.

It's appears to be from a lifestyle magazine for Swedish women of African descent, so it's more a celebrity interview than a hockey interview: http://krullmag.com/blog/oliver-kyli...wedish-hockey/

It is in English, so that helps.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #19
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
you skipped the part where the police told them what areas to avoid. You can have fun in violent cities if you stick to the non-violent areas.

I still cannot figure out why the Flames move their AHL team so much, yet cannot find a decent city for them.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #20
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Kylington Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
I still cannot figure out why the Flames move their AHL team so much, yet cannot find a decent city for them.

If you ever read into the issues they've encountered in the past their have been tons of reasons including financial problems, fan support, travel schedules, etc.

Their most recent move to Stockton was part of a west coast initiative so teams like Calgary, Edmonton, and San Jose could have their farm teams closer. They also developed a system where these California teams play less games than the rest of the league therefore they travel less and have more time to spend on training, coaching, and development. The AHL is primarily for developing players after all.

Yeah Stockton might not be the best city, but I'd have to imagine there aren't many options for a minor league hockey team in California. Also, Stockton has new and top quality facilities which ultimately benefits the players and their development. It also doesn't hurt that San Francisco is only a 40 minute drive away.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote