Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2016, 09:30 PM   #1
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default How far off are the Calgary Flames from cup contending status?

This is a question on main boards of Hfboards but the answers are mostly negative, I want to get your guys opinion on this question?

How far off are the Calgary Flames from cup contending status?
If not this year, I think by the next year it would be safe to say the Flames are a decent bet to be playoff contenders at least. Over the years they have added some really nice pieces, having snagged some good players in the later rounds (brodie, gaudreau) and had some good players fall into their lap in the draft. Some good additions this off season and a new coaching staff. The Flames seem to have a good management team in place led by Brad Treliving as well who seems to be great at trades and hot and cold with some signings here and there... Still holes to fill no doubt, but getting there. What are some other pieces that they need?
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #2
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

at least 3 years, maybe 4. We dont have all the pieces yet nor do we have the experience.
RW is still a sore spot and still need to ensure we have a solid game plan that the team plays well.

Last edited by Cheese; 08-07-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #3
Bezer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

4-5 years to be serious contenders.
Bezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #4
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say 1-2 years, if it takes another 4-5 years that would make the rebuild something like 9 years long and people should be fired. I understand tempering expectations, and last year was a disappointment but seriously if we had even average goaltending last year we could have made the playoffs. RW is still a concern but not an impossible one to fix.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2016, 09:44 PM   #5
Eric
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

2017-2018
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:59 PM   #6
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

+1 year every time this thread gets made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2016, 10:02 PM   #7
Mony
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

3 more years at least.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:03 PM   #8
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Gulutzan is a good coach and two wingers not named Gaudreau, Frolik, or Brouwer can solidify themselves as quality top 9 options, I don't see why they couldn't make a deep playoff run this year.

If Gulutzan is a bad coach and the scoring depth ends up not living up to expectations, they won't be competitive unless some major changes (roster re-tool, management overhaul) happen.

Of course this is all assuming they've found a good short and long term goalie solution with Elliot.

The Flames right now have an average offense, upper average defense (elite top 3, question mark bottom 3), a question mark goalie, and a question mark coach.

I hope the questions have the right answers.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:22 PM   #9
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One elite forward.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum PEI For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2016, 10:25 PM   #10
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

There is no possible way to give a plausible answer based on the fact that the coaching staff is brand new this year and there are a handful of prospects that we'll be counting on to get us over the hump, so our fate rests in how they do.

For the sake of discussion? 4 years. I think the rebuild is over. You can define it however you want but I take it as remaking the entire team, philosophy, all that. It's over. The rebuilding doesn't end when the cup is in our hands.

That said, now is the actual building period. You rebuilt the foundation, now it's time to take that foundation and turn it into something. To be an actual, consistent cup contender? I assume both Monahan and Johnny will have to be in their prime.

4 years, minimum.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:31 PM   #11
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
One elite forward.

What are you saying Magnum, we need one elite forward?
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:35 PM   #12
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends on how fast Bennett and Tkachuk develop.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:45 PM   #13
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably 1 year away. They have so many bad contracts that all expire after this season. Once they re-allocate that money to players that are worth those dollars, then they will be in a better position.

I think they are a playoff team right now as it sits, probably the 5th or 6th best team in the west, but could possibly get as high as 3rd if things go as well as they did two years ago. Still need to add a couple pieces, like a #4 D-man and a quality #1/2 RW.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2016, 10:57 PM   #14
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

1-2 years. Once a few of the worse contracts drop off, and the core is a tad more experienced.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:21 PM   #15
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Imminent.

It's a question of how many.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:24 PM   #16
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

The Flames are in a place where, if all the pieces come together, they could be a serious contender as soon as this coming season.

Not saying they will be a contender, just that there are a lot of factors that can create jumps good and bad.

It not inconceivable that the forwards, defence and goaltending could all be top 10 this coming season, which would probably make the Flames a "serious contender".
Old 08-07-2016, 11:31 PM   #17
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 or 3 years.
One year to unload bad deals. One year to try out shorter-term complementary players to see if they gel with the existing core. One year for shenanigans happening.

I'd say the window opens in 2019.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:33 PM   #18
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ask me after the Christmas break. With the new additions and new coach it's impossible to give an educated answer.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:34 PM   #19
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're not even close. I'd think 2-3 years.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:36 PM   #20
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 years in my estimation.

This year they are on the bubble for the playoffs.

Next year I expect them to be 'comfortably' in the playoffs.

Following year I expect a division title (or 2nd) and be considered a real threat.

If Elliott and Johnson carry on exactly like they were last year, this team is a year ahead. If Bennett and Tkachuk form a reliable scoring pair (which is too much to ask of them this season) then it is another step up.

I really think the only things the Flames are waiting on is to see how Goaltending plays out this year (should be good, but you still have to do it) and how Bennett and Tkachuk develop and help relieve the pressure from Gaudreau and Monahan.

Backlund and Frolik are great together, and for the last couple of seasons anyone that you put with Backlund seems to have a career year, so the third line is essentially set in my mind.

Gaudreau and Monahan put up enough points, but need another scoring threat on another line to help out the coach with line matching on the road, as well as a RW that can help them dig out pucks in the corner and be a net-front presence.

Tkachuk and Bennett - they just need some time to develop, that's all. Almost doesn't matter who you end up throwing out with them.

There are tonnes of options for the 4th line. This is where I want to see Bouma stapled to. Throw in a guy like Hathaway there to stir things up and add some speed and scoring ability. Stajan is a guy that I still don't think fits that 4th line, but I also expect him to be gone after his contract expires.

Defence is strong, and you have guys that are now getting NHL time and not looking bad - Kulak and Wotherspoon - and there is tonnes of depth coming up the pipe as well, but is good enough today to compete with any team in the NHL - Defence is 'ready' now.

I would say 2 years is the window. How close they are to actual contenders is up to how well Bennett and Tkachuk develop, how many defencemen step up and give good minutes, and how well Treliving adds complimentary pieces to surround the talent as others move on.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote