Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2016, 08:01 AM   #1
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default NHL's 30 in 30: Flames

Full article: https://www.nhl.com/news/30-in-30-ca...?tid=281151520

Questions concerning their season: https://www.nhl.com/news/calgary-fla...?tid=281151520

NHL's top 5 Flames Prospects: https://www.nhl.com/news/30-in-30-fl...?tid=281151520

**having a b*tch of a time embedding the dang video
Flames 30 in 30
https://www.nhl.com/video/30-in-30-c...862/c-44411903

Elliott on Flames
https://www.nhl.com/video/nhl-tonigh...912/c-44406003

Last edited by saXon; 08-05-2016 at 08:10 AM.
saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to saXon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #2
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't see how you can look at our 3rd line and be so dismissive. That will be one of our big strengths next year.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #3
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Though the Flames have a recent history of fast-tracking first-round picks to the NHL, there is no guarantee it will happen with the latest, Matthew Tkachuk, the No. 6 pick in the 2016 draft.
???????
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
???????
Well there was Monahan...and uh...Bennett. was with the team, but injured/recovering. And Jankowski. So, yeah, huge history of it.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #5
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
???????
Poor journalism there. We have our first rounder from 2012 just turning pro, we have 2 1st rounders from 2013 that still haven't made the NHL (Shinkaruk was not drafted by the Flames but still is a 1st rounder not on the NHL team yet).

Monahan made it in his draft year and scored 62 and 63 points in his second and third season. Bennett made an impact in the playoffs after missing all but 15 games of the regular season in junior. Tkachuk has a great shot at making it because he has NHL size, and smarts. Also our team needs size on the wing and he provides that
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #6
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dan Rosen was right about the 14-15 season being somewhat of an anomaly but he under sells how much potential the team could have with solid goaltending given continued growth from the top kids.

Brouwer/Chiasson/Shinkaruk and a healthy Frolik will give them more production outside of the Johnny/Mony duo which he states as being key. Gulutzan will bring better structure to the special teams. He also fails to mention the blue line at all, which is a massive part of the offense..

I always feel watching these official NHL vid on teams that they don't really do their homework and repeat the stuff already said by national broadcast guys that don't do their homework either.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #7
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Dan Rosen was right about the 14-15 season being somewhat of an anomaly but he under sells how much potential the team could have with solid goaltending given continued growth from the top kids...
He is right about the 14–15 season being an anomaly, but absolutely dead wrong about this being an issue of possession metrics. I expect that played a part, but he really understated the detrimental effect that poor goaltending had on the Flames performance last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #8
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look at our lousy team GA as a combination of poor goaltending and poor team defence. Hiller lost confidence in the team and the team lost confidence in him. The other goalies were so so but sometimes serviceable. I like how Gulutzan plans to correct this as no goalie should be expected to solve all our issues.

Quote:

"There's going to be a definitive style change," the 44-year-old said. "We're going to change the style of game. We want to play a little quicker. We're going to be a lot more determined to deny entries into the zone. Our gap and the way we play rushes will change significantly. The way we break out the puck will change. Those are fundamental changes."
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #9
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
He is right about the 14–15 season being an anomaly, but absolutely dead wrong about this being an issue of possession metrics. I expect that played a part, but he really understated the detrimental effect that poor goaltending had on the Flames performance last year.
Chicken and Egg scenario. The same thing causing the poor "possession metrics" was a huge contributor to the goaltenders' struggles. Passive defensive play leading to time, space, and penetration. Blocked shots deflecting right to snipers' sticks. Failed breakouts leading to tired corps getting diced up. Horrible box coverage on the PK. Team defense was not very good last year.

Now does that excuse Hiller? No. but both Ramo and Ortio were better than their stats would tell you.
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:17 PM   #10
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"I know everybody develops differently and I knew when I was drafted I wasn't going to come in right away and make the team," Jankowski (6-3, 185) said. "I knew it was going to be a process and development, so I was just taking it day by day when I was in college and tried to work my hardest every single day, whether it was in the gym or how I eat or how I sleep or practicing on the ice. It's every single day, that development. I think I'm there now."
Sounds like Jankowski's been in NHL mode for a while. I like to hear these things. I think the NCAA route gives them more time to focus on personal growth during their youth than the CHL does.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #11
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Only concern there is that he gets down on himself if things don't work out for him right away ala Sven-tastrophe
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #12
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Only concern there is that he gets down on himself if things don't work out for him right away ala Sven-tastrophe
I think you have to come into camp with the mentality to make the team, whether you're 1st overall or the last pick from the most recent draft.

That doesn't mean that expectations aren't realistic. I'm sure Jankowski has his mind set on making the team, but I'd doubt he'd be disappointed with not making it. As long as he has a good camp and sticks for some games, I'd call that a success.