Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:
Exclamation [Video] Bouma 15/16 Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mfx8GoFb08

Very disappointing season after a big breakout season the year prior. Suffered a couple major injuries last season. Hoping for a big bounce back coming up, would love to see his offensive game get on track and solidify the 3rd line potentially.

Not sure how many videos I have left. Rookies next, then Comeback Wins if there were enough to warrant it, possibly Shorthanded Goals? I still think I'll put together Hudler and Russell videos too to finish off their tenure here.

Videos Completed This Off-Season:
Backlund
Bennett
Brodie
Bouma
Colborne
Ferland
Frolik
Gaudreau Part 1
Gaudreau Part 2
Giordano
Hamilton
Monahan
Overtime Wins
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Without watching, I'd imagine this is just an injury reel.

Rough year.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:14 PM   #3
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Yep only played 44 games, but still put together 42 blocks and 110 hits.

16 goals and 18 assists in 14/15. Hoping we see him get back closer to that level again.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm a huge fan of Bouma and believe he could be a game breaker in playoff style hockey. If the Flames make it into the post season next year and Bouma is healthy I think he has a great mix of talents that could see him hit like Ferland/Canucks, make game saving blocks on the 1st PK, and potentially score Gelinas key goals in tight hard nosed games when tired mistakes start happening.

If his contract doesn't get re-upped after next year I think another team will get him as a bargain bin free agent and he'll be a solid minute eating player (despite taking selflessly short shifts). What different metrics fail to quantify is the boost your team gets when guys go through brick walls (i.e.: block Chara bombs) and play physical up tempo forechecking with quick shifts so your star players can capitalize on advantageous match ups & ice position. He's a genuine team player and wants to excel in his role. Championships are won with the right mix and I believe Bouma is going to prove at some point in his career he's a winner.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #5
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couldn't agree more Freddy. Huge Bouma fan, a shame that he only played 44 games (and was probably only healthy for maybe half of those) and if we let a bad year paint the whole picture and move on I think it'd be a move we regret.

Hopefully he can stay healthy next year
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #6
LiquidX
Scoring Winger

Exp:

coach needs to teach him to stop exposing the soft bits with his blocks. The shins have pads for a reason lance.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:32 PM   #7
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Freddy's 100% right about Bouma, except for the one critical question, which is: Will we ever see him play a full season again? That highlight reel was impressive on self-sacrifice alone, but it also illustrates what many of us have imagined, which is that Bouma's style of play likely translates into a short, injury-riddled career.

If he's on the ice and 80%-plus, health wise, he's a huge plus. The big question is how much of that can we reasonbly expect over the next few years? If Bouma changes his style, he won't stay in the league -- without the grit and self-sacrifice, he doesn't have enough other tools. If he doesn't, his body won't let him be in league for long. Tough one.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:23 AM   #8
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A lot depends on the emphasis the new coaching staff place on shot blocking. I'd rather see Bouma hitting than shot blocking, personally.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #9
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidX View Post
coach needs to teach him to stop exposing the soft bits with his blocks. The shins have pads for a reason lance.
The kick save/open glove has got to go , until he adds some kind of padding to his instep , and a catching mitt

Almost forgot about Booms ,he had such a tough year injury-wise. Another player who may have a different year with a new coach (Good or bad is the ?)

Thanks again AC
FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlatLandFlamesFan For This Useful Post: