Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 2 0.63%
Culkin 1 0.32%
Dube 1 0.32%
Falkovsky 0 0%
Fox 19 6.01%
Hamilton 2 0.63%
Harrison 1 0.32%
Hathaway 7 2.22%
Kanzig 2 0.63%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuk 21 6.65%
Kulak 42 13.29%
Lindstrom 1 0.32%
Mattson 0 0%
McDonald 13 4.11%
Morrison 1 0.32%
Ollas Mattsson 6 1.90%
Parsons 16 5.06%
Phillips 1 0.32%
Pollock 4 1.27%
Pribyl 80 25.32%
Rafikov 0 0%
Rittich 0 0%
Schneider 0 0%
Smith 0 0%
Tuulola 14 4.43%
Wotherspoon 82 25.95%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #41
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Anyone looking for the next Reggie is miscasting Wotherspoon. If that's the kind of d-man you're looking for in the Flames' system the guy I'd vote for would be Ollas Mattsson. Has looked really good in development camp and once his contract is up will be making a push, I think he's two years away.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #42
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Anyone looking for the next Reggie is miscasting Wotherspoon. If that's the kind of d-man you're looking for in the Flames' system the guy I'd vote for would be Ollas Mattsson. Has looked really good in development camp and once his contract is up will be making a push, I think he's two years away.
Yeah, he's no Reggie but he does bring a physical presence that is lacking in our defence. As it is only Engelland and Jokipakka provide that and I like to think that Wotherspoon could make a good partner for Hamilton. They looked good together in the World Juniors.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:50 PM   #43
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Klimchuk is a bit underrated. He could still develop into a strong 2-way forward who pots plenty of goals with his great shot. Still has a lot to prove in the AHL though.

I also rate Mason McDonald a bit higher than most. Strongly considered him here.

Pribyl & Wotherspoon could be regular NHLers this year... or they may be AHL journeymen. Too much uncertainty for me to rate them ahead of some of the others mentioned.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2016, 04:00 PM   #44
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I think that Wotherspoon is a great young dman, but my concern with him (which is entirely speculation) is that I don't believe he's passionate about hockey or doing whatever it takes to improve and play at the NHL level, and unless you have other worldly talent, you can't make it in this league without that drive.

This isn't anything that I've read/heard about him, just what I perceive. I don't think he cares.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:24 PM   #45
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
Klimchuk is a bit underrated. He could still develop into a strong 2-way forward who pots plenty of goals with his great shot. Still has a lot to prove in the AHL though.

I also rate Mason McDonald a bit higher than most. Strongly considered him here.

Pribyl & Wotherspoon could be regular NHLers this year... or they may be AHL journeymen. Too much uncertainty for me to rate them ahead of some of the others mentioned.
Agreed, I was surprised to see the votes for him so low. The argument can easily be made for Kulak or Wotherspoon, but I'll wait until seeing Pribyl in North America before considering him above these prospects.

It was definitely a slow year from Klimchuk, but as I recall he was used exactly like Arnold last season in a shutdown only role. Klimchuk has always been labeled as a 2-way, jack-of-all-trades non flashy type player. It's possible he just doesn't have the offensive skill to make it in the NHL, but I'm looking to see how he rebounds before counting him out.

I really think Huska screwed the organization by playing Klimchuk and Arnold to their strengths instead of putting them in a position to work on their weaknesses. Development comes first and winning comes second in the AHL.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:32 PM   #46
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

^I'm still high on Klimchuk as well. His ceiling may have taken an adjustment downward to middle six instead of top six, but his skill set is too high to miss altogether.

He'll figure it out.

5 vote difference ... the "please no more run offs" crowd may be getting ready for a tough Tuesday!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2016, 06:28 PM   #47
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like Klimchuk, but for me his health is a concern both in terms with regards to his future durability, as well as the missed time in development. I do think IF he stays healthy, there is still a strong possibility he ends up surprising a lot of us on these boards. Kid's shot is absolutely filthy, and he has great IQ and a strong 2-way game for his age.

Wotherspoon is just kind of a weird prospect. You don't rate him high, you start to lose hope, and what does he do but give strong, consistent minutes. He was a long-shot for the WJC team, then squeaked-in as the 7th defencemen. What does he do after that? Moves up all the way to the top-pairing for a time, and look fairly strong doing it.

He will not wow you, but he will play a consistently strong game. I still think he will end up to be a solid #4 guy, but perhaps tops off at a #5.

Kulak I have a bit ahead due to his (IMO) stronger ability at the transition game and on offence. Wotherspoon isn't terrible at it - I just don't think he has the tools Kulak has with his vision and skating ability with the puck, not to mention Kulak's pretty good point shot.

Morrisson to me is just so inconsistent. He will surprise you at times by doing everything right, and that point shot is lethal. He then goes for a stretch where he becomes a liability and can't seem to do anything right. At his age, I don't like to see that much inconsistency in his game. He is the opposite of Wotherspoon in my opinion - has more tools that can 'wow' you, but is highly inconsistent.

The only 'Regehr-types' I see is Ollas-Mattsson, Kanzig and Bruce. Some other guys have some physicality to their games, but not at the level of Regehr. Rafikov is probably the most antagonistic defencemen to play against I would say, especially after Sieloff's departure. Kanzig I thinki will ramp up his physicality, as he just couldn't unleash big hits in junior without being penalized.

Pribyl has the size, skating, speed and vision to succeed as a top 6 guy. I actually would love to see him get a long look on the top two lines, as he does love to pass. He can keep up well with Gaudreau I think, or even Bennett.

There are two spots available in the top 6 right now, and it is between Pribyl, Jankowski and Tkachuk (I guess 4 if you include Shinkaruk, but I have my doubts, though I know it is fairly contradictory to what most on this board feel). There is not a whole lot to judge Pribyl off of online, but he does look impressive with what material there is available.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #48
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted Klimchuk but somehow I completely missed Pribyl, so I change my vote to him.

Klimchuk is next though.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #49
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pribyl.

Like Wotherspoom but I think he tops out as a bottom pairing guy/

Klimchuk next for me too
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:58 PM   #50
Iniggywetrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Has anyone who voted for Pribyl actually seen him play? Curious what makes him higher than guys knocking on the door from a good AHL league.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:51 PM   #51
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniggywetrust View Post
Has anyone who voted for Pribyl actually seen him play? Curious what makes him higher than guys knocking on the door from a good AHL league.
Well, let's take Wotherspoon for comparison. He is not even our top defensive prospect, plus with 6 guys on 1-ways we don't even have a spot on the blueline for a rookie. So for Wotherspoon to play, some veteran would need to get traded or injured and then Wotherspoon needs to beat out several other prospects for that spot. Those are not great odds for him to make an impact. Even if you go by ceiling, his ceiling is about #4 forward.

Pribyls ceiling is top 6 winger, potential 1st line guy on this team, and he could reach that ceiling next season. I don't see how anyone on that list comes even close to that. Sure he could be a bust, but so could every other guy. In fact I would say his odds of playing a few dozen games for the flames are pretty much the best from any of the guys left on the list.

If he's a bust like Cervenka, that guy still played at a 35-point pace (had it been a full season). And that was for a highly dysfunctional team that he had to enter without training camp.

Last edited by Itse; 07-18-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2016, 07:54 PM   #52
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would assume most haven't seen Pribyl play that much but it's human nature to get excited about the unknown over the known when the known isn't all that exciting. Certainly speaks to the remaining prospects in the system and what they've shown thus far.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2016, 07:55 PM   #53
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've barely seen anyone on the list play, including the prospects already voted for in earlier rounds.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2016, 07:56 PM   #54
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wotherspoon by a nose. And thank goodness. I'd be pretty upset if he didn't crack the top ten because of some new toys and some unknowns.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #55
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'm voting for Pribyl strictly because he has the highest NHLe.

I don't follow most of the guys on the list other than a cursory look here and there. I would bet lots of money that most people voting here are the same in that regard.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:21 PM   #56
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went Wotherspoon, but it was really close between him and Pribyl.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:41 PM   #57
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pribyl. Very interested to see what he can do here. A bunch of NHL teams went hard to try and sign him, hes 6'3 220 and has already been a point per game player in a mens league. The way management have spoken of him it seems they wouldnt be surprised or reluctant to see him on the 1st line with Johnahan. I think he may be the surprise of the season simply due to his pro experience, scoring pedigree, size and position. Apperently he plays physical and has good hands as well.

Klimchuk next for me. Even though I'd be tempted to take Fox as I think he is going to be the real deal. I just love Klimchuk as a prospect. Watched him a lot with the Pats, he is in my opinion very likely to be a middle 6 player in the NHL. He has all the tools and the proper mindset. He just needs to produce in the AHL, stay healthy and take his chance.

I really hope Stockton tear it up this year and our young professional prospects develop a lot down there. Looking at the potential lineup for them, looks like it will be a strong competitive team.
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:42 PM   #58
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pollack getting overlooked? Prior to the trade he was considered one of the Stars best prospects up front. I guess this shiny new toy isn't shiny enough?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:04 AM   #59
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Pollack getting overlooked? Prior to the trade he was considered one of the Stars best prospects up front. I guess this shiny new toy isn't shiny enough?
He's another "no frills" prospect like Klimchuk. Versatile, consistent, reliable but not flashy. Tough to get excited about guys like that, but in my opinion they both should be considered for the top 10.

Man, that Russell trade could quietly be one of the strongest the Flames have made in years. Quite the return for a pending UFA.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:29 AM   #60
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Klimchuk?
Really? If he was a RFA, guarantee he wouldn't even be qualified. Didn't expect him until the 20s.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote