Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 0 0%
Culkin 0 0%
Dube 0 0%
Falkovsky 0 0%
Fox 3 0.86%
Hamilton 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 4 1.14%
Kanzig 1 0.29%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuk 2 0.57%
Kulak 5 1.43%
Lindstrom 0 0%
Mangiapane 40 11.43%
Mattson 0 0%
McDonald 0 0%
Morrison 0 0%
Ollas Mattsson 3 0.86%
Parsons 1 0.29%
Phillips 0 0%
Poirier 32 9.14%
Pollock 0 0%
Pribyl 7 2.00%
Rafikov 0 0%
Rittich 0 0%
Schneider 0 0%
Shinkaruk 234 66.86%
Smith 0 0%
Tuolola 6 1.71%
Wotherspoon 12 3.43%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2016, 09:47 AM   #41
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Shinkaruk didn't look out of place in those 8 games. Poirier, on the other hand has looked atrocious in the NHL and has taken a huge step back last year. Klimchuck, while I understand that maybe he needs more time, it's also very rare for a player to make the jump to the NHL after spending so many years being a mediocre AHLer. It happens, but odds are stacked against him. Wotherspoon has looked OK in the NHL, which is fine for a defenceman I suppose. He might be the the best of the three.
Shinkaruk looked okay, in the offensive zone. He was lost defensively and he displayed little defensive awareness. He appeared as he was projected, an offense first guy. That isn't the way the Flames have played the game. Unless you are a major scorer, they want good two way players. Shink has some work to do and I would not be surprised if he ends up in Stockton.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #42
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I agree, but how would you compare bottom pairing defensemen to top 6 wingers? Does Engelland have as much value as a winger like Shinkaruk who can put the puck in the net? Or a winger like Poirier who has a potentially excellent 2-way game?

To me, Wotherspoon is a solid 3rd pairing/depth defenseman, but he won't be a game changer.

Guys like Shinkaruk, Poirier, and Mangiapane have offensive potential that can be much more valuable to a team than Wotherspoon's contributions could be.

And I still like Wotherspoon, I just don't think he's better than some of the forward prospects we have.
Yeah I totally get that point of view. Shinkaruk showed some potential and looks like he may overcome his size to be an NHLer. Poirier it's hard to be super high on at the moment. Mangiapane hasn't proven anything in pro yet.

But to me Kulak and Wotherspoon are safer bets than the forwards to make it and play the more valuable position
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #43
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I actually thought Poirier looked better than Shinkaruk when both were on the team during their short stints last year. Porier used his skating well to be in good positioning defensively and was hard on the back check. Hoping he can rebound offensively this season.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 09:58 AM   #44
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I have Pribyl again.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 10:10 AM   #45
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted Kulak. I think people are understating his upside - I think there's a middle pair two-way D there - and equally understating his likelyhood to get there. He has every tool you could ask for even if there's nothing elite - He's a strong breakout passer (better than Hickey), strong skater(Better than Andersson or Wotherspoon), his reads get better-and-better at an impressive pace, his defensive gap control is steady as she goes, and I feel his work ethic is up there with the best. About the only weaknesses in his game are a lack of offensive creativity and some poorly-timed penalties he can take.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-14-2016 at 10:24 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 10:14 AM   #46
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Voted Kulak. I think people are undersrating his upside - I think there's a middle pair two-way D there - and equally understating his likelyhood to get there. He has every tool you could ask for even if there's nothing elite - He's a strong breakout passer (better than Hickey), strong skater(Better than Andersson or Wotherspoon), his reads get better-and-better at an impressive pace, his defensive gap control is steady as she goes, and I feel his work ethic is up there.
I'm a big fan of both Kulak and Culkin.

Both have above average skating, decent size, good brains and can move the puck. They fit the mold of today's prototypical NHL Dman. Mobile, puck movers who can think the game well.

I'm hoping Culkin can stay healthy and bounce back. Feel bad for the kid as he got his pro career off to a great start and was way ahead of Kulak out of the gate, but two fluke injuries really set him back.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #47
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Shinkaruk, then Poirier
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:21 AM   #48
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I get the relation between Shinkaruk and Poirier, but didn't see the grittiness with Porier others saw last year. I think Shinkaruk has developed a bit more at this time.
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #49
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quickly counted 3 first rounders and 5 second rounders still on the list

Frankly, only need 1 or 2 of these guys to make it if the top of the list mostly succeeds
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #50
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can't beleive the love for Shinkaruk, I mean the guy came from the Canucks. Yuck.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #51
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Can't beleive the love for Shinkaruk, I mean the guy came from the Canucks. Yuck.
He didn't play much for the Canucks though, so it should just be a need for a quick rinse and all will be good.
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #52
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I couldn't care less where he came from. If it was Brock Boeser that we traded for, I would be singing his praises on this board.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #53
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
This type of thinking is so ridiculous in a discussion trying to accurately rank the prospects.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #54
trublmaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
He plays for the flames now so there's that
trublmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #55
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

Went with Shinkaruk. Really liked what I saw from him towards the end of last season and completely expect him to take a run at one of the open winger spots at training camp.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #56
buyakasha
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Surprised Kulak hasn't gotten more attention. Did he not have a good season last year?
buyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to buyakasha For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #57
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyakasha View Post
Surprised Kulak hasn't gotten more attention. Did he not have a good season last year?
For how good he was in the NHL for those first few games I think people were expecting more out of him when he went to the AHL. I think he'll be the 1st call up or else maybe the 6D, depending if they think Wotherspoon is ready. If Spoon isn't ready by the end of training camp he probably gets traded.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:51 PM   #58
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
For how good he was in the NHL for those first few games I think people were expecting more out of him when he went to the AHL.
Here's a quote from Brandon Kisker, the farm team's PBP guy and also their media guy, from this article. IOW someone who watched every single Stockton Heat game.

Quote:

...when [Kulak] was returned to Stockton he had a bit of a lull in his game and it took him a while to get his groove back, but when he did, he was easily one of the top defenders. I loved seeing him pair with Aaron Johnson. Johnny is a terrific defenseman and leader, and I think his poise and decision making really rubbed off on Brett. Sure you get a few mistakes here and there that cost your team, but among all of Calgary’s top defensive prospects, you could consistently see, and say, that Brett was playing the best of them all.

That’s clearly evidenced by the big time that Kulak ate up during the second portion of the season. Even with Tyler Wotherspoon (whom I don’t recall playing an awful lot with Brett this season), Kulak’s helmet was consistently the one tapped by Coach Ryan Huska and Assistant Coach Todd Gill to go out and defend during key defensive situations.

One thing I can tell you about Brett that’s impressive is his focus. From the first interview I ever had with him to the last, you can just tell he’s focused on being a top NHL’er. He seems more interested in being the best he can be on the ice more so than maybe any other guy in that locker room.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #59
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kulak definitely deserves some love. I could see him stepping in and taking Wideman spot on the blue line. But then again, I think I skating monkey with a spastic bowel could make less the mess out there and Dennis Wideman. So maybe that isn't much of a complement.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #60
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went Poirier. He has the tools to be a very effective NHLer. Make or break year for him. I do agree he is being passed by other prospects, but not enough to drop out of the top ten...yet.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote