Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 0 0%
Culkin 0 0%
Dube 0 0%
Falkovsky 0 0%
Fox 3 0.86%
Hamilton 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 4 1.14%
Kanzig 1 0.29%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuk 2 0.57%
Kulak 5 1.43%
Lindstrom 0 0%
Mangiapane 40 11.43%
Mattson 0 0%
McDonald 0 0%
Morrison 0 0%
Ollas Mattsson 3 0.86%
Parsons 1 0.29%
Phillips 0 0%
Poirier 32 9.14%
Pollock 0 0%
Pribyl 7 2.00%
Rafikov 0 0%
Rittich 0 0%
Schneider 0 0%
Shinkaruk 234 66.86%
Smith 0 0%
Tuolola 6 1.71%
Wotherspoon 12 3.43%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2016, 08:17 AM   #21
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
Shinkaruk may be the three only prospect to graduate this year. I see that as even greater than 7th ranking.
Graduate, perhaps, but in what capacity does he actually thrive-in evetually (top6, bottom6, tweener) is where i think he drops a bit.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:21 AM   #22
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shinkaruk is the easy pick here. Next one will be harder: Pribyl, Mangiapane, Poirier, Ollas Mattsson.

Pollock is an interesting prospect. A power forward but doesn't get much attention since he was a Stars draft pick. Didn't exactly blow the WHL away in his 4th season, but you have to look at the lack of talent he had to play with on the Oil Kings.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:25 AM   #23
Flame19,289
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I voted Mangiapane for this round.

I feel as though his ceiling is higher that Shinkarak's, even though Shinkaruk may be more NHL-ready at this point in time.
Flame19,289 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flame19,289 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #24
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
It's amazing to see Shinkaruk and Poirier develop side by side. Them being linked to each other was always going to be inevitable once the Flames passed on Shinkaruk and took Poirier instead, but having them in the same organization now is certainly interesting.

Personally I still have high hopes for Poirier and I wouldn't be surprised if he rebounded and had a great year. I also think in the long run he might have a better chance to land a top 6 spot in Calgary, but at this point, Shinkaruk is more NHL ready.
My exact thoughts here as well. I remember during the 2013 draft how bad I wanted the Flames to pick Shinkaruk at 22 with him still on the board. I have really warmed up to Poirier since we picked him, and really hoping he steps up this year.

Last edited by EastCoastFlamesFan; 07-14-2016 at 08:51 AM.
EastCoastFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:38 AM   #25
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is the one where we have the biggest chance of saying we should have placed him higher.

The issue was who do you put him higher than -- I think one of Gilles, and the 3 defensemen ends of better but its likely that there are some busts in the 2 - 6 spots whereas Shinkaruk likely can play as a third line winger at worst with good upside. So I like the rankings and would have a tough time placing him higher but this one has a good chance of coming back with a what were you thinking putting him that low.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:38 AM   #26
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bingo, should Vey go on the list or has he graduated already?
Old 07-14-2016, 08:42 AM   #27
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Bingo, should Vey go on the list or has he graduated already?
Graduated.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #28
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

he's turning 25 this weekend and has played 134 NHL games. Graduated for sure.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #29
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure hope this is Shinkaruk's round. Seems like it's time.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #30
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Went with Poirier, by all accounts his defensive game developed nicely. And we know his speed. Could be a very effective player that can play anywhere.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:01 AM   #31
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Shinkaruk for the 4th time in a row for me. Seems like he'll win this one fairly easily.

Next round will be a tough pick for me. I think Poirier, Klimchuck and Wotherspoon are borderline busts. I think that the Mangiapane hype is just hype and I don't know much about the new prospects.

Last edited by _Q_; 07-14-2016 at 09:04 AM.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:19 AM   #32
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It looks like it is Shinkaruk's turn, and I am good with that, but I went with Wotherspoon. I think this is the year for him to make the big club and impress. There is clearly some bust potential here, but it is still too early to write him off. Big year for sure.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #33
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Opting for Parsons here - he has looked good so far, and maybe it is "shiny new toy" syndrome, but I like him as a potential starter, but obviously with a long road ahead of him. I am placing him ahead of McDonald

I have Shinkaruk, Mangiapane, Poirier and Pribyl in a group of middle 6 NHL forwards upside, and Wotherspoon is also close as a depth defenceman upside
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #34
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never rank a guy completely on stats, but I do think it's useful to look at to compare players that have had similar trajectories.

Emile Poirier
Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL):
11/12 GP:67, G:15, A:25, P:40, +/-: -17, PPG:0.60
12/13 GP:65, G:32, A:38, P:70, +/-: 0, PPG:1.08
13/14 GP:63, G:43, A:44, P:87, +/-: +30 PPG:1.38
Abbotsford Heat
13/14 GP:2, G:2, A:2, P:4, +/-: +4, PPG:2.00

Adriondack Flames
14/15 GP:55, G:19, A:23, P:42, +/-: +7, PPG:0.76
Stockton Heat
15/16 GP:60, G:12, A:17, P:29, +/-: -14, PPG:0.48

Calgary Flames
14/15 GP:6, G:0, A:1, P:1, +/-: +1
15/16 GP:2, G:0, A:0, P:0, +/-: -1, Combined PPG: 0.13

Emile's junior progress was a steady upward trajectory, improving in nearly all facets of the game. Even the two games he played in the pros at the end of his junior career were impressive.

His rookie season in the AHL was quite good, scoring regularly and not being a liability defensively.

Then last year his game fell off a cliff. Scored only 12 goals and 29 points (lowest totals of his career including his first year of junior). It wouldn't have been so bad, but his defensive game didn't progress a whole lot either.

His callups to the Flames have been largely unimpressive, scoring one assist in 8 games, and not being a major factor either way when on the ice.

Hunter Shinkaruk
Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)
10/11 GP:63, G:14, A:28, P:42, +/-: +13, PPG:0.67
11/12 GP:66, G:49, A:42, P:91, +/-: +17, PPG:1.38
12/13 GP:64, G:37, A:49, P:86, +/-: -13, PPG:1.34
13/14 GP:18, G:5, A:11, P:16, +/-: -2, PPG:0.89

Utica Comets
14/15 GP:74, G:16, A:15, P:31, +/-: +2, PPG:0.42
15/16 GP:45, G:21, A:18, P:39, +/-: +7
Stockton Heat
15/16 GP:17, G:6, A:6, P:12, +/-: -6, Combined PPG:0.82

Vancouver Canucks
15/16 GP:1, no stats
Calgary Flames
15/16 GP:7, G:2, A:1, P:3, +/-: -4, Combined PPG:0.38

Hunter had a couple of big season in scoring for WHL standards. He had a tough last year of junior due to injuries, but then rebounded in his 1st pro season putting up respectable numbers for a rookie. Last year he looked much improved scoring at a much higher rate (near a point per game pace), and when called up, he impressed offensively, looking dangerous and scoring a few points.

However, Shinkaruk is never going to be known as a great defensive player, whereas Poirier has that potential. Hard to say where Emile's head was at last year, but the results are concerning and he looked worse at the NHL level as well (just from what I can remember).

Progress with prospects is rarely linear, but Shinkaruk has largely continued to improve over time. Emile has as well, but had a really rough year last season.

I still think they have comparable upside in the NHL, that being middle six wingers, but Hunter probably has more scoring ability, whereas Emile is probably going to be better at just about every other aspect of the game.

Take all this for what you will, I just thought it would be interesting to do a comparison.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #35
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Shinkaruk for the 4th time in a row for me. Seems like he'll win this one fairly easily.

I think Poirier, Klimchuck and Wotherspoon are borderline busts.
Shinkaruk, and his 8 NHL games is a sure fire lock as a top prospect in the organization, but the other three are busts? Wow.

Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #36
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post

Next round will be a tough pick for me. I think Poirier, Klimchuck and Wotherspoon are borderline busts. I think that the Mangiapane hype is just hype and I don't know much about the new prospects.
I think all three will play actually.

Klimchuk from all reports is a cerebral kid that gets it. Moving slowly, but moving. I think he plays based on smarts and skill set but he may be trending to bottom six now.

Poirier was a stud AHL rookie. That's not a bust. Then a step back season. This one determines which way he goes.

Wotherspoon was on his way, then hit a 18 month snag, but seems to have righted things last year. I think he may be trending to a 4-5 now instead of a 3-4 but I think he's still on target.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #37
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Went with Wotherspoon. NHL ready, looks to be a safe bet to be a bottom pairing defenceman with an outside shot at being a #4.

Defencemen are more valuable than wingers for me.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #38
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Shinkaruk, and his 8 NHL games is a sure fire lock as a top prospect in the organization, but the other three are busts? Wow.

Shinkaruk didn't look out of place in those 8 games. Poirier, on the other hand has looked atrocious in the NHL and has taken a huge step back last year. Klimchuck, while I understand that maybe he needs more time, it's also very rare for a player to make the jump to the NHL after spending so many years being a mediocre AHLer. It happens, but odds are stacked against him. Wotherspoon has looked OK in the NHL, which is fine for a defenceman I suppose. He might be the the best of the three.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #39
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Went with Wotherspoon. NHL ready, looks to be a safe bet to be a bottom pairing defenceman with an outside shot at being a #4.

Defencemen are more valuable than wingers for me.
I agree, but how would you compare bottom pairing defensemen to top 6 wingers? Does Engelland have as much value as a winger like Shinkaruk who can put the puck in the net? Or a winger like Poirier who has a potentially excellent 2-way game?

To me, Wotherspoon is a solid 3rd pairing/depth defenseman, but he won't be a game changer.

Guys like Shinkaruk, Poirier, and Mangiapane have offensive potential that can be much more valuable to a team than Wotherspoon's contributions could be.

And I still like Wotherspoon, I just don't think he's better than some of the forward prospects we have.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #40
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still have a few prospects ranked ahead of Shinkaruk. I just don't Shikaruk as a long term piece on the Flames, though I hope I am proven wrong. For a slightly undersized forward, I would want to see much more speed. Or much more.. something else. He isn't bad, and I do think he will be an NHL'er, but not a difference maker to me.

Poirier I think has the ability and make-up to become a much more important player. He is way fast, and much grittier than Shinkaruk (who is surprisingly gritty in his own right, but not as much as Poirier). I have stated this in the past, but I think Poirier's north/south game is much more translatable in the NHL.

One down season for isn't going to make me rank Shinkaruk ahead.

I have Pribyl next after Poirier from what I have been seeing/reading about him (though trying to scout with youtube provides a very incomplete picture).

I don't dislike Shinkaruk as a prospect, I just see higher-caliber prospects remaining.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: