Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Andersson 167 43.04%
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 0 0%
Culkin 0 0%
Dube 0 0%
Falkovsky 0 0%
Fox 2 0.52%
Hamilton 0 0%
Harrison 1 0.26%
Hathaway 2 0.52%
Kanzig 1 0.26%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuk 1 0.26%
Kulak 1 0.26%
Lindstrom 0 0%
Mangiapane 28 7.22%
Mattson 1 0.26%
McDonald 1 0.26%
Morrison 0 0%
Ollas Mattsson 0 0%
Parsons 0 0%
Phillips 0 0%
Poirier 13 3.35%
Pollock 0 0%
Pribyl 5 1.29%
Rafikov 0 0%
Rittich 0 0%
Schneider 0 0%
Shinkaruk 155 39.95%
Smith 1 0.26%
Tuolola 4 1.03%
Wotherspoon 5 1.29%
Voters: 388. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #121
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Once Andersson's condition effects his play in an actual real game then I'll be concerned.
Summertime shape at high altitudes doesn't mean much to me.
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Menace For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 10:34 PM   #122
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
And how did things work out with Howse?
My point is Howse's issues persisted for several years AFTER he turned pro. With Anderssen, these concerns seem way premature. His supposed conditioning issues have not affected his play or his progression. All of this stems from him not being in shape at a summer development camp. And this after a dominant season. I mean, ok, it's something to refer to over the next year as he turns pro, but to create big concerns over a junior age player seems like making mountains out of molehills. By all means, change your prospect rankings, but also realize that a 19 year old who isn't acting like an established pro is not necessarily a problem.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:59 AM   #123
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see people's arguments for most prospects but the one guy I fail to understand is those who have Poirier still rated high in this poll. There's the argument against guys like Mangiapane for not having proven themselves yet in the A, yet Poirier while having a good first season looked really bad last year. There's those that question how well Shinkaruk can keep a spot in the NHL but "feel" that Poirier will have a greater likelihood despite Shinkaruk already showing through actual games that he can produce more and looks to be a better fit than Poirier who frankly looked pretty below average while up in the NHL.

If it's ceiling, there's no clear advantage Poirier has over Shinkaruk or Mangiapane IMO if we look at their production to this point in junior, the A and NHL. If it's likelihood, Shinkaruk would appear to also have proven more as well as of today.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 07:01 AM   #124
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

no need for a run off as I see Andersson's lead as sufficient to call him a winner.

Round 7 up soon
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:09 AM   #125
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaker View Post
My point is Howse's issues persisted for several years AFTER he turned pro. With Anderssen, these concerns seem way premature. His supposed conditioning issues have not affected his play or his progression. All of this stems from him not being in shape at a summer development camp. And this after a dominant season. I mean, ok, it's something to refer to over the next year as he turns pro, but to create big concerns over a junior age player seems like making mountains out of molehills. By all means, change your prospect rankings, but also realize that a 19 year old who isn't acting like an established pro is not necessarily a problem.
Except it is a problem. It was identified as a weakness a year ago and the player chose not to correct the deficiency. That speaks to the player's commitment to his craft. You also don't think that management is looking at this as a non-compliance issue? In professional sports you get very few opportunities to make impressions, and those opportunities can be fleeting. There were some pretty decent prospects the Flames just cast aside, and some of those guys got a two year window to show their stuff. Decisions on players are being made very quickly now, so it is in the best interest of the player to behave like a pro as early as possible.

It should be pointed out that Andersson has already signed a contract with the Flames. This is not a situation of some junior aged kid that is still playing for a contract. This is a player who has already been contracted and has responsibilities to live up to the terms and expectations of that contract. The minute Andersson put pen to paper he became a professional. I can understand why the Flames would be pissed just for this aspect alone. Andersson is a talent, but he is in an organization with plenty of talent at that position. He needs to understand that and start taking his training seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I can see people's arguments for most prospects but the one guy I fail to understand is those who have Poirier still rated high in this poll. There's the argument against guys like Mangiapane for not having proven themselves yet in the A, yet Poirier while having a good first season looked really bad last year. There's those that question how well Shinkaruk can keep a spot in the NHL but "feel" that Poirier will have a greater likelihood despite Shinkaruk already showing through actual games that he can produce more and looks to be a better fit than Poirier who frankly looked pretty below average while up in the NHL.

If it's ceiling, there's no clear advantage Poirier has over Shinkaruk or Mangiapane IMO if we look at their production to this point in junior, the A and NHL. If it's likelihood, Shinkaruk would appear to also have proven more as well as of today.
I would like to know what is success in your books, and how you are measuring success? Player growth is not always about seeing point totals increase. This was pointed out time-and-time-again in the Jankowski development thread. Sometimes your coach wants you to work on certain aspects of your game and gives you assignments that focus on that part of the game, rather than the side of the game you have already developed. For Poirier the weakest part of his game was always his defense and awareness on the ice. When Poirier was up for his cup of coffee last season he showed much improvement in this regard. He thought defense first and didn't take many risks. That is what was expected of a player in his role.

Shinkaruk and Mangiapane may end up going through the same thing Poirier did last season. Shinkaruk was horrible in his defensive coverage with the Flames last year. This was glaring. Under the old coaching staff this would require correction, and that likely would have happened in the minors. With the new coaching staff we'll see what their approach looks like. I think both of these offense first players are going to experience a period of adjustment to learn to pay more attention to the defensive side of the puck.

I would like to point out one thing to the stats watchers. Of Stockton's top scorers from last season, five of the top seven were cut loose this spring. Hamilton is the only guy older than Poirier left on that list, and Hamilton still does not have a contract with the Flames for next season. Points is not how you measure if a prospect is doing well and growing as a player. Especially with the Calgary Flames.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote