Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Anderssen 39 9.18%
Bruce 1 0.24%
Carroll 0 0%
Culkin 0 0%
Dube 1 0.24%
Falkovsky 0 0%
Fox 1 0.24%
Hamilton 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 1 0.24%
Hickey 130 30.59%
Kanzig 1 0.24%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuk 0 0%
Kulak 2 0.47%
Kylington 147 34.59%
Lindstrom 0 0%
Mangiapane 17 4.00%
Mattson 0 0%
McDonald 0 0%
Morrison 0 0%
Ollas Mattsson 0 0%
Parsons 0 0%
Phillips 0 0%
Poirier 2 0.47%
Pollock 0 0%
Pribyl 1 0.24%
Rafikov 0 0%
Rittich 0 0%
Schneider 0 0%
Shinkaruk 76 17.88%
Smith 0 0%
Tuolola 3 0.71%
Wotherspoon 3 0.71%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2016, 10:36 PM   #101
Eric
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Well that settles it. Giordano is obviously going to be a bust.
Unfortunately for the Oilers, they have 7 just like him.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:02 PM   #102
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
It's because he's a great skater, has NHL size, thinks the game better than any of our other defensive prospects, and displays the poise you look for in a defenseman that can handle big minutes.

I didn't see Hickey take a step backward last year. Only people who track development by comparing points each season think that. Hickey was solid in his own zone which was the area he needed most improvement.

What's with this Shinkaruk stuff? We've voted on the top four prospects so far, and it was unlikely Shinkaruk was going to shake out in that group. Considering his size and the fact that he is already on his 2nd NHL team it isn't surprising he hasn't popped up on radar. He'll likely be in the top 10, the late part of the top 10. More than that would be surprising. It would also be very surprising if he made the team this year. The Flames have brought in guys with size and are trying to beef up the lineup. Going to be a reach for a small player to earn a spot, especially with Tkachuk possibly making the team. Shinkaruk is going to have to blow people's minds in camp to make the team.
There is no way Tkachuk makes the team. It's just not going to happen. He needs to prove he's not the product of Marner and Dvorak. Plus last year was his ROOKIE OHL season, which means any GM would be insane to put Tkchuck into the NHL with only one year of major junior under his belt.

Shinkaruk, however, did his time in junior following his draft year and then went on to spent two years in pro. Maybe you look at his size and the fact that he was traded as being an issue, but it was a change of scenery trade for both teams and I personally think he's sized just fine for the wing.

Hickey is also an NCAA prospect, likely to be at least one more year away and when he's finally a pro, he's behind the log jam that's the Flames NHL defenseman and pro prospects.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:25 PM   #103
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
There is no way Tkachuk makes the team. It's just not going to happen. He needs to prove he's not the product of Marner and Dvorak. Plus last year was his ROOKIE OHL season, which means any GM would be insane to put Tkchuck into the NHL with only one year of major junior under his belt.
No, it would not be insane to put OHL ROOKIE* Matthew Tkachuk in the NHL. Also, how do you know there's no way he makes the Flames? He is more than capable of doing so, IMO. He can prove that he isn't simply a beneficiary of his line mates at Training Camp.

*OF THE YEAR

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2016, 11:48 PM   #104
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
No, it would not be insane to put OHL ROOKIE* Matthew Tkachuk in the NHL. Also, how do you know there's no way he makes the Flames? He is more than capable of doing so, IMO. He can prove that he isn't simply a beneficiary of his line mates at Training Camp.

*OF THE YEAR
Are getting Tkachuk confused with Nylander?

Last edited by Samonadreau; 07-12-2016 at 12:08 AM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:00 AM   #105
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Are getting Tkachuck confused with Nylander?
No... oh, wait, yes.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:40 AM   #106
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Tkachuk has a good chance of making the team IMO. He already proved this year to scouts that he's not a product of his linemates and that he's a top prospect in his own right. 9/10 scouts Bob Mackenzie talked to had Tkachuk top 5. The GM doesn't necessarily pick the team, the coach does. And if Tkachuk is ready then he'll play. There's lots of reasons to think he's ready. He has NHL size already, plays a pro style game, plays well with talented players, has extremely high hockey IQ, plays the easiest position for young players to break in at (wing). Probably the most NHL ready prospect we've drafted in the last 20 years IMO.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2016, 06:51 AM   #107
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm a Tkachuk skeptic myself, but I see a perfect fit on the Flames for him. He could easily be the LW on Sam Bennett's line and end up getting sheltered minutes as both players continue to grow. Personally, I would send him back to junior just because of contract status long term, but if the kid impresses in camp and shows he's ready, you do what you have to do and make the team better. I really don't care how young he is, if he can play, he plays. It is up to him to prove he is ready, and there are plenty of people who think he is ready fro the pro game (I am not one of them).

Quote:
Shinkaruk, however, did his time in junior following his draft year and then went on to spent two years in pro. Maybe you look at his size and the fact that he was traded as being an issue, but it was a change of scenery trade for both teams and I personally think he's sized just fine for the wing.
What you think doesn't matter. It is what the Calgary Flames think. It appears they think size does matter as they continue to beef up the lineup. All you have to do is look at the additions to the lineup so far this off season. The one thing that works for Shinkaruk is his tenacity. He plays a bigger game than his physical stature and that may be something Gulutzan likes. We will know soon enough, but I would suggest that Shinkaruk is in tough considering some of the other players he will be up against come training camp. I don't see Shinkaruk with any edge over a number of players on the farm.

Quote:
Hickey is also an NCAA prospect, likely to be at least one more year away and when he's finally a pro, he's behind the log jam that's the Flames NHL defenseman and pro prospects.
Where Hickey is playing is irrelevant. It is his ability to contribute to the NHL roster that will impact where he plays next. As I indicated, Hickey is probably the most poised defense prospect we have. He plays a very solid defensive game and can add offense when called upon. Given the type of complimentary defenders we will be needing on the roster, Hickey is the best fit. Kyllington needs to find the defensive side of his game. Andersson needs to figure out what it means to be a professional and take his game seriously. Hickey already has achieved many of the challenges these other guys face. I don't think Hickey is as talented as Kyllington, or as diverse as Andersson, but when it comes to being a pro hockey player is already ahead of both of them, regardless of where he is playing next season. Being a college player will not hold a player back.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 09:01 PM   #108
Glassplat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I'm a Tkachuk skeptic myself, but I see a perfect fit on the Flames for him. He could easily be the LW on Sam Bennett's line and end up getting sheltered minutes as both players continue to grow. Personally, I would send him back to junior just because of contract status long term, but if the kid impresses in camp and shows he's ready, you do what you have to do and make the team better. I really don't care how young he is, if he can play, he plays. It is up to him to prove he is ready, and there are plenty of people who think he is ready fro the pro game (I am not one of them).

What you think doesn't matter. It is what the Calgary Flames think. It appears they think size does matter as they continue to beef up the lineup. All you have to do is look at the additions to the lineup so far this off season. The one thing that works for Shinkaruk is his tenacity. He plays a bigger game than his physical stature and that may be something Gulutzan likes. We will know soon enough, but I would suggest that Shinkaruk is in tough considering some of the other players he will be up against come training camp. I don't see Shinkaruk with any edge over a number of players on the farm.

Where Hickey is playing is irrelevant. It is his ability to contribute to the NHL roster that will impact where he plays next. As I indicated, Hickey is probably the most poised defense prospect we have. He plays a very solid defensive game and can add offense when called upon. Given the type of complimentary defenders we will be needing on the roster, Hickey is the best fit. Kyllington needs to find the defensive side of his game. Andersson needs to figure out what it means to be a professional and take his game seriously. Hickey already has achieved many of the challenges these other guys face. I don't think Hickey is as talented as Kyllington, or as diverse as Andersson, but when it comes to being a pro hockey player is already ahead of both of them, regardless of where he is playing next season. Being a college player will not hold a player back.
Other than not being a Thachuk "sceptic" myself I agree with the 99% of this post.....especially as it relates to Hickey....this guy's got ALL the tools to be an exceptional NHL defenceman.

I can't say I've watched Thachuk a lot. I watched 2 Mem Cup games on TV and watched him 3 times at this years Development Camp. Quite frankly IMHO he didn't stand out for me at the Camp last week especially related to a guy like E2.

A week after the Mem Cup I asked a Red Deer based friend of mine (very knowledgable hockey guy) about his opinion of Thachuk....mostly related to whether he felt Thachuk's game was artificially "inflated" by playing with Marner and Dvorak. His reply was "no way..this guy is the real deal"! Before going further I should add that my friend's volunteer position with the Red Deer Mem Cup Organizing Commitee involved being one of two "logistics coordinators" assigned 24/7 to the London Knights for the duration of their stay in Red Deer. Although the Knight's enjoyed an "embarrassment of riches" up and down the line up...Thachuk's leadership, competitiveness, focus and "Team first" attitude was always on display on and off the ice.

Past history has shown that first round Draft choices are inherintly given more opportunity to be successful "making the Team" that guys chosen in later rounds......after all failure can be seen as visceral evidence of Scouting department ineptitude. That said I personally don't think the Flames are presently in a position to "need" Thachuk to make the team this year. They've got a number of new signings that I'm sure they hope to fill in some gaps.
Glassplat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Glassplat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 11:57 PM   #109
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Good post Glassplat, minus your use of "Thachuk".

Tkachuk!

I always like hearing 3rd part opinions of prospects since you can quickly get sucked into the same opinion getting repeated over and over. I agree I wasn't blown away at development camp, but think he'll stand out come Penticton and pre-season (hopefully).
AC is offline   Reply With Quote