Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Andersson 11 2.70%
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 1 0.25%
Culkin 1 0.25%
Dube 0 0%
Falkovsky 0 0%
Fox 0 0%
Gillies 266 65.20%
Hamilton 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 0 0%
Hickey 42 10.29%
Kanzig 0 0%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuck 0 0%
Kulak 0 0%
Kylington 47 11.52%
Lindstrom 0 0%
Mangiapane 8 1.96%
Mattson 1 0.25%
McDonald 0 0%
Morrison 0 0%
Ollas Mattsson 0 0%
Parsons 0 0%
Phillips 0 0%
Poirier 0 0%
Pollock 0 0%
Pribyl 0 0%
Rafikov 0 0%
Rittich 0 0%
Schneider 0 0%
Shinkaruk 28 6.86%
Smith 1 0.25%
Tuulola 2 0.49%
Wotherspoon 0 0%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #101
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, "overage" refers to people playing as 20 year olds. How does this meaning make it confusing or inaccurate?

Personally, I would just hope that they progressed from their previous year, regardless of their age. Consistent development is always promising.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:03 AM   #102
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Yes, "overage" refers to people playing as 20 year olds. How does this meaning make it confusing or inaccurate?

Personally, I would just hope that they progressed from their previous year, regardless of their age. Consistent development is always promising.
Here's his take on "overage".

Quote:
-if in an overage year (CHL) or Jr/Sr year(s) (NCAA) did they dominate as they should?
If a junior player is playing his overage year in junior, he's generally not thought of as much of a prospect, besides I need a coffee.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:01 AM   #103
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Here's his take on "overage".

If a junior player is playing his overage year in junior, he's generally not thought of as much of a prospect, besides I need a coffee.
I'm not sure how I caused confusion here. My post was in reaction to others regarding what aspects factor into how they rate their prospects. I wasn't defining 'overage' or equating it with the Jr or Sr year of NCAA.

What I was saying is that if the player did play his overage year in the CHL or his Jr and Sr years in the NCAA I would expect them to be top players on their team and in their leagues.

It is true that most prospects considered high-end do not play these years but some do. Gaudreau and Gillies played their Jr years. Vesey and Jankowski played both Jr and Sr.

As we are not just rating the top prospects but all of them, I look at those that did play these seasons and see if they met my expectations. Those that do check the box and get rated higher.

A CHL example would be Austin Carroll. He checked that box. Keegan Kanzig however did not. He was better but not really dominant in his overage year. Carroll is higher up my prospect list than Kanzig because he checked more boxes including this one.
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N26 For This Useful Post: