Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Billins 0 0%
Bruce 1 0.46%
Deblouw 1 0.46%
Elson 12 5.56%
Gilmour 18 8.33%
Grant 0 0%
Harrison 3 1.39%
Kanzig 69 31.94%
Karnaukhov 14 6.48%
Ollas Mattson 16 7.41%
Sieloff 82 37.96%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 0 0%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #21
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I smell a runoff at this point, unless one goes on a hot streak.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:36 PM   #22
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is Ollas Mattson getting the unknown euro treatment here? I can see picking Sieloff over him if you believe he will redeem his career and get back on track healthwise but Ollas Mattson has passed Kanzig IMO. I wasn't impressed by him at any point this year with the Hitmen and Mattson is playing with professional vs grown men.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:40 PM   #23
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan97 View Post
Is Ollas Mattson getting the unknown euro treatment here?
He's getting the "no real skills, likely to end up a bottom of lineup plug" treatment.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:25 PM   #24
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Karnaukhov then Ollas-Mattsson for me. Last two prospects on the list I am high on.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:51 PM   #25
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
He's getting the "no real skills, likely to end up a bottom of lineup plug" treatment.
If Kanzig was in Sweden and Mattson in NA the votes would be reversed imo. Both are similar type players so the voting shouldn't be so one-sided towards Kanzig.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 06:25 PM   #26
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kanzig for me again.

He is a behemoth of a prospect, and he can skate. He skates fast. Just needs to increase his agility and lateral movement a bit. However, with his size and reach, he can be a very effective defencemen even with compromised lateral ability.

The guy is apparently one of the (if not THE) hardest working and most determined amongst the prospects. Apparently a very smart guy too. I don't think he will ever be a top 4 guy, but he may have the ability to impact a game more than any other prospect left on the board - especially when you factor in what division the Flames play in. He also doesn't handle the puck like a grenade either. I think he handles the puck and passes better than Regehr did - though I am eager to see how he does in the pros with less time and space out there before calling him competent in that regard. Against his peers, he was better than I thought. It isn't like he can't get better as he gets exposed to better competition and more coaching either.

I really like Sieloff. I thought he was a legitimate 'safe' player to end up being a contributing bottom-pairing (or maybe even a bit higher if things went really well) defencemen who can add a bit of a nasty streak that the Flames really need from their back-end. Decent skater, good mobility, great shot, and good first pass. I just see a kid who doesn't have quiet the skill-set to deviate from that hard-nosed style, but gets injured when he does. Bourque - and to a lesser degree - Jones, were the poster boys for this. Bourque was a very difficult player to play against and was very effective I thought (remember when the talk was how Iginla would be passing the torch to him?). His tough and effective style resulted in injuries, and he returned playing that peripheral no-good game of his. He would then start going on a bit of a tear playing more physical again, only to get another injury and come back once more as that frustrating player. So far, Sieloff seems to be a victim of the same thing here. Can he rebound and become that player? Yes, I think he could. I just think the risk now, coupled with his lack of playing and POSSIBLE impaired development, has me thinking it won't happen.

Kanzig could be a very dominating defencemen - as dominating as any bottom-pairing defender can be anyways - and he has enough determination to make me think he may actually get there.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 06:34 PM   #27
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
If Kanzig was in Sweden and Mattson in NA the votes would be reversed imo. Both are similar type players so the voting shouldn't be so one-sided towards Kanzig.
Kanzig is 3 inches taller and 35lbs heavier... All else equal he has a huge physical advantage that can't just be ignored.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:15 AM   #28
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
As opposed to Kanzig who brings...
Old 07-30-2015, 01:18 AM   #29
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Kanzig is 3 inches taller and 35lbs heavier... All else equal he has a huge physical advantage that can't just be ignored.
Kanzig looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. He takes silly penalties time after time and he is far from impressive in his fights for someone of his size. I realize fighting isn't everything these days but he's looking for a Derek Engelland career at best and even that seems like a huge stretch at this point.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trojan97 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2015, 01:20 AM   #30
Darkwater
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Elson isn't a very sexy pick, I get that, but his determination and work ethic is second to none. He'll get my vote until the end of this. I truly believe he'll force his way into the NHL.

“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”
Carl Sagan
Darkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darkwater For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2015, 07:00 AM   #31
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gilmour is underrated on this poll. I think he'll surprise some people. He fits the mould of the new prototypical Calgary Flames defenseman. His compete level & style remind me of a young Giordano. He'll spend a good long time in the AHL but he has the intangibles to eventually make an impact in the NHL.

Kanzig had a good year once he joined the Hitmen. That's a huge positive for a prospect I have reservations about. He's a physical beast & could prove to be a decent #7 guy one day. Would I say that to his face? Hell no.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote