Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 0 0%
Culkin 0 0%
Dube 0 0%
Falkovsky 0 0%
Fox 3 0.86%
Hamilton 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 4 1.14%
Kanzig 1 0.29%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuk 2 0.57%
Kulak 5 1.43%
Lindstrom 0 0%
Mangiapane 40 11.43%
Mattson 0 0%
McDonald 0 0%
Morrison 0 0%
Ollas Mattsson 3 0.86%
Parsons 1 0.29%
Phillips 0 0%
Poirier 32 9.14%
Pollock 0 0%
Pribyl 7 2.00%
Rafikov 0 0%
Rittich 0 0%
Schneider 0 0%
Shinkaruk 234 66.86%
Smith 0 0%
Tuolola 6 1.71%
Wotherspoon 12 3.43%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2016, 07:04 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Calgarypuck Prospect Ranking 2016 - Round 7

It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaack. almost like Shark Week on the Discovery Channel Calgarypuck and the Summer Prospect Ranking has become an institution for rabid Calgary hockey fans.

2013 - Sean Monahan is the top prospect (2013)

2014 - Johnny Gaudreau takes his turn (2014)

2015 - Sam Bennett come on down! (2015)

The last three years have had a prospect named first, and then make an impact right away on the NHL team. Bennett had to have surgery and mop up the OHL first, but all three were big players for the Flames right away.

Will that be the case again this year?

As per usual the vote is up to you. Some see it as most likely to play, some see it as highest ceiling, others see it as a mix of both.

Happy voting!

Round 1 - Tkachuk 83% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=155575 )
Round 2 - Jankowski 42% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=155585)
Round 3 - Gillies 65% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=155591)
Round 4 - Kylington 35% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=155598)
Round 5 - Hickey 38% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=155615)
Round 6 - Andersson 43% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=155634)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:08 AM   #2
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now we move to the forwards: Shinkaruk, Mangiapane, Poirier and Pribyl.

Handicapping Pribyl will be interesting because we're all playing that one blind.

The first choice seems pretty straight-forward though: Shinkaruk showed pretty well at the NHL level last year and has to be given the edge over Poirier and Mangiapane at this point, even if Mangiapane maybe has more upside.

Shinkaruk for round #7
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 07:08 AM   #3
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shinkaruk for the 4th time. Can't believe he's still on the board.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #4
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wide open at this point, it'll be interesting to see when the two 2nd round goalies go.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:14 AM   #5
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poirier again. I like Shinkaruk here as well, but I think Poirier is the type of player the Flames will be expecting to make the jump this season. Might explain why they only gave Chaisson a one year contract. Make no mistake, this is big year for Poirier. This is the year he steps up, or fades into the woodwork forever.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:16 AM   #6
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I went with Shinkaruk but fully expect to have him and Poirier flopped by the end of the season. Shinkaruk has taken the lead, but I see a bounce back season from Poirier on the horizon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 07:17 AM   #7
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Given the player in the lead (shinkaruk), where would Granlund me in the rankings this year if we didn't graduate him?

Seems to me he was moving more into the bottom six projection group, so for me he'd be a mid teens at best.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:18 AM   #8
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Close between Shinkaruk and Poirier and it should be seeing they were drafted only a few spots apart but I'm going with Poirier as although he had a down season it's easy to forget he was rookie of the year in the AHL the season prior and I feel Shinkaruk will need to be a productive scorer to stick in the NHL while Poirier will be able to stick in a bottom 6 role even if his scoring doesn't translate to the NHL.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:19 AM   #9
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Shinkaruk for the 4th time. Can't believe he's still on the board.
3rd time for me. I think it's a no brainer this time though.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 07:22 AM   #10
tko
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Oops - meant to vote for Poirier, not E2
tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:25 AM   #11
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's amazing to see Shinkaruk and Poirier develop side by side. Them being linked to each other was always going to be inevitable once the Flames passed on Shinkaruk and took Poirier instead, but having them in the same organization now is certainly interesting.

Personally I still have high hopes for Poirier and I wouldn't be surprised if he rebounded and had a great year. I also think in the long run he might have a better chance to land a top 6 spot in Calgary, but at this point, Shinkaruk is more NHL ready.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:25 AM   #12
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

things become more murky for me now.... feels like this is a bit of a ledge now, with the next tier being composed of Shinkaruk, Klimchuk, Poirier, Wotherspoon..
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:29 AM   #13
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Given the player in the lead (shinkaruk), where would Granlund me in the rankings this year if we didn't graduate him?

Seems to me he was moving more into the bottom six projection group, so for me he'd be a mid teens at best.
Agreed. His limited ceiling compared with others on the board pushes him out of the top 10 for me. I view him and Wotherspoon going close together.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:33 AM   #14
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think Granlund would have slotted in around here in the poll if he was still with the club. He would have been more established with a body of work that would have impressed upon people. I agree that he was sliding down the lineup and would have personally rated him lower as well, but the appearance with the big team affects a lot of people's judgement as to where a prospect shakes out.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:40 AM   #15
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shinkaruk for me has the best combination of relatively high pick, did very well in junior, has played (and well) as a minor pro and has not looked out of place when given a few games in the NHL.

Prybl I just can't judge, Mangi has not played pro yet and Poirier hasn't oanned out like I hoped in the NHL. Wotherspoon appears to have taken a real back seat.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 07:41 AM   #16
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

that's the weird part of this trade. Given the amount he's played in the big league by now (102 NHL games, ~50 games in each of last 2 seasons), i think we have more visibility as to what he is, or how far his ceiling is potentially.

Shinkaruk, from my perspective, has yet to really scratch the surface at the NHL and really provide any insight on where his ceiling potential is. My opinion, skeptical as it is, was that i actually didn't come out of the 8 games we saw him play at the NHL thinking he's a sure fire _____ at the NHL level. Top6, Top9, AHL level only are all possible ends for him. Compared to Granlund who appears to a potential bottom6 or AHL level only guy.

Based on that, not sure wtf the canucks were thinking. I'd love to one day find out how this trade came about. Did the canucks come calling for Granlund and the Flames, thru the negotiation, proposed/counter-proposed for Shinkaruk, or vice versa.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #17
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I went with Shinkaruk but fully expect to have him and Poirier flopped by the end of the season. Shinkaruk has taken the lead, but I see a bounce back season from Poirier on the horizon.
Agree 100%

They are very close, but I still see Poirier as having the potential to be the better player. And I too think he will have a bounce back year.

But I also think that Shinkaruk deserves the nod right now, because he had a better year than Poirier last season.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:48 AM   #18
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would think that Granlund would probably slot in about where Wotherspoon is going to end up (maybe around 12th), having shown that he can play in the NHL, but that his ceiling isn't very high.

Personally, I think that is an injustice to Wotherspoon. I think he is under-rated due to Hartley not being a fan, and I believe he will be a solid 2nd pairing guy for years to come (though he isn't ready for that just yet).

I still think Wotherspoon would be an ideal partner for Hamilton.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:07 AM   #19
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Eat bread!
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:07 AM   #20
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shinkaruk may be the three only prospect to graduate this year. I see that as even greater than 7th ranking.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote