Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Anderssen 39 9.18%
Bruce 1 0.24%
Carroll 0 0%
Culkin 0 0%
Dube 1 0.24%
Falkovsky 0 0%
Fox 1 0.24%
Hamilton 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 1 0.24%
Hickey 130 30.59%
Kanzig 1 0.24%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuk 0 0%
Kulak 2 0.47%
Kylington 147 34.59%
Lindstrom 0 0%
Mangiapane 17 4.00%
Mattson 0 0%
McDonald 0 0%
Morrison 0 0%
Ollas Mattsson 0 0%
Parsons 0 0%
Phillips 0 0%
Poirier 2 0.47%
Pollock 0 0%
Pribyl 1 0.24%
Rafikov 0 0%
Rittich 0 0%
Schneider 0 0%
Shinkaruk 76 17.88%
Smith 0 0%
Tuolola 3 0.71%
Wotherspoon 3 0.71%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2016, 06:59 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Calgarypuck Prospect Ranking 2016 - Round 4

It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaack. almost like Shark Week on the Discovery Channel Calgarypuck and the Summer Prospect Ranking has become an institution for rabid Calgary hockey fans.

2013 - Sean Monahan is the top prospect (2013)

2014 - Johnny Gaudreau takes his turn (2014)

2015 - Sam Bennett come on down! (2015)

The last three years have had a prospect named first, and then make an impact right away on the NHL team. Bennett had to have surgery and mop up the OHL first, but all three were big players for the Flames right away.

Will that be the case again this year?

As per usual the vote is up to you. Some see it as most likely to play, some see it as highest ceiling, others see it as a mix of both.

Happy voting!

Round 1 - Tkachuk 83% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=155575 )
Round 2 - Jankowski 42% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=155585)
Round 3 - Gillies 65% (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=155591)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #2
flamesfan55
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

After seeing this list I feel we have a lot of low end talent.
flamesfan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flamesfan55 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2016, 07:06 AM   #3
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This next group for me consists of Hickey, Kylington, Mangiapane, Shinkaruk, and Andersson. You could make a case for any of them, so I think it comes down to gut instincts.

I'll say Kylington purely for having the highest potential of anyone in this group. If he comes close to that potential, he could rival Erik Karlsson. If he doesn't develop enough defensively, he could be Justin Schultz.

Seeing how far he came in his first season in the AHL, I'm inclined to think he'll be at least better than Schultz.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2016, 07:08 AM   #4
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan55 View Post
Pretty fair assessment. Although all the high end talent has been quick to graduate from prospect to pro status fairly quickly in years past. I hope there's some middle six forwards and middle pairing D in this list still. Judging from the names, that's not too much to hope for I don't think.
Finger Cookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:13 AM   #5
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I suspect Kylington will have a big year and if he's not a full time flame by the end of this coming season he will be next.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:22 AM   #6
tko
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Went with kylington for the 3rd straight time
tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:22 AM   #7
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

can't wait to get informed how I voted incorrectly ... but Kylington.

Surprised I have him above Anderssen but the two seem to have flopped standing this summer.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #8
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
This next group for me consists of Hickey, Kylington, Mangiapane, Shinkaruk, and Andersson. You could make a case for any of them, so I think it comes down to gut instincts.

I'll say Kylington purely for having the highest potential of anyone in this group. If he comes close to that potential, he could rival Erik Karlsson. If he doesn't develop enough defensively, he could be Justin Schultz.

Seeing how far he came in his first season in the AHL, I'm inclined to think he'll be at least better than Schultz.
I still think Poirier is in this group, though I'm not voting for him yet. Hopefully last year was an off year and working on his weaknesses and learning that it is not just going to happen but he is going to have to fight for it.

I still believe.

But talk to me again at Christmas and I may (hopefully not) have a different opinion. Feels like the make or break year for him
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:28 AM   #9
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO Anderssen is still the better overall prospect than Kylington which is why I picked him. Poirier is still a good prospect that could make the team with a good preseason and I gave him some consideration as well.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:28 AM   #10
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
can't wait to get informed how I voted incorrectly ... but Kylington.

Surprised I have him above Anderssen but the two seem to have flopped standing this summer.
I am with you. Some will undoubtedly say it is an over reaction to Andersson's conditioning but until he proves he can put that behind him, it certainly raises a question mark on him. He would not be the first pro athlete to not make it because of training habits even though you think it would be correctible.

The team really needs some prospects to emerge this year and surprise.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2016, 07:31 AM   #11
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there are a bunch of prospects that are bunched together that could get my vote. Went for hickey. Honestly in a few hours i probably will have changed my mind. Went with Hickey because he is highly thought of within the organization.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:32 AM   #12
Stupid
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Andersson for the third time already.

He seems to have very few warts in his game/frame/IQ/etc. I know it's not the flashiest pick but both Janko and Gillies are at least equally questionable if not more when it comes to projecting them. Goalies are always difficult to project and I'm still not convinced about Jankowski (although I have good hopes for him). These question marks are what makes me give the edge to Andersson.

I think he'll be a reliable two way defender that won't be pushed around. I think he'll be a solid top 4 defender, top 3 if he really knocks it out of the park, top 5 if he doesn't do so hot.

All of this based on nothing but stuff other people write about him, so yea, there's that...
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:32 AM   #13
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

this the fork in the road where i think we'll see lot's of interesting debate.

I went with Hickey with a close runner up in Anderssen. I have more faith in these 2, as i feel there is a much higher probability of them making it at the nhl level. Kylington has an intriguing skillset, but feel he's a bit less of being able to make it to the next level just yet.

Of course, the above is based on just reading stuff, haven't watched any of them really play all that much so i may be completely off.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:39 AM   #14
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kylington
Andersson
Shinkaruk
Hickey

The Hickey one is an interesting one for me, by all accounts he's made a great case for being even a little higher than that, but I don't follow the college players as much so I'm not really able to make that call based on more than what I read in the development camp thread
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:41 AM   #15
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Voted Kylington again, he is #2 on my list, Andersson is #3, Hickey is #7
Not voting Rasmus yet, but silly for anyone to discount him because he was a bit out of shape at an orientation camp in the middle of the summer.
He has been fantastic in actual games that matter, that should carry much much more weight than him being out of breath last week.
I was voting Oliver #2 last year and my opinion hasn't changed much...a future star.
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:41 AM   #16
VaporTrail
Draft Pick

Kylington for me.

Because ceiling matters and talent is the key factor when talking about prospects.
VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:42 AM   #17
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't overly impressed with Kylington when I listened/watched the Heat this year. I get that he was young, but the defense needs a lot of work. I do think he has a high ceiling due to his strong skating.

I like Hickey a lot, but his offensive role diminished a bit this year. He's still an all-around prospect.

But I'm going with Anderssen, because he had such a strong year in the OHL. Maybe he didn't look great in the development camp, but that's a pretty small sample.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2016, 07:43 AM   #18
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough choice:

Kylington - still need to learn the defensive game and had a concussion in his first year of the AHL.
Shinkaruk - He was solid in his NHL games, but I don't think played well enough to guarantee himself a spot on the NHL roster next season.
Hickey - Made the World Juniors but didn't play that well in college last season.
Mangiapane - Put up a ton of points in junior, but I think he will struggle to produce in the AHL, at least in his first season.
Anderssen - One of the best defensemen in Junior hockey but has conditioning concerns.
Pribyl - Hard to judge coming from the Czech league, but besides Shinkaruk might the most skilled NHL ready forward. Though he is recovering from an injury.

I have to go with Shinkaruk. The guy has a good chance on being in the top-6 next season. If he was a Flames draft pick, he would be higher on a lot of fans rankings.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2016, 07:47 AM   #19
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I have to go with Shinkaruk. The guy has a good chance on being in the top-6 next season. If he was a Flames draft pick, he would be higher on a lot of fans rankings.
Agree with this sentiment.
Shinkaruk is our best prospect forward after Tkachuk.
Should be higher than Jankowski in my opinion.
I have some D higher than him, but he is #5 on my list.
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:01 AM   #20
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan55 View Post
Most organizations have a very small set of true high end prospects and a long list of long shots and lower talent projects. If anything the Flames have more higher end talent in the system than they have had traditionally
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote