Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-22-2021, 04:43 PM   #21
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The Heat can play out of Hamilton. The Hamilton Heat!
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:31 PM   #22
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

looks like this confirmed

https://www.recordnet.com/story/news...on/4252186001/

Quote:
The Stockton Heat professional hockey team will not be playing in the city this season.

City and county officials confirmed that the franchise has decided to play its games in Calgary, Alberta, the hometown of its NHL parent organization, the Calgary Flames. The news comes just days after the Heat released its 2021 schedule. The decision does not mean the team will not return to Stockton in the future, according to city officials.

Officials with the Flames and Heat declined to comment on the situation. Stockton community relations officer Connie Cochran said the city was informed late last week that the American Hockey League franchise would be playing in Canada, reportedly because of COVID-19 concerns.

The Heat’s original five-year lease to play at Stockton Arena officially ended last season, but the team and city agreed to a one-season extension this season while contract negotiations continued.

“From what I understand, they felt they were at a point where they had to make a decision where they would play this season, and they made it,” Cochran said. “That doesn’t mean they won’t play here in the future.”

Cochran said there are not any updates on the contract situation or how the extension will be handled.

The decision came as a surprise to the Heat’s fans and at least some of its employees. On Friday, a schedule was released indicating the Heat would begin the season in Colorado on Feb. 5 and would play its first home game on Feb. 14 against the Bakersfield Condors at Stockton Arena. On the same day, Darren Dreger, an NHL writer for Canada’s The Sports Network, tweeted there was a “strong chance” the Heat would be relocating to Calgary for the season because it had not received clearance from health officials in San Joaquin County.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 04:40 PM   #23
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird. It originally sounded like the decision was coming from the county, but reading the release from Stockton, it sounds like the Flames made the decision.

I have to say, not having a lease agreement in Stockton for next season does make me wonder if the want to move the team to another location.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:42 PM   #24
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Finally a second AHL team in Alberta.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:48 PM   #25
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Weird. It originally sounded like the decision was coming from the county, but reading the release from Stockton, it sounds like the Flames made the decision.

I have to say, not having a lease agreement in Stockton for next season does make me wonder if the want to move the team to another location.
I mean if the county wasn't going to give them permission to play, then their only options were to delay the season until permission got obtained (if ever) or move the team for the season.

I think there preference was to have the team in Stockton for a pure cost perspective, otherwise it wouldn't have gotten to the point where the announced the schedule.

Most likely the conversations with the county got them 2nd guessing if it was likely they would be able to play in Stockton at all.

Last edited by sureLoss; 01-25-2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:51 PM   #26
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

This may end up being permanent.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:55 PM   #27
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great organizational decision. It really makes a lot of sense on a lot of levels.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:08 PM   #28
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
This may end up being permanent.
I dunno. The Flames had the chance to put their farm team in Calgary a couple of years ago when the deal with Abbotsford expired.

It didn't happen then, someone can enlighten me as to why.

My complete guess is that the population of Calgary can't support the Flames, Hitmen and the Heat, and also the travel issues since (I believe) Abbotsford was the western-most AHL team by a long stretch. This was somewhat remedied by creating an "all-California" division where multiple AHL teams were moved Westward. It reduces travel between teams if they're closer together (remember that AHL teams will sometimes travel by bus).

On the plus side, putting the AHL team in Calgary makes call-ups a lot easier without having to worry about quarantine crossing the Canada/US border. Might also allow some of the younger AHL players to get some exposure to the NHL vets.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
I dunno. The Flames had the chance to put their farm team in Calgary a couple of years ago when the deal with Abbotsford expired.

It didn't happen then, someone can enlighten me as to why.

My complete guess is that the population of Calgary can't support the Flames, Hitmen and the Heat, and also the travel issues since (I believe) Abbotsford was the western-most AHL team by a long stretch. This was somewhat remedied by creating an "all-California" division where multiple AHL teams were moved Westward. It reduces travel between teams if they're closer together (remember that AHL teams will sometimes travel by bus).

On the plus side, putting the AHL team in Calgary makes call-ups a lot easier without having to worry about quarantine crossing the Canada/US border. Might also allow some of the younger AHL players to get some exposure to the NHL vets.
Average attendance in Stockton was 3,690 and I'm guessing average ticket price at about $25.00 factoring in discounts. That's about $92,250 average gate per game.

If the Flames decided to sell tickets at a low price to target kids and schools and minor hockey associations, how low could they go to hit that $92,250 per game gate?

Could they sell tickets at $10 per and attract 9,225 fans per game? A family of 3 (say one parent and two kids) could maybe have a decent night out for $50 (including parking and concessions). Dinner for 3 at McDonald's is about $30 alone so and extra $20 and you get to watch some hockey seems good to me. Season tickets of $1,750 for 3 seats?

I might consider that but only because I like watching Flames prospects. Is the hockey market here big enough? I feel like Edmonton could probably support that since they are already paying a tonne for an AHL team, not sure about Calgary.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:21 PM   #30
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm actually a little surprised that Edmonton or Calgary has not taken advantage of the new building in Saskatoon. That province gets rabid about any sports that they can get their hands on, and it seems like a great long term marketing opportunity.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:27 PM   #31
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I'm wondering why the AHL hasn't given Regina or Saskatoon a shot. Is it travel-related?
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:29 PM   #32
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could they end up playing in a smaller venue like Winsport to reduce Covid exposure? Or is it going to matter that much?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:31 PM   #33
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Yeah, I'm wondering why the AHL hasn't given Regina or Saskatoon a shot. Is it travel-related?
Yes.

The American League is basically a regional bus league. Stockton normally would play the other 6-7 teams in their division, with a handful against teams in their conference.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 05:33 PM   #34
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

If the Heat is going to be Calgary-based, I'd like to see a local broadcaster carry the games.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:35 PM   #35
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Winsport is being turned into a curling hub and will be hosting every major curling event from late February through early April.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:39 PM   #36
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Winsport is being turned into a curling hub and will be hosting every major curling event from late February through early April.
Wasn't that all cancelled?
Old 01-25-2021, 05:41 PM   #37
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what now. The AHL goes to an all Canadian division too?
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:42 PM   #38
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Pat Steinberg thinks they'll play out of the Saddledome.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:44 PM   #39
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Wasn't that all cancelled?
Not that I've heard.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:44 PM   #40
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
So what now. The AHL goes to an all Canadian division too?
Yes they already had an all Canadian Division before this was announced. Toronto, Laval, Bellville, and Winnipeg.