Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-20-2021, 09:43 AM   #41
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What did he say again? I don't remember.
Quote:
"If you think about it, it's a terrific environment with regard to -- if you enjoy playing and enjoy being with your teammates for long periods of time, it's a perfect place," Boucher said.

"Not even any woman here to disrupt your concentration," Milbury responded.

The NHL condemned the comments as "insensitive and insulting." The league said it communicated its concern to NBC, its U.S. TV partner.
I mean...who is offended/insulted by that and how is it insensitive?

To the players maybe because they can get distracted?
Old 01-20-2021, 09:44 AM   #42
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What did he say again? I don't remember.
This.
Quote:
Boucher: If you think about it, it's a terrific environment with regard to, if you enjoy playing and enjoy being with your teammates for long periods of time, it's a perfect place.
Milbury: Not even any women here to disrupt your concentration.
Which would not be anything remotely worthy of being fired for if not for this being a straw that broke the camel's back situation.

Frankly I never thought he should have ever been hired in the first place. The guy's legacy in the league is being absolutely terrible at player evaluation. Why would anyone listen to him about hockey? He spent his entire career in management being wrong. And his playing career is remembered for the time he beat up a fan with a shoe. The guy is a joke.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 01-20-2021 at 09:47 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 10:14 AM   #43
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables16 View Post
Babcock strikes me as having become a coach so that he could wield power over people and manipulate them psychologically for his amusement. While his personality is incredibly bland and uncharismatic there is a way that he can still be an entertaining analyst. If he just starts letting his facade slip and displaying increasingly concerning sociopathic tendencies, like Dennis on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, there's no way I'd be missing one of his segments. I'm sure he has curated dossiers on everyone who has played for him over the years which could be a great ratings bump during playoffs.
The problem with that is that he's I think pretty much guaranteed to use his new podium as a place to stroke his own ego and talk bs about people, and millions will believe him.

I mean, didn't we just learn the lesson that giving a sociopath an audience and treating him as entertainment is a really bad idea?
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 12:36 PM   #44
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

I believe it's considered insulting because women have a long history of being blamed for the poor behaviour or performance of men. In this instance there's a lot of women who want to work in this field as journalists and are immediatley seen as eye-candy at best, unwelcome at worst. On the surface it is just a small comment, but it sits alongside decades of comments heard in sport, religion, or business meant to keep women in (or out of) a certain place.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 12:43 PM   #45
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

He should have apologized on air. Hardly an offence for which he should lose his job.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:11 PM   #46
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
He should have apologized on air. Hardly an offence for which he should lose his job.
He should not have apologized. He did absolutely nothing wrong. Simply because a vocal group of people perceived it as being offensive does not mean an apology is owed. It isn't hate speech. It doesn't incite violence. Welcome to reality, occasionally you might be offended by stuff.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 01:42 PM   #47
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Men being distracted by women? Now I've heard of everything.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:46 PM   #48
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
He should not have apologized. He did absolutely nothing wrong. Simply because a vocal group of people perceived it as being offensive does not mean an apology is owed. It isn't hate speech. It doesn't incite violence. Welcome to reality, occasionally you might be offended by stuff.
Oh I agree 100% he did nothing wrong.

I was thinking an apology might have satisfied NBC, but who knows maybe they floated that and he told them to get lost.

I hope he sued NBC.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:49 PM   #49
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

It isn’t about “sensitivity” or “I’m offended.”

Where does it add value tot the broadcast or provide any insight?

It doesn’t.

It’s useless at best. What woman who was thinking of watching hockey would be drawn to a statement like that.

Any reasonable person exploring hockey would easily say, “thanks but no thanks I’ll spend viewing time watching something that isn’t commentated on by complete morons.”

Of course if they were to investigate Milbury at all they would see he’s one of the biggest clowns and frauds in hockey history. Between climbing into the crowd to beat a fan with a shoe or trading Bertuzzi, McCabe, Chara, and Spezza for Yashin, and Linden. I’m sure Islanders fans have nightmares about his tenure.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 01:58 PM   #50
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Men being distracted by women? Now I've heard of everything.
Just because what he says may have a grain of truth doesn’t make it the right or proper thing to say, especially on national television.

It’s a basic concept of being respectful and polite.

It’s like walking into your friends house and his wife says...

“hey what do you think of my new painting.”

And you say...

“I think it’s ugly.”

You may be right. You also are neither respectful nor polite.

This is a basic concept for civil society. Any requirements of sports broadcasting exceed this. Milbury is a hack who has never been able to provide insight into the modern game. Why put up with this nonsense when there are more talented people to fill the position.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:24 PM   #51
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

It’s nothing like that. Making a very tame joke about how young men are distracted by women is so benign, obvious and generally true. Are we not allowed to make those kind of comments on tv? Let’s have every tv personality behave exactly the same, right down the middle, nothing that could be construed as mildly rude or offensive. This movement is going to consume itself.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 07:34 PM   #52
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I believe it's considered insulting because women have a long history of being blamed for the poor behaviour or performance of men. In this instance there's a lot of women who want to work in this field as journalists and are immediatley seen as eye-candy at best, unwelcome at worst. On the surface it is just a small comment, but it sits alongside decades of comments heard in sport, religion, or business meant to keep women in (or out of) a certain place.
The problem is Everything is over analyzed, looking for a problem at every turn.

Beautiful women distract men, news at 11.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 07:34 PM   #53
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah - nail on the head here. Not to mention men consistently portrayed as knuckleheads with beer guts in female circles. It may not be true, but is such a harmless thing that nobody should take offence to lighthearted stuff like this. People are turning into drones with no personality to walk on eggshells nowadays.

As for why he got fired, if I were to guess it's more because of Roenick's comments where those were the original shots fired. They'd drawn the line early and wanted to set the standard (probably wrongly but also probably scared of some lawsuit from someone). What's just as puzzling is Babcock though. If you want to set a standard you just don't hire a guy who's had a fuzzy past publicly. It's such a contradictory move.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:24 PM   #54
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
The problem is Everything is over analyzed, looking for a problem at every turn.

Beautiful women distract men, news at 11.
No.

The problem is Milbury is terrible at his job.

End of story.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 10:43 PM   #55
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was probably warned to curb those type of comments and when he didn't - he got canned.
Networks are not going to take any chances with this stuff. They can simply hire someone that they know can do the job as well, and they don't have to be worried about them saying something stupid.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:36 AM   #56
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Do we even have any proof he was let go for that specific comment? The dude has years of bad takes. Maybe his contract was up and they just chose to move on?

A company made a business decision about a poor employee. Sorry it triggered so many of you.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:55 AM   #57
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
He was probably warned to curb those type of comments and when he didn't - he got canned.
Networks are not going to take any chances with this stuff. They can simply hire someone that they know can do the job as well, and they don't have to be worried about them saying something stupid.
Oh?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #58
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
They can simply hire someone that they know can do the job as well, and they don't have to be worried about them saying something stupid.
And that guy is Babcock?
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:08 AM   #59
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I dislike Babcock, he’s unlikely to do anything publicly on air. He’s a behind the scenes guy. He’ll be that annoying know it all on the air with his cliches and technical talk. Still can’t ignore his past issues with players. It really takes the cake but he sold some exec on Mike Babcock, and whatever Mike Babcock wants, Mike Babcock gets. I can’t believe with his Lebrun interview he said he wouldn’t be interested in the team Canada position because it was someone else’s turn. Like, who said he was considered with all the baggage aired out? Goodwill gesture my butt.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2021, 10:40 AM   #60
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

"Controversial guy with strong opinions leads to additional interest and viewership"...news at 11.