Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-25-2021, 03:22 PM   #441
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Well for those wanting to change the roster, look at all of the friendly contracts the Flames have

To get someone to replace Johnny’s 80-90 points or whatever, you are big getting that fir below 7 million, and there are no Stajan or Brouwer to throw in to your trade proposal to make the dollars work

Lindholm is on a ridiculously team friendly deal

I think a roster shakeup gets pretty ugly on the ice before it gets better
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:26 PM   #442
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok but that's a different topic all together. And it's also why I've argued that it's not about trading Johnny because he won't re-sign here. It's about the best outcome to maximize the asset while he's on that deal and to avoid two bad outcomes
1. He walks for nothing (risk)
2. He re-signs for a big fat long-term deal

But the first question is do we agree that the roster needs to be re-shaped?
If yes then we can debate how one does that.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:27 PM   #443
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
“Anyways I stand by my main hypothesis which is that there is a psychological convenience in not placing primary blame on the coaching because it is exceedingly unlikely to be changed, and accepting or resigning yourself to the resultant inevitable hopelessness is not comfortable.”

I think the other conclusion is way more convenient - that this core is just fine and all they need is the right coach. That’s a far easier thing for a fan to swallow, as opposed to “my team just isn’t very good”.
I don't think your assessment is fair.

I think a far more fair assessment of what [fans] think is this:

"This team may not be the best team in the league, but they've shown they can score plenty of goals, and they've shown they can carry the play, and as a collective they are grossly underperforming relative to their potential. Their potential may be limited, as their #1C (if Monahan is that) lacks dynamicism, their #2C (if Lindholm is that) doesn't appear to drive play, and their #3C (if Backlund is that) is weak on faceoffs, their #4C is on LTIR, they don't even appear to have a #1 defenseman - but these are the sort of minutea that we'd like to be complaining about, rather than the team collectively looking like far less than the sum of its parts."

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:26 PM   #444
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
If they have the money and a candidate they like ... by all means fire Geoff Ward. I'm honestly not a fan.

But I think we'd see soon after that either they hired a "bad" coach again, or that the roster itself isn't good enough.

I think both the coaching and the roster needs a change.
I agree with this entirely and it is such an awful indictment on the GM who has been here for 7 years that we have the wrong coach and the wrong roster.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:07 PM   #445
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I don't think your assessment is fair.

I think a far more fair assessment of what [fans] think is this:

"This team may not be the best team in the league, but they've shown they can score plenty of goals, and they've shown they can carry the play, and as a collective they are grossly underperforming relative to their potential. Their potential may be limited, as their #1C (if Monahan is that) lacks dynamicism, their #2C (if Lindholm is that) doesn't appear to drive play, and their #3C (if Backlund is that) is weak on faceoffs, their #4C is on LTIR, they don't even appear to have a #1 defenseman - but these are the sort of minutea that we'd like to be complaining about, rather than the team collectively looking like far less than the sum of its parts."
You and I are both guilty of generalizing but yours is a little less realistic than mine, for the average fan. But I guarantee you I can find posts on this site claiming the Flames would be right up there with the best, if they only had a good coach.

I agree they’ve shown they can be great in spurts, the longest being a half season under Peters. And I agree a new coach could probably squeeze better play for a while. I think an elite coach could do a little more. But I also think this team has forwards weaker line for line than any top teams. Now, with Markstrom, sure, they have a shot at a PO run, but that’s Markstrom. It’s not a coach.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:48 PM   #446
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Your biggest assumption is that the Flames would have that info available at a moments notice to make that decision, when we know they don’t. It’s hard enough to figure out if interference even existed, much less crunch those numbers. Especially when there wasn’t any obvious interference.
Believe me when I say I am under no assumption the Flames would have the foresight to have something cheap and valuable like that in place. I would be astounded if they did in fact. They absolutely should though.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:47 AM   #447
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Post game links
https://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/box...s=3&final=true
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl...cap133898.html