Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #101
Knut

Exp:

Its a pattern with Tiger. I think his upbringing made him miss out on learning about a lot of social norms out there. The Tiger Woods Book by Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian goes in pretty good depth about it.

He never lived a normal life and never learned proper social norms. Not excusing him of course.

He tipped like Jordan and dumped people once they were no longer useful. Once the relationship ended you never heard from him again.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:49 AM   #102
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

As a fellow human I wish him a speedy recovery and hope he can get to the point where he can live a pain free, addiction free life but man, I can’t imagine being that wealthy AND that cheap.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:04 PM   #103
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
"Will have to pull the black box event recorder from the vehicle"

Vehicles have black boxes?
Surprisingly, yes, many/most vehicles do.

Some insurance companies will provide discounts (or increases!) if you allow them access to these devices and they monitor driving parameters.

https://www.hyperlube.com/blog/blog/...e-a-black-box/
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #104
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not clicking on any website called "hyperlube".
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 12:25 PM   #105
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the story must have more to it too. It sounded like a pretty glitzy restaurant- I sincerely doubt (or at least hope) that the Navy Seal guys didn't suggest to Tiger they should all go to lunch there after the training. More than likely, Tiger suggested they all go to lunch.

This would also imply, because of Tiger's obscene wealth and relationship to the people training him, that he was likely to pay for the expensive meal at the place the Seals don't normally go. I would expect the same.

That said, I am making a lot of assumptions here. I agree that it is pretty unreasonable/ ####ty of anyone just to expect someone else to buy them a lunch, regardless of relative financial situations. But there are many circumstances in which wealthy people's actions do convey an idea that they will pay for things for others, and this is where i could see Tiger being completely unaware of the norm or how he says things being perceived.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:42 PM   #106
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't think it is that complicated. I am not rich, but if I ask my buddies to help me move, or if I need a ride to the airport or something, I am at a minimum buying lunch or a case of beer or something. If I was worth 100's of millions, and the other guys are pulling 30k a year, yeah, I better pay the tab and not be a cheap prick about it.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 12:57 PM   #107
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Surprisingly, yes, many/most vehicles do.

Some insurance companies will provide discounts (or increases!) if you allow them access to these devices and they monitor driving parameters.

https://www.hyperlube.com/blog/blog/...e-a-black-box/
Easiest way for an insurance company to get out of paying in the event there’s a claim.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:38 PM   #108
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of those Navy Seal guys suffer from life-long injuries, PTSD, and are at a high risk for certain types of cancers due to all the chemicals they are exposed and vapourized lead they breathe in. To them, it's not a game or a hobby. For Tiger Woods, it is.

The least he should have done was pick up the tab. I know people who aren't millionaires that would have done it.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:50 PM   #109
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Do we know that his training sessions with the seals were free of charge? They allowed Tiger to come play fantasy soldier multiple times for free? I'm just wondering, if it was a pay for play situation then maybe Tiger felt less inclined to pay for the meals.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:47 PM   #110
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

This is hilarious, it just keeps going and going.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 02:40 PM   #111
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
This is hilarious, it just keeps going and going.
No kidding, Tiger Woods has probably given more to charity than any other athlete in history
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:47 PM   #112
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
No kidding, Tiger Woods has probably given more to charity than any other athlete in history
quite possibly true, but that doesnt mean he cant be a cheap ######bag, charitable donations are a useful tax avoidance and PR move
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:14 PM   #113
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe the Seals were total jerks so he chose an expensive restaurant on purpose.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:26 PM   #114
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Maybe the Seals were total jerks so he chose an expensive restaurant on purpose.
This... Who knows if they're chuckling behind Tigers back while doing this. IF that is the case then F them but I doubt it.

if they're genuine and donating their time... A free lunch would be the least he could do IMO. These guys don't make a much $$$$ but the do enable the Tigers etc to live their life and make tons of cash...

Average people making average salaries quite often pick up the tabs for public servants out of gratitude which is amazing. Not sure how Tiger felt right about splitting that bill. He likely is a strange fellow due to the environment he was brought up in.
IGGYRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:51 PM   #115
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
quite possibly true, but that doesnt mean he cant be a cheap ######bag, charitable donations are a useful tax avoidance and PR move
Tigers foundation isn't just about donations for tax write offs, he spends up to 6 weeks a year of his time traveling all over the country on it, Forbes has named his foundation #1 for transparency and money donated for celebs for many years. The guy simply does a lot of good for kids on a personal level.

Seems silly to call him a cheap ######bag over what could have been some sort of mistake or misunderstanding
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 01:36 AM   #116
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

If you want a good insight into Tiger Woods as a person I woud suggest you read Hank Haney's book on Tiger

"The Big Miss, My Years Teaching Tiger Woods".

Quote:
The Big Miss excerpt in Golf Digest last month laid the foundation of Tiger's obsession with the military, his Navy SEAL experimentation and the toll it took on his body. What absolutely blew my mind was Tiger's answer to this question from Haney:

"Tiger. Man, what are you doing?

Are you out of your mind?

What about Nicklaus's record?

Don't you care about that?"

Tiger's answer—which, OK I'll admit, it's shocking—is worth the price of the book.
Quote:
The picture Haney paints is that Tiger was going to be a difficult student, that he wasn't just going to accept what Haney was saying. Trust would have to be hard earned.

The message Tiger wanted to send was clear: "When I play bad, when I don't win, it's your fault."

It was a blend of selfishness, obsessiveness, stubbornness, coldness, ruthlessness, pettiness and cheapness that somehow turned out to be both good and bad, depending on the situation he was in.

Haney admitted to being one of Tiger's enablers, though. He never really challenged Tiger to be a better human being, but he never really saw anyone else do it, either.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...nk-haneys-book

Old 02-28-2021, 02:00 AM   #117
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Tigers foundation isn't just about donations for tax write offs, he spends up to 6 weeks a year of his time traveling all over the country on it, Forbes has named his foundation #1 for transparency and money donated for celebs for many years. The guy simply does a lot of good for kids on a personal level.

Seems silly to call him a cheap ######bag over what could have been some sort of mistake or misunderstanding
well two points, first I didnt say he was a cheap ###### I just said he could be one, and secondly I would expect his charity to be nothing less than top notch, the Livestrong Foundation is peerless and has helped hundreds of thousands of cancer patients but even Lance Armstrong has admitted he was a ###### (and for the record I love Armstrong and think he was screwed).

Top notch athletes have top notch charities, it is part of the job, at a certain point in their career their manager and PR team tell them its time for a charity, it is priceless publicity, a massive PR win, a tax write off and can be played as a hugely useful part of damage control if someone is caught doping or whoring, Tiger Woods is a brand, he makes his money selling things, good PR is a huge part of that.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 10:07 PM   #118
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
well two points, first I didnt say he was a cheap ###### I just said he could be one, and secondly I would expect his charity to be nothing less than top notch, the Livestrong Foundation is peerless and has helped hundreds of thousands of cancer patients but even Lance Armstrong has admitted he was a ###### (and for the record I love Armstrong and think he was screwed).

Top notch athletes have top notch charities, it is part of the job, at a certain point in their career their manager and PR team tell them its time for a charity, it is priceless publicity, a massive PR win, a tax write off and can be played as a hugely useful part of damage control if someone is caught doping or whoring, Tiger Woods is a brand, he makes his money selling things, good PR is a huge part of that.
Off off topic, but how was Armstrong screwed? He's one of the biggest cheaters ever.
How can you love a guy who built his career and fortune by doing nothing but cheating, and being a huge hypocrite in his facade in covering it.

I dislike tiger but can at least respect his career.

#### lance Armstrong
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 11:11 PM   #119
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Off off topic, but how was Armstrong screwed? He's one of the biggest cheaters ever.
How can you love a guy who built his career and fortune by doing nothing but cheating, and being a huge hypocrite in his facade in covering it.

I dislike tiger but can at least respect his career.

#### lance Armstrong
Cycling is the dirtiest sport I’ve ever seen. It’s the only sport where you NEED to use performance enhancers or competing at the highest level is impossible.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:54 AM   #120
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Cycling is the dirtiest sport I’ve ever seen. It’s the only sport where you NEED to use performance enhancers or competing at the highest level is impossible.
If there ever was an athlete that was screwed by the system it was Ben Johnson. Every single person on that line was juiced up and he was the only one whos life was destroyed. They are all a bunch of liars. The ones with the best doctors get away with it.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RogerWilco For This Useful Post: