Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-02-2020, 07:57 PM   #41
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
93 to 94?
Well, keep in mind that the platform that saw the most innovation across its lifecycle was the PC.

Every game had a different front-end experience until after 2005 or so when it started to become just a re-skin. Every game generally brought significant improvements to gameplay physics, AI, graphics, sound, and game-modes.

- NHL 95 for PC was basically a better version of NHL 95 for SNES, so a sort-of top-down approach using 3D sprites
- NHL 96 for PC was the first year of the Virtual Stadium tech, using 2D player sprites in a 3D arena. There was now an arena announcer that used the real player names.
- NHL 97 built on the Virtual Stadium tech and added 3D player models with real player faces, scoreboards with score, shot, time, and penalty values that reflected what was actually happening in the game. It was also the first year of play-by-play by Jim Hughson. (And you could fight the ref.)
- NHL 98 brought hardware 3D acceleration using Glide (3dfx cards), while the 3D implementation continued to improve. Arenas now had more accurate ice logos and scoreboards. Color commentary was added.
- NHL 99 expanded the hardware 3D accelerator support to Direct 3D cards like Nvidia's Riva TNT and the ATI Rage.
- NHL 2000 polished the 3D implementation and upped the framerate, plus brought a new fantasy draft mode.
- NHL 2001 allowed you to import a picture of your face into the Create a Player mode and map the eyes, nose, mouth, and head shape to the photo so you could have your face in the game.
- NHL 2002 was the first year that the graphical changes were not as noticeable, but a few new features were added and the AI was dramatically improved.

Game modes were added and enhanced year to year. I feel like once EA became a juggernaut and started buying up studios all over the place, their focus really shifted away from innovating.
TorqueDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #42
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The skill stick was the last innovative feature and perhaps gm connected.

Very little actual innovation in about a decade
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:02 PM   #43
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
with 2 little kids now, this is basically the only video game I play. Online is a brutal experience for me, so stick to offline modes like be a gm, but the game play has been pretty frigin bad offline (and online for that matter).

I'm contemplating making this the first year since the 90s to not buy this year's game, but with no real alternatives, I'm doubtful to stay strong.
Why not just stick with last years version?

or go EA access and get a bunch of games

NFL is the same, terrible this year
Old 09-03-2020, 06:45 AM   #44
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a travesty how EA has milked these franchises (NFL especially) for decades putting as little effort and resources as possible to make the illusion of a new game. The reality is you get a higher resolution game at the beginning of every console cycle and the following years are simply minor tweaks and roster updates for the retail cost of a brand new game. I used to buy them annually but stopped as I don't want to be a part of supporting what they are doing with these franchises. EA is the worst thing to ever happen to video games IMO.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:38 AM   #45
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

One of the worst parts to me has always been the lack of realism. And not just little things that are probably somewhat difficult (like the way the jerseys move and having the numbers act as the same material as the jersey) but the things that should be easy.

Example: Dillon Dube looks like Dillon Dube in NHL 20 (or as close as you can kind of expect given how bad EA is with NHL player likeness). But Sam Bennett, who has been in the league longer, looks literally nothing like Sam Bennett and has this weird reddish/brown beard. Is this a minor thing? Yes. But it's always been completely jarring to me to see players that have been in the league for a few years look absolutely nothing like real life, especially compared to some players who have barely played a full season or some draft picks.

It's just bizarre. Every single part of the game is at best "good, but with some obvious flaws that would have been easy to fix." And anything even remotely difficult to fix? Forget it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:13 AM   #46
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lack of budget probably has alot to do with why only so many faces are in. But yeah, some of the choices they make of who goes in vs who doesn't is puzzling.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:43 AM   #47
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
A lack of budget probably has alot to do with why only so many faces are in. But yeah, some of the choices they make of who goes in vs who doesn't is puzzling.
I used to have fun modding the graphics of the NHL games on PC as a kid. EA's laziness when it comes to player faces is just embarrassing for the most part.

Dug this post up from the NHL15 thread because it still applies to so many players. Back when Giordano still didn't have a face:
Quote:

Of these 2 screenshots, which one is from NHL14 and which one is from NHL04 updated by a fan?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #48
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I used to have fun modding the graphics of the NHL games on PC as a kid. EA's laziness when it comes to player faces is just embarrassing for the most part.

Dug this post up from the NHL15 thread because it still applies to so many players. Back when Giordano still didn't have a face:
Yeah, I used to mod one of the European leagues into the Manitoba Junior Hockey League and was even interviewed by the radio in Winkler about it.

I don't think it's so much laziness as it's they have 600+ players to do and not enough people to do them all so they end up half-assing alot of faces.. The ones who are accurate are scans where someone has made a game res version of it and the other are most likely done using the same face creation tools that are in the game.

It sucks the face import technology they used to use got patented because they probably would be able to do close to everyone if not everyone. Other games have it but NHL probably can't due to their budget. UFC doesn't even have it anymore in the newest version.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #49
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It sucks the face import technology they used to use got patented because they probably would be able to do close to everyone if not everyone. Other games have it but NHL probably can't due to their budget. UFC doesn't even have it anymore in the newest version.
All they needed to do was continue using the create-a-player tech they had in Tiger Woods PGA Tour '07. It was amazing the level of detail you could get into.
TorqueDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:01 PM   #50
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

I play madden franchise (be a gm equivalent) and the drafting/free agency/trading/player progression just feels a lot more interesting and fun. I have played out the dolphins rebuild 2 times over now, and it's so much fun, whether you sim the games or not. (oh by the way, I downloaded a shared roster created by someone that includes all the updated rosters with all the new draft picks, something you can do in madden for a few years now!!!).
Really? Madden's franchise mode is an absolute travesty compared to what it used to be and they haven't updated the mode in a very long time. Each year it's exactly the same.

Madden might be the pinnacle of EA's garbage approach to gaming.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:13 PM   #51
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I used to mod one of the European leagues into the Manitoba Junior Hockey League and was even interviewed by the radio in Winkler about it.

I don't think it's so much laziness as it's they have 600+ players to do and not enough people to do them all so they end up half-assing alot of faces.. The ones who are accurate are scans where someone has made a game res version of it and the other are most likely done using the same face creation tools that are in the game.

The captain of a team and Norris trophy winner should have a recognizable face in the ####ing game...I get missing some rookie or something this has driven me crazy for years. Game is made by Canuck fans though so not suprised
Old 09-03-2020, 06:25 PM   #52
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
The captain of a team and Norris trophy winner should have a recognizable face in the ####ing game...I get missing some rookie or something this has driven me crazy for years. Game is made by Canuck fans though so not suprised
His face is in the game. What AC posted was from 2014.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:47 PM   #53
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

This game has been the same for about 5 Years. Add in some lame new animations and it's still the same garbage.

I was a former community manager too, loved the series but yawwnnnnnnn
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #54
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Started playing this last night. I liked the game play, felt better the last year, speedy wingers can actually get past slow defenders now. Better/ faster basic stick handing too.

Didn’t get into franchise mode too much yet, which I play a ton of, but the contracts are all messed up in that it seams as though next years expiring contracts are lumped in with this years free agent group.... it was late and I was tired while going through an expansion draft by this seemed to be the case. Hopefully the badly needed roster update will fix this.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:02 PM   #55
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
His face is in the game. What AC posted was from 2014.
There was no excuse in 2014 and if his face is now in the game its been only in the last couple years (I wouldn't know)

There are still tons of players with generic faces
Old 10-14-2020, 09:15 PM   #56
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
There was no excuse in 2014 and if his face is now in the game its been only in the last couple years (I wouldn't know)

I’m still stuck on 2015 because I have a PS3, and Gio has a generic face.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:22 PM   #57
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No, his face was in NHL 15. He just looks alot younger. Which is kind of surprising considering how much they left out of that game making the jump to PS4/Xbox One.

I don't disagree that there's tons of generic faces. But I don't expect them to have everyone with the budget they're given.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:40 PM   #58
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
No, his face was in NHL 15. He just looks alot younger. Which is kind of surprising considering how much they left out of that game making the jump to PS4/Xbox One.

I don't disagree that there's tons of generic faces. But I don't expect them to have everyone with the budget they're given.
Whoa that’s fancy, that must be PS4. Up until my PS3 fried a few months back I had been playing NHL 15 for 4 years. His face isn’t in it.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:52 PM   #59
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Whoa that’s fancy, that must be PS4. Up until my PS3 fried a few months back I had been playing NHL 15 for 4 years. His face isn’t in it.
Yeah, come to think of it I think I remember them saying that the PS3 and 360 versions were getting little to no graphical upgrades because of them focusing on what was then "next gen". I remember they had so much trouble getting everything into the PS4 and Xbox One versions that they had to patch certain modes in later.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:13 AM   #60
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

So pissed I bought this game. I hadn't realised they got rid of HUT online seansons. That's literally all I play. God damnit . Waste of money. Going to request a refund. If this taught me anything it's I'm going to go back to buying hard copies only.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 10-19-2020 at 01:53 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote