Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2019, 09:26 PM   #5381
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Except for where she said just that in the same episode because the civilians were complicit in Cercei's reign.
This episode she definitely did say some negative things, and even then didn't say she hated the citizens enough to want them dead after surrender. But you have to admit that up until this episode her mood was entirely different. They painted bags under her eyes and made her evil.

I really liked this episode, but thought the transition could have been much better.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:33 PM   #5382
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

What’s next is more interesting now that she did what she did.

Next step should be burn Jon because people might love him more and Tyrion because traitors will not be tolerated. Then fly to Winterfell to force Sansa to bend the knee and if she doesn’t Winterfell gets torched.

Now that she has become the Mad Queen they better carry it through to the end. Ruthless and extreme consequences for anyone who opposes her.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:42 PM   #5383
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If she tries to burn Jon wouldn't' he survive, being a Targaryen? Then he might be a bit grumpy.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #5384
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Dany pretty much made her commitment to ruling by fear. It's likely either she dies next or Jon and Tyrion die, and Sansa is in some trouble too.

Arguably, Sansa has it coming to her. Her breaking Jon's trust in order to make a political move against Dany is pretty much what precipitated everything falling apart before the last battle. Had she not broken a promise to the guy who puts honesty and being true to word above all, things wouldn't have gotten so out of hand.

Jon's loyalties to both family and Dany are compromised. Sansa broke his trust to undermine his queen, and his queen just went loco killing the living that Jon worked so hard to protect. At this point, he would probably be pretty happy to just head north of the wall and chill with Tormund and Ghost into retirement.

I do kind of wish they had made the reason for Jon losing interest in Dany more explicit. Is it emotional because she's going nuts, or is it just that he's not into doing it with his aunt?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:50 PM   #5385
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are they ever going to deal with the fact that the Night King apparently was also a Targaryen? Maybe he was ok with dying because he recognized that one of his own house was going to lay waste to the Kingdoms of Man, and he just wanted to lord it over Bran, before he died.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:51 PM   #5386
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If she tries to burn Jon wouldn't' he survive, being a Targaryen? Then he might be a bit grumpy.
It’s ambiguous if all Targs are immune to fire or if just Dany is.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 10:03 PM   #5387
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Are they ever going to deal with the fact that the Night King apparently was also a Targaryen? Maybe he was ok with dying because he recognized that one of his own house was going to lay waste to the Kingdoms of Man, and he just wanted to lord it over Bran, before he died.
I don't think that's the case. I think it's pretty much assured that he was not a Targaryen. I assume it's just other magic, like when the fire guarding the tree in the North went out as he stepped upon it before going in to get Bran. He just seemed to have his own magic regarding overcoming fire.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:08 PM   #5388
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He wasn't. The Night King was created more than 8000 years prior to the show and the Targaryens didn't arrive in Westeros until 500 years prior.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:12 PM   #5389
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow, that Heel turn Dany...

That’s like Hogan joining the NWO that night and getting Nash and Hall to pull in audience members into the ring and letting Hogan leg drop on each of them. And even if he leg drops on every fan in that arena, that still doesn’t come close to the magnitude of Dany’s Royal Barbecue

I also don’t get why Tyrion isn’t the happiest man in Westeros. When he was on trial for the murder of Joffrey, didn’t he say he wished Stannis would’ve killed everyone in King’s Landing? And wished he had enough poison for everyone in attendance and would gladly give his life to watch them all swallow it?

Just Enjoy the BBQ, Tyrion

Last edited by Scorch; 05-13-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 10:26 PM   #5390
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

good luck qualifying for long term disability with all those pre-existing concussions, Arya
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:00 PM   #5391
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
The really strange thing is the Iron Fleet got a good solid screen time to develop their back story and then they were gone in 2 min.

Really bizarre.
Think of dragons as the medieval equivalent of a nuke. Very dangerous to use to its full power, but that's what happens when you do. It's the trump card, and the only defense they had was making sure those first shots from the scorpions hit.

If team dany tried to launch an attack with their own fleet, the iron fleet would certainly have the advantage. But she brought a gun to the knife fight instead.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:28 PM   #5392
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So season 6 is in the can.

Just to add, thanks to a friend of mine, I was spoiled on Daeny's destruction of Kings landing.

First of all to season 6, I'm not exactly where I stand, I think it was a good season, but it wasn't as strong as some of the other seasons. But it had some fascinating story arcs.

If I was to describe the theme of the season, it was sweep the table clean. At the end of the day, the Boltons, the Frays, the Faith Militants and their fanatical leadership were wiped away clearing the way for the long winter, and the arrival of Daeny's at Westero.

This season was also about a birth in blood foe Cersei who up until this season was the dominant manipulator in this series but was out manipulated by the High Sparrow and by Margaery before that. And in the end gained the throne at the cost of her two children.

I have to say, that even though there is really only one or two somewhat good people in main character slots, one being Tyrion and the other being Brienne, there are shades of villainy with the absolute blackness of Ramsey Bolton on the other side, while he's brilliant and charismatic he represents the total corruption of power and he's a psychopath on top of that, feeding his step mother and baby brother to the hounds, raping Sansa nightly, hunting woman, chopping off the parts of Theon that offended them. It was somewhat fitting that his death was not pleasant and carried out by the only things that he felt that he could trust, his hounds.

Speaking of Hounds, I wasn't shocked that he was alive, I was intrigued by him living a simple life helping a village building a church and it felt like he was searching for absolution, but he just couldn't find it as he's just too brutal of a personality over what I believe is a hero's heart.

I loved the whole storyline of the faith fanatics taking over Kings Landing and Jonathon Pryce played the High Sparrow with a gleeful level of hypocrisy and a gentle but sadistic nature. He manipulated his way to power through the most vulnerable member of the Lannisters the King himself, the kindly but weak king Tommen.

I thought the storyline of Araya training was really forced and the weak point of the story, it was too much of a combination of those Chinese ninja movies and while she discovered in the end that she wasn't nobody but Arya Stark, it just seemed like a bit of a waste of time. However her gaining revenge on the Fray's by feeding the father his two sons before slashing his throat was chilling

Ok, I want to say that the battle for Winterfell was one of the most amazing filmed battle scenes that I have ever seen, it was brutal and honest and chaotic and the image of the stacks of body as Ramsey mowed down his own men and Snow's match without a care using his archers was amazing and disturbing. As well the arrival of the Knights of the Veil and the effects of a cavalry army against a stationary army was brilliantly portrayed.

With the arrival of Euron Greyjoy and the presentation of the Iron fleet to Daeny's was cool to me.

Ok, onto Daeny's again I was spoiled on her heel turn. I like Daeny's I truly marked at her destruction of the Dothraki leadership. I loved her first flight on the Dragon. She broke her own heart by banishing Jorah twice.

But plain and simply she's always been a pragmatic killer. As it was stated, she's not a Queen she's a conqueror. I think that we can all agree that as a Queen sitting on a throne trying to rule, she's terrible at it. Her decisions allowed for the Slave Masters to rise as well as the Son's of Harpy to take control of most of the city. She's indecisive as a ruler. But she's certainly not when it comes to conquest and fighting.

When she's in Conquest and pacification mode she's absolutely ruthless. Her first instinct when the Slave Masters attacked was to kill them, kill their soldiers and destroy their cities. She ruthlessly nailed masters to the cross. She fed a noble to the dragons even though she didn't care if he was innocent or not. Back in the first season she stood by and even encouraged the brutal execution of her brother. Frankly Daeny's really is a killer under the surface, what soften's her up as a character isn't her, its her advisors. Her advisors are her shades of Gray.

Some observations

They really tried to switch us on Melisandra and soften her up. But Davos' discovery of what she had done and her banishment by Snow was actually a fairly sad scene because I believe that she was having a crisis of faith over it.

Davos is becoming my favorite character. He's Jon Snow's Tyrion, the voice of reason and a good man. His negotiation with the young girl for 62 men was so well done and at the end his face just dropped when they got the number of men that they did.

I loved the scene between Tyrion and Grey Worm and Missandei when he tried to teach them drinking games and jokes. This series really has precious little humor in it at this point. I firmly believe that once in a while no matter how dark a show is you need to put in something light just so viewers can catch their breath.

There was so much to cover, that I didn't even talk about the Sand Sisters who ruthlessly seized power in Dawn, murdered a Lannister and I believe are headed for a downfall.

Rest in Piece Osha, you were bought back long enough to be murdered by Ramsey.

So long to the traitors of the Knights of the Wall. Brutal execution.

We only got a few minutes of the White Walkers and the Night King this year, but their presence was everywhere.

Not much of a season for Jaimie and Brienne development wise.

Still having trouble caring about the three ravens storyline.

I again I loved the battle of WinterFell, but where was Ghost?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:38 PM   #5393
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

great recap Cap. Crappy of your friend to spoil it but then again, it is all anyone talks about right now so hard to stay from.

Agree with you on Three ravens. Big fat who cares.

Davos is a great character and also my favorite. Wish we saw more of his wisdom this year.

The Battle of the Bastards was incredible television. I can still hear Davos yelling “Prepare to charge, prepare to charge!”. So incredibly tense.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:11 AM   #5394
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I really like Lyanna Mormont as the child lord.

I loved the chemistry between Tormound and Davos and the talk the night before the battle.

Its funny because as I watched the battle, it was really a combination of a lot of different strategies, including the encirclement strategy that was used by the Roman's in the Battle of Cannae. In that battle Hannibal broke the envelopment with cavalry charges on the wings of the crescent formation as well

Old 05-14-2019, 12:13 AM   #5395
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
great recap Cap. Crappy of your friend to spoil it but then again, it is all anyone talks about right now so hard to stay from.

Agree with you on Three ravens. Big fat who cares.

Davos is a great character and also my favorite. Wish we saw more of his wisdom this year.

The Battle of the Bastards was incredible television. I can still hear Davos yelling “Prepare to charge, prepare to charge!”. So incredibly tense.

That chaotic sequence from almost like Snow's point of view was amazing to watch.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:15 AM   #5396
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Loved the arrival of the Knights of the Veil

Old 05-14-2019, 12:45 AM   #5397
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
No one seems to be talking enough about the turning point in the show...

When Jon rejected Dany, she says "Let it be fear, then". She was willing to admit that the people loved Jon more, and if they were together, King's Landing would stand. Jon killed everyone in that city, in that moment.

That and the end of Varys. He was attempting to assassinate Dany using the girl from the kitchens to poison her, and the only thing that saved her was her grief from losing her dragon ruining her appetite. Tyrion holding Varys's hand before he died surprised Varys. He thought that he had no real friends, and learned differently right before his death. It was all handled very well, but overshadowed by the rest of the episode. The beginning of the episode was really very strong.

She also would be distraught losing Missandei, whose final word was some foreshadowing.

I haven’t read this whole thread, but another thing that happens related to Varys and the legitimacy of Dany’s claim - right before she does the final heel turn, around when they are switching views between Cersei and Dany, in the shot of the Kings Landing palace, you see 5 or 6 ravens arrive. It is pretty much right before the closeup on Dany, where she takes her decisive action

We know Varys was writing notes and burned his last one before they came for him, and given Dany’s developing paranoia / isolation / madness, perhaps the ravens were one of the last straws.

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 05-14-2019 at 12:48 AM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 01:10 AM   #5398
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 05-14-2019 at 02:33 AM.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:14 AM   #5399
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I don't have an embeddable link but someone on Reddit synced the destruction of King's Landing to AC/DC's "Hells Bells". It works surprisingly well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthron...ell_that_fits/
Or Metallica's For Whom the Bell Tolls:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Metallica/c...he_bell_tolls/
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:28 AM   #5400
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Was out last night so just watched Ep05 now.

Thought it was Jon's charred body with his sword attached that Arya discovered but no on else seems to have mentioned it, so I guess Jon survived the massacre?
Oops, the body was that of the little girl clutching the toy horse....
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote