Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2021, 12:21 PM   #581
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Who was the smallest player Sutter had on his teams? I'll save you the time.

Calgary Flames 2003-04 - Andrew Ference 5'11, 182
Calgary Flames 2005-06 - Daymond Lankow, 5'10 181
Calgary Flames 2006-07 - Daymond Lankow, 5'10 181
Los Angeles Kings 2011-12 - Scott Parse, 5'11 189
Los Angeles Kings 2012-13 - Mike Richards, 5'11 196
Los Angeles Kings 2013-14 - Mike Richards, 5'11 196
Los Angeles Kings 2014-15 - David Van der Guilk, 5'10 173
Los Angeles Kings 2015-16 - Kris Versteeg, 5'11, 176
Los Angeles Kings 2016-17 - Tyler Tyfolli 6,0 198

This is the smallest team that Sutter has ever coached. It's going to get bigger.
Don't forget all the small/skilled and or "soft" players Darryl acquired as GM:

Tanguay, Huselius, Cammalleri, Nigel Dawes, Tony AMonte, Byron Ritchie, Ian White, Niklas Hagman. There's a bunch more under 6' and under 200lbs that i'm not bothering to include.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:33 PM   #582
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

How did those teams fair again? And who was coaching? Suggesting Darryl Sutter's approach as a ####ty general manager is equivalent to his work as a coach, doesn't hold up. Sutter coached teams play a certain style and it requires beef. If you think he's going to be happy about having a bunch of soft midgets playing for him, you're crazy. Change is coming, and it isn't going to be pretty.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:38 PM   #583
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How did those teams fair again? And who was coaching? Suggesting Darryl Sutter's approach as a ####ty general manager is equivalent to his work as a coach, doesn't hold up. Sutter coached teams play a certain style and it requires beef. If you think he's going to be happy about having a bunch of soft midgets playing for him, you're crazy. Change is coming, and it isn't going to be pretty.
But fun for you, ammirite?

And wait - Sutter's coaching doesn't hold up? Ii'd tell him that but his two Stanley Cup rings are in his ears.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 12:55 PM   #584
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I wanted to find out what Panthers fans think of the trade but every hockey forum I go to, there isn't any.

Panthers reddit page on it is all Flames fans stopping by to say they'll miss him
Just ask me. I am pretty much the entire fanbase population.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #585
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Zach Hyman is a pretty effective NHLer. If Heineman can become something in that mold he will at least be an NHL player, which I consider a win.

From what I've read he kind of projects as Sam Bennett but faster and apparently a better shot. I'll take that too.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 01:08 PM   #586
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Let me blow your mind here as to how exactly you are confused.

You keep insinuating that Sutter hockey is smash-mouth hockey. That you need to be big and physical. That Sutter himself wants a big tough team.

Rinaldo - 1 game.
Robinson - 0 games.

Your mind should be blown right now.

Look, there are exactly 31 teams right now that want all their players to be huge, fast, skilled and smart, and who will run through the boards to win a game. It just simply difficult to do. Big players who are really good are difficult to acquire - either in the draft or through trades/UFA signings.

Cheap depth is cheap depth. That's when you can sign guys like Ritchie, Rinaldo and Robinson in the off-season, but that's not going to help you win games, is it?

Francis, Phillips, Pettersson, Pelletier and whomever else is talented enough to play in the NHL will play in the NHL if they compete hard, and help this team win. Sure, I will agree that neither Treliving nor Sutter want a completely under-sized team. Of course not. There isn't a single team in the NHL that wants this either. Hockey is still a contact sport, and size does matter.

Point being, that perhaps you are not realizing what Sutter hockey is if you think there is suddenly a complete 180 on what the Flames are doing. It was actually under his tenure as a GM that the Flames started to identify what to look for in prospects - character, compete, IQ, - nothing about size. That's from Todd Button, BTW. This is still mostly what the Flames identify today.

Notice that Leivo came back into the lineup yesterday? Why wasn't it Rinaldo or Robinson? Surely they are more 'Sutter types' that can play smash-mouth hockey, right? How do you possibly explain that rationale, especially since the trade deadline has passed, Leivo is still here with an expiring contract so he is not being showcased.

Sutter has also praised Ryan a number of times, as well as Mangiapane.

Sutter hockey isn't smash mouth hockey, and you don't need 6'+ only players to be effective. You are seeing this team starting to play more effectively now. The '04 Flames were huge and very physical and smashed everything in sight. That's what they did to be effective since that's what made them effective - everyone for the most part could skate well and hit well. Do you really believe that is something that Sutter demands? How many hits does Ryan have? You know he loves Ryan.

It isn't smashmouth hockey. It just isn't.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 01:15 PM   #587
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

And wait - Sutter's coaching doesn't hold up? Ii'd tell him that but his two Stanley Cup rings are in his ears.
I said you can't equate his work as a GM with that as a coach, because he actually had success as a coach and sucked as a GM, hence the comparison doesn't hold up. Might want to go take a look at the roster of those Stanley Cup championship teams. Both were big and mean. The Flames are neither. Change is a comin'.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 01:16 PM   #588
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who was the smallest player Sutter had on his teams? I'll save you the time.

Calgary Flames 2003-04 - Andrew Ference 5'11, 182
Calgary Flames 2005-06 - Daymond Lankow, 5'10 181
Los Angeles Kings 2011-12 - Scott Parse, 5'11 189
Los Angeles Kings 2012-13 - Mike Richards, 5'11 196
Los Angeles Kings 2013-14 - Mike Richards, 5'11 196
Los Angeles Kings 2014-15 - David Van der Guilk, 5'10 173
Los Angeles Kings 2015-16 - Kris Versteeg, 5'11, 176
Los Angeles Kings 2016-17 - Tyler Tyfolli 6,0 198

This is the smallest team that Sutter has ever coached. It's going to get bigger.

Ryan Francis is 19, 5'9 and 170. IMO it is very likely he could be 5'10 and over 180 by next year if he hits the gym (or eats a few poutines).

Langkow got plenty of playing time under Darryl.
Monahammer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 01:18 PM   #589
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Dictionary
Search for a word

an·he·do·ni·a
/ˌanhēˈdōnēə/

Learn to pronounce
nounPSYCHIATRY
inability to feel pleasure.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:30 PM   #590
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

Ryan Francis is 19, 5'9 and 170. IMO it is very likely he could be 5'10 and over 180 by next year if he hits the gym (or eats a few poutines).

Langkow got plenty of playing time under Darryl.
Daymond Langkow was a warrior and an exceptional 200 foot center that played games while sporting two broken hands....size not the be all end all.

If you compete every shift, are defensively responsible and show offensive acumen Darryl will love you. It doesn't matter what size you are.

He has just happened to have bigger teams when he won lord stanley's cup.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 01:43 PM   #591
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Daymond Langkow was a warrior and an exceptional 200 foot center that played games while sporting two broken hands....size not the be all end all.

If you compete every shift, are defensively responsible and show offensive acumen Darryl will love you. It doesn't matter what size you are.

This is the exact point i was trying to make. Just saying Ryan Francis has no shot to please Darryl or play for his flames because he's 5'9 is a poor take. He's 19, many people continue growing until they're in their early 20s.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:51 PM   #592
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Don't forget all the small/skilled and or "soft" players Darryl acquired as GM:

Tanguay, Huselius, Cammalleri, Nigel Dawes, Tony AMonte, Byron Ritchie, Ian White, Niklas Hagman. There's a bunch more under 6' and under 200lbs that i'm not bothering to include.
Quote:
LOL

You think we should just ignore Sutter's player decisions as a GM, just because he didn't have success as a GM? Do you listen to yourself? Are you that indoctrinated to your own opinions that you are trying to argue that GM Sutter is a different person than coach Sutter?

You are spewing a singular, overly simplified narrative. It's just garbage.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 01:53 PM   #593
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread needs more Jankowski
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:09 PM   #594
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The absence of Janko/Bennett squabbling is going to make the board much more palatable.

But of course it won't take long to find a new young player debate to go in circles on ad nauseum.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #595
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
This is the exact point i was trying to make. Just saying Ryan Francis has no shot to please Darryl or play for his flames because he's 5'9 is a poor take. He's 19, many people continue growing until they're in their early 20s.
Francis will be liked by Sutter if he does make it to the bigs.

Francis plays with a low center of gravity and is very sturdy. He doesn't go out head hunting but he is very good at retrieving pucks along the boards. It's like a sneaky good talent of his.

For Francis to make it to the NHL he doesn't have a huge list of things to work on.

Francis needs to get stronger, he needs to somewhat correct his skating ( not slow just clunky), work on his gaps a little and faceoffs (if he is a center which I doubt he will be in the NHL). He already has a good Hockey IQ and is where he needs to be most of the time.

In all honesty Poirier is going to have a lot harder time making to the NHL than Francis in my opinion. If Poirier doesn't clean up his defensive effort he will never play a game in the NHL.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 02:29 PM   #596
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
The absence of Janko/Bennett squabbling is going to make the board much more palatable.

But of course it won't take long to find a new young player debate to go in circles on ad nauseum.
Heinemania!
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 03:32 PM   #597
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post

Yeah, I am sure Sutter would bend over backwards to get a Marchand or Gallagher. Size often helps though. I always forget Langkow was below average in height. It was never a detriment so not really something I really noticed.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:37 PM   #598
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

If Bennett was drafted in the 3rd round or even 2nd round, I don’t think anyone would complain about him. He just became a symbol of the overall failure of the team in general. I think the Flames have the fewest top 5 picks of any franchise in the past 30 year and the one that we get was a bust for that purpose. It’s hard to get past that. Jankowski being a 1at rounder gets haters for a similar reason.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #599
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
If Bennett was drafted in the 3rd round or even 2nd round, I don’t think anyone would complain about him. He just became a symbol of the overall failure of the team in general. I think the Flames have the fewest top 5 picks of any franchise in the past 30 year and the one that we get was a bust for that purpose. It’s hard to get past that. Jankowski being a 1at rounder gets haters for a similar reason.
Both those players had posters fall completely in love with them because of their draft position as well, and the blame for their poor play always fell on others (coaching, linemates, officiating, etc.). If they had been 3rd rounders, no one would have continually excused them. They would have been held more accountable by those posters.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 03:51 PM   #600
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

An Athletic article has Bennett listed as 26yo. I didn't think he was that old yet, only 24 still. I really hope he can turn his career around in Florida.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote