Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2019, 09:50 AM   #1381
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
Thats like a quarter pound a DAY. That cant be right. Like thats ridiculous. I cant even fathom consuming that much in a day.

If it is infact correct, wow, thats god like consumption.
I'm still blown away that this is possible. Assuming the 80-120g/d is for dry herb (which would work out to 24-36g/day of pure THC based on some very strong 30%wt bud)

Lets start with the 120g/day prescription and lets assume the following. The patient is up for 16 hours a day, that works out to 7.5g/hr. That works out to a 1.25g joint (fair size) every 10 minutes, for 16 hours, straight......

I cant imagine the patient is consuming this much via smoking or even vaporizing. Edibles are possible but I'd imagine you'd have to be a professional baker to put out that much baked goods.

That prescription has to be for oil.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #1382
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I'm not entirely certain what you are getting at. I think you are getting thrown off by the difference between flower and oil, as oil is a byproduct of extraction. Also, ignore what comes from an LP, that is immaterial. They are allowed to sell based on a prescription from a doctor, so if a doctor prescribes 80 GRAMS/day, that's what you can buy (assuming you can afford it). Likely you can't, so the common next step is to apply for a personal grow license from HC based on your prescription. It is not a difficult process either.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...-purposes.html

Typical prescriptions are around 1-3g/day of flower. That is a TYPICAL prescription for things like insomnia, migraines, etc. These are not typical. Cancer patients on Phoenix Tears use around 1000mg/day of oil made up of 70%THC, 10% CBD and 5% CBN (the rest is alcohol) which would require (roughly) 1/2lb (224 grams) of flower to make. Their dosage is high to ingest as much CBN (not CBD) as possible, which only occurs in very small amounts (5% by volume in most strains).

I have seen prescriptions as high as 120 GRAMS/day from a doctor, with an accompanying grow license of well over 400 plants for PERSONAL use. I have never seen an actual grow that size but the licenses YES. I actually just looked at one.

I am also not confusing grams and milligrams. I am quite familiar with the difference, the conversion and the doses.

These exist. It's likely a loophole in Health Canada, it will likely get closed, but they are out there.
Yeah, sorry, this is a whole lot of BS.

For one, “Phoenix Tears” is nonsensical pseudo-science. Second, perusing the website, a treatment on Phoenix tears is 60 grams/60 ml, Rick himself says he’s “even seen people do it in a month.” To get this following his instructions, you would need about 500 grams of dried bud, which could feasibly be achieved with a SINGLE plant, certainly no more than 4, and definitely not 400, and would equate to about 16g of dried bud per day (if you took it all in one month), not 80-120.

The only “doctors” willing to prescribe such outrageous amounts are the “Skype” doctors which should have their licenses revoked. Sure, go ahead and pay some services to help you connect with a shady doctor so you can get 120g/day prescription. Most of the people doing that, however, do not do it for “personal” use, but rather operate as illegal growers.

I’m sorry, but I have no time for people peddling fake cancer treatments, abusing the system, and while I have a little sympathy for the people being tricked into thinking 80g/day is even a logical or useful dosage in any sense whatsoever, I have absolutely none for the idiots prescribing and encouraging that behaviour.

To treat it as anything more than an anomaly is ridiculous, and suggesting it’s legitimacy is no better than naturopaths tricking cancer patients into “spiritual” treatments for cancer. Sorry Tron, you may know “lots” of people with 120g/day prescriptions, but those people should go see an actual doctor before they die.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #1383
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If you don't have grow lights or anything, how is growing one pot plant different than growing a house plant? Am I not aloud to go buy a spider plant without telling my insurer? Surly that couldn't stand up in court.
Surly always stands up in Court!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #1384
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Surly always stands up in Court!

They say you shouldn’t mix alcohol with cannabis but perhaps if Surly took a couple of puffs maybe he wouldn’t be so surly
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:13 PM   #1385
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah, sorry, this is a whole lot of BS.

For one, “Phoenix Tears” is nonsensical pseudo-science. Second, perusing the website, a treatment on Phoenix tears is 60 grams/60 ml, Rick himself says he’s “even seen people do it in a month.” To get this following his instructions, you would need about 500 grams of dried bud, which could feasibly be achieved with a SINGLE plant, certainly no more than 4, and definitely not 400, and would equate to about 16g of dried bud per day (if you took it all in one month), not 80-120.

The only “doctors” willing to prescribe such outrageous amounts are the “Skype” doctors which should have their licenses revoked. Sure, go ahead and pay some services to help you connect with a shady doctor so you can get 120g/day prescription. Most of the people doing that, however, do not do it for “personal” use, but rather operate as illegal growers.

I’m sorry, but I have no time for people peddling fake cancer treatments, abusing the system, and while I have a little sympathy for the people being tricked into thinking 80g/day is even a logical or useful dosage in any sense whatsoever, I have absolutely none for the idiots prescribing and encouraging that behaviour.

To treat it as anything more than an anomaly is ridiculous, and suggesting it’s legitimacy is no better than naturopaths tricking cancer patients into “spiritual” treatments for cancer. Sorry Tron, you may know “lots” of people with 120g/day prescriptions, but those people should go see an actual doctor before they die.
Not sure if you are accusing me of "peddling" something (I'm not, I'm simply pointing out the process and the numbers) but if you are indeed accusing me of it you might want to re-read what I wrote.

I know people with these prescriptions. Where did I say they were all cancer patients? Did you even read ALL my posts before going off on your rant? I used it as an example for a theoretic need for the prescription when people (you included) said there was "zero chance" these exist. You are wrong. End of story. These prescriptions, although not common, are available. If you want to get all bent out of shape at it go right ahead, I really don't care.

If you want to go over the "numbers" to get to the THC levels to justify the amounts/day and debate that feel free. You might want to brush up on flower THC levels, types of solvent and corresponding yields, as well as yields running winterized oils to create distillates. If you don't understand that then I'm sorry, your numbers are nonsense. To create 60g of 100% THC (6000ml) you need a LOT more that 500g of bud, unless you somehow know more than the multi million dollar labs on the coast currently doing this?
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:21 PM   #1386
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
I'm still blown away that this is possible. Assuming the 80-120g/d is for dry herb (which would work out to 24-36g/day of pure THC based on some very strong 30%wt bud)

Lets start with the 120g/day prescription and lets assume the following. The patient is up for 16 hours a day, that works out to 7.5g/hr. That works out to a 1.25g joint (fair size) every 10 minutes, for 16 hours, straight......

I cant imagine the patient is consuming this much via smoking or even vaporizing. Edibles are possible but I'd imagine you'd have to be a professional baker to put out that much baked goods.

That prescription has to be for oil.
Again, read my posts.

There are only 2 reasons you "need" one of these prescriptions. Fill in the blanks.

If anyone doubts they exist I'm willing to wager whatever you want to prove it. I suggest you only wager what you are willing to lose though.

If people want to get obtuse about their legitimacy like a few others in here go nuts. I suggest people upset about it lobby Health Canada though, because I really don't care what peoples opinions are on them, other than pointing out that they are available from *gasp* real doctors.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #1387
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I took 250mg of THC all at once a few weeks back. Felt like I was in a serious psychosis.

Found the line, crossed it, never going back lol
What??? Oh my god dude! How did that happen haha.. That's like drinking an entire keg of beer to yourself in one shot.

Glad you came out of it in one piece!
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #1388
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I know people with these prescriptions. Where did I say they were all cancer patients? Did you even read ALL my posts before going off on your rant? I used it as an example for a theoretic need for the prescription when people (you included) said there was "zero chance" these exist. You are wrong. End of story. These prescriptions, although not common, are available. If you want to get all bent out of shape at it go right ahead, I really don't care.

If you want to go over the "numbers" to get to the THC levels to justify the amounts/day and debate that feel free. You might want to brush up on flower THC levels, types of solvent and corresponding yields, as well as yields running winterized oils to create distillates. If you don't understand that then I'm sorry, your numbers are nonsense. To create 60g of 100% THC (6000ml) you need a LOT more that 500g of bud, unless you somehow know more than the multi million dollar labs on the coast currently doing this?
You’re all over the place. Of course there are million dollars labs creating 99+% THCa crystalline, but what does that have to do with home growers or the original conversation of insurance companies noting a material change. Absolutely, if you have 300+ plants and a lab, you’re not a “home grower” doing it for “personal use.”

You stated that 1/2 lb of bud was required for 1g of 70% oil, this is not true, and to illustrate this in the most simple terms: the market value for 224g of dried flower is 1500-2000 dollars, the market value for 1g of oil at the strength you suggested? $100, tops. Why do you think that is? Just from a financial perspective, do you really think licensed producers and labs are into destroying that much value?

I’m sorry, and I really don’t think you have even the slightest idea about realistic dosage, home growing, and professional production of concentrates (or the limits of home production). A lot of your information and things you’ve referenced seems sourced from the grey market, and that’s a dangerous place to peddle info from.

It’s in everyone’s best interest to seek out REAL doctors (not folks you connect with online), and get real information. Do not listen to someone suggesting it is good, normal, or even acceptable to be consuming these insane levels of THC each day.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:02 PM   #1389
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
You’re all over the place. Of course there are million dollars labs creating 99+% THCa crystalline, but what does that have to do with home growers or the original conversation of insurance companies noting a material change. Absolutely, if you have 300+ plants and a lab, you’re not a “home grower” doing it for “personal use.”

You stated that 1/2 lb of bud was required for 1g of 70% oil, this is not true, and to illustrate this in the most simple terms: the market value for 224g of dried flower is 1500-2000 dollars, the market value for 1g of oil at the strength you suggested? $100, tops. Why do you think that is? Just from a financial perspective, do you really think licensed producers and labs are into destroying that much value?

I’m sorry, and I really don’t think you have even the slightest idea about realistic dosage, home growing, and professional production of concentrates (or the limits of home production). A lot of your information and things you’ve referenced seems sourced from the grey market, and that’s a dangerous place to peddle info from.

It’s in everyone’s best interest to seek out REAL doctors (not folks you connect with online), and get real information. Do not listen to someone suggesting it is good, normal, or even acceptable to be consuming these insane levels of THC each day.
GGG posted a comment saying that a 300 plant operation was for business purposes. I noted that that's not legally correct; prescriptions exist that cover much more than that for personal use.

I have stated repeatedly 1lb of dried flower will produce approx 18g of 70% distillate. I don't know why you are arguing that either, other than it somehow ties into your (incorrect) math assumption on finances, which is irrelevant.

I'm not peddling anything. I'm simply supplying you with facts. I don't really care if you think I know what I am talking about when it comes to concentrates etc, because I have nothing to prove to you. I have explained things to you the best I know how; if you don't accept it then that's fine as well.

And please show me where I suggested it was a good idea to consume anything. I pointed out a reason for a high prescription that was issued by a physician. Suggesting I am trying to influence someone to use some type of alternative treatment for a serious disease is actually incredibly offensive to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #1390
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Okay, I've had a few different types now, but the one that I highly recommend as borderline magically pleasant is this:

Brand: DNA

Name: Lemon Skunk

Strain: Hybrid

Description: cannabis oil softgels microdose

Size: 2.5 mg

2.50 mg THC per capsule; 0.70 mg CBD

Based on the very interesting life I believe Sliver leads, I was compelled to buy these to see if it leads to the purchase of a Rascal or an objectively superior home on a lake! I might throw a garage party after taking these!

Just kidding Sliver - I hope these are good; never done cannabis oils or pills before!

BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigNumbers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #1391
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

There is a whole lot of arguing happening but one thing is for sure...

When you have a prescription and your bottle of oil says “buying this is equivilant to buying 6g of bud” or whatever, that’s literally a made up number to fit in the prescription. That is not how much fresh bud they used to make that bottle. It’s how they have decided to count it.

Also, the “value” of fresh bud is made up and the mark up on legal pot is astronomical. Of course they can sell it for significantly less and turn a profit... the guys running from the law and paying for lawyers are selling it for less. And their product is better.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:44 PM   #1392
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Based on the very interesting life I believe Sliver leads, I was compelled to buy these to see if it leads to the purchase of a Rascal or an objectively superior home on a lake! I might throw a garage party after taking these!

Just kidding Sliver - I hope these are good; never done cannabis oils or pills before!

Post your thoughts here! Lemon Skunk is also one I really enjoy (dried flower form though). Would be interesting to see how the oil compares.

Just a really pleasant, uplifting strain.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #1393
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Post your thoughts here! Lemon Skunk is also one I really enjoy (dried flower form though). Would be interesting to see how the oil compares.

Just a really pleasant, uplifting strain.
I took two (so 5mg total). Not sure I noticed much... Maybe a bit of a mellow high? Might jump to 10mg another night.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:32 AM   #1394
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
I took two (so 5mg total). Not sure I noticed much... Maybe a bit of a mellow high? Might jump to 10mg another night.
I bought some as well. I took the first one on an empty stomach and got a nice buzz, but after I ate, it was gone. Took a couple more and got a mild buzz. I think two is the starting point for an adult, and probably four for a good buzz.

To be noted, these are the 2.5 mg, same as yours, but they're also available in 10 mg.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #1395
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah, one thing to keep in mind is my recommendation on these was to Troutman based on what seemed to be his limited cannabis experience. I'm enjoying these as a mild pleasant buzz. You can still hang with your family, do stuff, etc. and not be a space case or be weird. Literally like having one or two beers (feel something sometimes; other times nothing) per 2.5mg. Two capsules gives me a nice easy grin and I'm quicker to laugh. But I could also be perfectly normal at my inlaws house for dinner. It's also a nice base layer of buzz on which you can add by smoking/vaping or drinking. Sort of keep yourself in the sweet spot for several hours versus an instant up followed by a crash/burn-out you get by smoking a joint.

If you're looking to get fataed up, microdosing isn't your guy. I have a recommendation for you on some high THC oil I have that will most definitely do the trick. You'll be laying there drooling with paralyzed limbs. SYMBL High THC Oil will mess you up and I bought mine off albertacannabis.org. It packs a punch.

All that said, I'm still just messing around with this stuff like everyone else. At first I tried to keep a journal when experimenting with oils right after legalization. Logged my dosage, empty/full stomach, activity, how I felt. But it became pointless. You could have the same amount two times in a row with seemingly everything else accounted for and have totally different reactions. I think oil is just weird that way. It's fun to mess with, though. I was never really into scotch or wine, so I guess this is my thing like that. Have a great little collection of different things and almost without fail they're all pretty good.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #1396
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Likely the reason you are experiencing different highs in edibles or oil is because it is very hard to get the THC into solution to have an exact, consistent dose. THC oil (and when I say oil I mean a concentrate, not mixed oil from an LP) as well as distillates (different than oil, these have been run through a short path distillation process) are not water soluble. This is why they are mixed with MCT oil and not water. If you put these oils into water they float in "bubbles".

I spoke with a lab guy last week out of the USA who manufactures hundreds of thousands of gummies, and they were spraying the gummies with distillate. That was the only way they can get the dose consistent. I had never heard of it, but it makes sense.

That's also why I more or less stuck to flower. Way easier to control the dose.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #1397
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, one thing to keep in mind is my recommendation on these was to Troutman based on what seemed to be his limited cannabis experience. I'm enjoying these as a mild pleasant buzz. You can still hang with your family, do stuff, etc. and not be a space case or be weird. Literally like having one or two beers (feel something sometimes; other times nothing) per 2.5mg. Two capsules gives me a nice easy grin and I'm quicker to laugh. But I could also be perfectly normal at my inlaws house for dinner. It's also a nice base layer of buzz on which you can add by smoking/vaping or drinking. Sort of keep yourself in the sweet spot for several hours versus an instant up followed by a crash/burn-out you get by smoking a joint.

If you're looking to get fataed up, microdosing isn't your guy. I have a recommendation for you on some high THC oil I have that will most definitely do the trick. You'll be laying there drooling with paralyzed limbs. SYMBL High THC Oil will mess you up and I bought mine off albertacannabis.org. It packs a punch.

All that said, I'm still just messing around with this stuff like everyone else. At first I tried to keep a journal when experimenting with oils right after legalization. Logged my dosage, empty/full stomach, activity, how I felt. But it became pointless. You could have the same amount two times in a row with seemingly everything else accounted for and have totally different reactions. I think oil is just weird that way. It's fun to mess with, though. I was never really into scotch or wine, so I guess this is my thing like that. Have a great little collection of different things and almost without fail they're all pretty good.
I'm still trying to work out my tolerance for capsules. I think part of the issue I have now is I stopped taking prescription ppi for stomach acid which causes me to absorb quicker than before. I bought a lower does than some potent ones I had that were fine but didn't allow me to be functional and I find the lower dose I got to be just as bad. Maybe I will check these out as I'm looking for a semi regular that keeps me functional with the others for special occasions.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #1398
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You deff have the right idea going low and working your way up rather than risking a bad high, but yeah 5mg is very low. I think you'd be fine moving up to 10 (or higher, but good place to go next)
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:34 PM   #1399
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Same here. I took one, after about 2-3 hours didn't feel much so took another and an hour after that I felt it a bit but got a headache and then it made me tired so I went to bed. Maybe just wasn't in the mood.

I'll try starting with 2 right off the start next time and see what happens
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #1400
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would say you need at least 15mg to feel much of anything, even as a 1st timer.

You might feel something with the lower doses, but nothing that would really give you the experience of being "stoned."

The lower doses tend to be used to activate a higher CBD dose.