Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:
Default Speaker/Receiver question

I just bought a sound system for the first time. I've always just listened to The TV through the TV speakers.

So I set up my 5 speakers through my receiver, set up the sub and everything seemed to work well. I was playing around with the sound settings on my Xbox one and set the sound to surround. Games and movies sound way better but my cable (shaw) seems to only come out of the right speaker.

So my setup is PVR to Xbox One via HDMI. Then XBox to receiver via HDMI (video) and optical for sound then HDMI to TV.

Is there something I need to configure for only the shaw PVR?

Swayze11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any reason you are bothering to do HDMI to the XBox and Optical out? For one, Optical can't handle higher resolution signals. HDMI is required to get Dolby Digital Plus, DTS HD and TrueHD formats. It would be better to just go straight from the PVR to the receiver.

Try this regardless of config: Turn your PVR box off (but leave everything you would use to watch TV on), and use the PVR remote (not a Logitech or universal if you have one) and press the "MENU" button once. This should bring up the OSD (on-screen display) of your PVR box and from there you can set it to 5.1 or Dolby Digital or whatever depending on your model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 12:41 AM   #3
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am not sure I understand this. Digital Optical out is for audio only and has more than enough bandwidth to transport this audio and is far cleaner then the HDMI protocols because there is no processing overtop the transmission. I know, I have a similar setup similar. Your speaker quality, pre-pro's and amplifiers will make the difference with the signal. The DSP's going in these processors are backwards compatible in a huge way. The Dolby protocols are backwards compatible, so if it works when he is playing games it should work while watching TV through the same device.

I think he is passing through his cable to his XBone to snap cable while playing games. You should also be able to maintain your passthrough and directly hook your cable to receiver via hdmi connection on top of pass through on the xbox, but I am not sure. The true test here would be to hook your shaw box directly to the receiver and see if you get the same results of sound only on the right.

Next change audio settings, next call shaw cable support :-)

I am thinking there may be a potential problem with the XBone one pass through port, or the cable isn't fully pushed in.

Last edited by calgarywinning; 01-22-2014 at 12:47 AM.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 04:07 AM   #4
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Check out this support article. http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-o...nd-not-working

Quote:
Support for digital surround sound from your cable or satellite box is currently available as a beta. By default, only stereo sound will be received.

Follow these steps to enable digital surround sound:

From Home, say “Xbox, go to Settings” or select the Settings tile from My games & apps.
Select TV & OneGuide.
Select Troubleshooting.
Select the Surround Sound (BETA) option.
Note Your Xbox One can produce digital surround sound for games and Blu-ray or DVD movies. Only the digital audio pass-through from your cable or satellite box is in beta
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oilyfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
I am not sure I understand this. Digital Optical out is for audio only and has more than enough bandwidth to transport this audio and is far cleaner then the HDMI protocols because there is no processing overtop the transmission.
It's not a matter of bandwidth, it's HDCP handshake requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

My receiver is fairly old and does not support audio via HDMI. This may be the problem?

Thanks for the replies, I will try these suggestions tonight.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't know they made HDMI-in receivers without HDMI-audio support.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Success!

I am not sure what fixed it but it might have been a combination of PsYcNeT and oilyfan's suggestions.

I checked that box on the XBone and I went through the settings on the PVR and turned Dolby on and set the audio to passthrough.

Thanks guys!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post: