Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-07-2021, 02:10 PM   #61
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
I think I speak for common sense when I say Adam Fox's decision had nothing to do with our defense corps and everything to with playing for the New York Rangers at 22.

I don't agree with Fox's decision and will never enjoy his success as a hockey fan because I think Calgary is a great city and who knows what kind of happiness he could of found here had he just given it a chance. There's a big world outside your NE US bubble dude.
It's certainly possible. But here's a guy who crushed it in his first year of college. Forcing him to wait 4 whole years to play in the NHL when he knew was NHL ready might've been such a difficult pill for him to swallow that maybe he signs after year 3. Throw in a $92k signing bonus and a chance to play in a top 4 position and maybe he could've been enticed to stay. I don't know, guess there's no point in dwelling about it since he's a Ranger now. Screw him.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 02:14 PM   #62
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post
Well Calgary has always been home to me even though I spend majority of my time outside of it travelling due to business. Usually after 2 months away, I get a huge pang of home sickness and I have to make a trip back home. I guess that's because my entire family is in Calgary. As they say - there are amazing parts of the world - but no place like home. Who knows that his family dynamic/structure is like. He's a smart dude who went to Harvard. Have to respect him for that. He said his degree was one of his priorities. Seems like a pretty driven dude who understood the system and the rules and played them to reach his "goals".

I hate it as a Flames fan but I blame the game rather than the player. He didn't act outside of the rules and he gave the Flames enough notice so that they didn't lose him for nothing. Wish him the best of luck.
True, but every player could decide to play at home when they become UFA. See Johnny (likely). He gave back to the team that invested and believed in him a whole lot, and and there's no doubt he gained so much from being away from Jersey and forging a path out in Western Canada. That's why no one gives him flack for likely wanting to leave the Flames, because he paid his dues here and people respect him for showing up.

Just feels ignorant to me on Fox's end and a lack of respect for the fans here and the city, as if we're not good enough for his expensive tastes. But that's just my opinion. After all its his life and he should be able to do whatever he wants.
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:17 PM   #63
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Just feels ignorant to me on Fox's end and a lack of respect for the fans here and the city, as if we're not good enough for his expensive tastes. But that's just my opinion. After all its his life and he should be able to do whatever he wants.
Yeah - I get that. That's why I wrote my second post at the bottom of the previous page.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:30 PM   #64
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

because he did what's best for him within the rules of the drafting framework, how is that disrespecting the city and the fans? Besides, why should he make a life decision on what fans might think of him?

I'm sure he has no problem with Calgary other than that he didn't want to play there.

Hockey hasn't been a game for a long time. It's a business and he made a good business decision.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:30 PM   #65
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
He does lead in the most important category according to voters:

Spoiler!
I know the chart is tongue in cheek but you can make arguments for both skaters. The points thing is neat I guess, but Fox has a grand total of 3 more points, playing 1 more game than Hedman. Not really a big difference. Hedman has 2 GWG to Fox's 1, Hedman plays more minutes, scored more goals.

There's arguments for both. When Lidstrom was winning his Norris trophies year after year he didn't win them because he just had more points, he won because voters thought he was the best all around d-man. Hedman is no Lidstrom, but I believe that's the rational voters will use. Hedman is the best all around d-man this season, will win, and Fox will finish 2nd in voting after a terrific season. IMO of course.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:39 PM   #66
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Generally speaking the more established guy wins it, but Fox seems to have some story momentum, and journalists (who vote for this thing) can sometimes be suckers for a good story. Fox winning would be a lot better story than Hedman winning. That's why I think Fox has a small chance of upsetting the norm of people voting for the more established guy.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:42 PM   #67
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Just so everyone is on the same page about why he wanted to play in New York... he was born there. Technically the Islanders would be his hometown team, but given his age, it's easy to understand why he chose the Blueshirts instead.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:47 PM   #68
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too bad Cale Makar didn't hold out so he could play for Calgary.

Not many pro athletes forego a pro contract for years so they can start their career with their childhood team.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:49 PM   #69
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkov View Post
Darnell nurse should win lol jk

Hey David Staples.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:51 PM   #70
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

TOI Comparison

Spoiler!

Essentially, Adam Fox is a 23 year-old Victor Hedman, without the advantage of Hedman's experience and size.

Last edited by FanIn80; 05-07-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:24 PM   #71
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awards are hard this year with teams only playing a handful of other teams. Rangers lit up the Flyers when they played 17 games in 30 days with terrible goal tending.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:56 PM   #72
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Also Johnny Gaudreau is a class act who recognized the importance of showing loyalty to the team that chose to draft you.
The Flames had to give up basically a year of ELC though - that’s worth something.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 05:04 PM   #73
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

When the Rangers playoff life was at stake and they had 2 head to head game with the Islanders to make it...they scored 1 goal in those two games and got their ass thoroughly kicked.

They completely choked when the games meant anything.

They're worse than McDavid where they rack up points and score in bunches in games that mean nothing and they're basically already eliminated. When anything is at stake they get their ass whooped hard.

Fata Fox, he put's up pretty points, but he's a loser. Hedman wins, Theodore and Makar are also in the mix because they're winners. Fox is not.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:15 PM   #74
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Just so everyone is on the same page about why he wanted to play in New York... he was born there. Technically the Islanders would be his hometown team, but given his age, it's easy to understand why he chose the Blueshirts instead.
When players picks their destination at that age some thing is wrong with the system and that's not a great thing for hockey markets that are not Rangers etc. of the world.

(Flames have had a couple of these situations i.e. Tim Erixon)
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:25 PM   #75
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Too bad Cale Makar didn't hold out so he could play for Calgary.

Not many pro athletes forego a pro contract for years so they can start their career with their childhood team.
Like I said in my previous post - that's because most top end players would rather play in the US. It's simply a better country for rich people. Most rich Canadians end up taking their talents to the US.

I'm not the same as a hockey player. Not even close but I get paid about 50% more for my profession in the US than I do in Canada. That's without taking into account the USD --> CAD Fx rate.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:36 PM   #76
Roger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I find it pathetic that so many grown men are bitter at a young man for plotting out and achieving his dream, with integrity, in a world that will chew you up and spit you out. This is like being mad at the girl you asked to the prom, who said yes, and showed up, for not subsequently marrying you. Meanwhile, the E=NG thread is riddled with mocking McDavid for choosing to stay with the team that drafted him.

Adam Fox owes the Calgary Flames, and the fans, nothing. Please excuse the Harvard educated man for abiding by NHL drafting rules, to get to where he wanted to be, as soon as he could. Should he apologize for using his brain, or do we expect hockey players to buy in to some kind of Stockholm Syndrome?

Not many people want to live in Detroit, but for a long time, many hockey players did. If you want to be mad, be mad at our mediocre/crap team for not being a destination. That might have swayed Fox into wanting to stay. As it was, was before that, still is, and probably will be for the next bunch of years, there is no reason for a talent like that to give up his dreams and decide to play in Calgary, simply because we scratched a lotto ticket.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Roger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 05:45 PM   #77
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

He also bailed on Carolina and Calgary was better than NYR at the time.

He didn't bail to go to a good team.

Most players have to go to the team that drafts them...NHL should fix the loophole. Not for the Flames but for everyone.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:51 PM   #78
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

To be clear I'm not saying he should have been allowed to pick his team, but the rules allow for it, and he literally chose to play for his home team.

If I was in his shoes and for some reason was allowed to pick which team I play for, then I would 100% choose to play for the Flames no matter who had drafted me.

Should he have been allowed to choose? No.
Do I fault him for picking the Rags? No.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:46 PM   #79
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Why in the blue hell shouldn't an adult be allowed to choose who they work for? Because we are fans of the laundry the hockey team in Calgary wears? Idiotic.

The draft itself is an archaic idea. The notion that capable adults are required to enter into unbreakable contracts if they wish to work in a specific industry is completely bonkers. The draft as a whole practice should be done away with.

Give teams an annual rookie salary cap. The lowest performing teams from the previous season get the largest amount of rookie money they are able to spend. Then it works the same way free-agency does.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 07:55 PM   #80
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
His family was NYR season ticket holders when he was growing up.

Calgary rolled the dice on him with a 3rd round pick, unlike a lot of 3rd picks, he happened to turn out... if he didn't no one would care.

I am pretty confident in saying if Calgary didn't expend a 3rd pick, Fox would have been picked in the 4 rounds left.... and its not like Calgary developed him. Harvard hockey did. The US NTDP did....

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 05-07-2021 at 08:03 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote