Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #81
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
btimbit: guy who seems to know about guns, also understands risk and the low probability of a bear attack, waltzing through the forest living his best life.

Envitro: guy who has a military fetish, carrying his tricked out Defender with pistol grips, thinks bears have special forces attack abilities, has dreams of shooting a bear down in front of his kids.
Wow, thanks for making so many wild assumptions there bruh...

Most times, my kids aren't with me when I'm out hunting or scouting, so just chill out with that whole line of reasoning.

Secondly, where do you get off accusing me of having a military fetish???

I've been a competitive athlete my whole life, and shooting sports are just another set of sports that I compete in, along with soccer, volleyball, basketball and hockey. Doesn't mean that I want to be Rambo or whatever the f*** you think this is.

Educate yourself first before speaking. You sure think that people like me are white trash rednecks or something. That's how you come off...
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Envitro For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 12:10 PM   #82
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I hear a story like this I always think of that bear whisperer guy that got so bold he started camping out where brown bears would fish for their pre-hibernation meals only to become a pre-hibernation meal. As someone said earlier in the thread, bears terrify me and it's one of the reasons I don't like hiking.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:14 PM   #83
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If I need a cohort to cruise the woods with I am choosing Envitro, sorry btimbit.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:14 PM   #84
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Wow, thanks for making so many wild assumptions there bruh...

Most times, my kids aren't with me when I'm out hunting or scouting, so just chill out with that whole line of reasoning.

Secondly, where do you get off accusing me of having a military fetish???

I've been a competitive athlete my whole life, and shooting sports are just another set of sports that I compete in, along with soccer, volleyball, basketball and hockey. Doesn't mean that I want to be Rambo or whatever the f*** you think this is.

Educate yourself first before speaking. You sure think that people like me are white trash rednecks or something. That's how you come off...
I'm just being an ass.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:15 PM   #85
JJolg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
When I hear a story like this I always think of that bear whisperer guy that got so bold he started camping out where brown bears would fish for their pre-hibernation meals only to become a pre-hibernation meal. As someone said earlier in the thread, bears terrify me and it's one of the reasons I don't like hiking.
The self proclaimed grizzly man Timothy Treadwell, there was definitely something wrong with him mentally which made that documentary hard to watch

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
JJolg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JJolg For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 12:19 PM   #86
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm just being an ass.
All good, me too.

Let's just all remember to be safe out there in the wild. After all we're stepping into their domain...
Old 05-07-2021, 12:20 PM   #87
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I believe this is the third north america fatality from bears already this year. Not the kind of start you like to see.
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #88
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotinthebacklund View Post
I believe this is the third north america fatality from bears already this year. Not the kind of start you like to see.
Let's not overreact. That's basically nothing in the scope of things. Driving out to the trail is about 2004095 times more dangerous than walking on the trail.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:23 PM   #89
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
As a member of the Brotherhood of Real Trolls, you would know best.
Maybe avoid coming up with fantasy group names and stick to the posts where you awkwardly walk back something dumb while complaining about how unfair everyone is. Stick to what you know, you know?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #90
JJolg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Let's not overreact. That's basically nothing in the scope of things. Driving out to the trail is about 2004095 times more dangerous than walking on the trail.
I had a good chat with a F&W officer about just this and his take was for all the people out in the forest the amount of incidents compared to recreational activities such as kayaking or atving is really very very small

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
JJolg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJolg For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 12:26 PM   #91
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Maybe avoid coming up with fantasy group names and stick to the posts where you awkwardly walk back something dumb while complaining about how unfair everyone is. Stick to what you know, you know?
I forgot you also like to role-play as thread cop here, too. Aren't you missing out on endlessly harassing Cliff somewhere?
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 12:36 PM   #92
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guy gets killed by a bear.. Peter12 makes the thread all about himself. Classic
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 01:05 PM   #93
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Do you guys hike with bear bangers? I just have bear spray right now, but maybe I should get some bangers, too. They also seem kind of fun, so there's that.

Bear Bangers? Tell me more...this sounds like something I'd be interested in post-lockdown
Old 05-07-2021, 01:13 PM   #94
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yes and? whats your point? who is overreacting?
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:23 PM   #95
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
The only good bear is a dead bear.
That’s ridiculous. Bears are great. Be careful in the wild. I’ve encountered them while I’ve been hiking and mountain biking. I’ve never felt these encounters were dangerous.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:36 PM   #96
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
That’s ridiculous. Bears are great. Be careful in the wild. I’ve encountered them while I’ve been hiking and mountain biking. I’ve never felt these encounters were dangerous.
I agree, I think they're awesome, smart, curious and majestic animals. I don't hunt bear since I don't eat bear meat, so I really don't want to see one get hurt unnecessarily.

Love to look at them from afar. I had a pretty cool encounter during last year's elk hunting season in the Rockies with a gigantic cinnamon colour-phase black bear. Was probably close to 1000 lbs, no joke.

I was sitting on top of a mountain ridge, glassing the other mountain face, and saw him pop out of the woods right where I was watching. Over the next few hours he meandered over to my mountain and was making his way up towards me, although he was not aware that I was even there since I was downwind of him. I grabbed my rifle just in case, and called my hunting buddy over. We watched him get closer and closer, and when he was about 75 yards down from us (keep in mind we're on top of a rock cliff face, and he's coming more or less straight up towards us) we tossed a rock tumbling down the side of the mountain thinking that it would scare him and make him run away.

Sure enough that's exactly what happened, and we all went on our with our day. I managed to take some video of the bear when he was at the bottom of our mountain-side, but from afar it's definitely not as impressive. When he was close to us it was obvious how giant this bear was, with lots and lots of fat reserves already stored up for the coming winter. This was in late September last year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Envitro For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 01:38 PM   #97
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

The funniest encounter I ever had with a bear was up in Northern BC. Pretty young bear came galloping out of the woods maybe 20m in front of us, had clearly not seen us or heard us even though I think we were making plenty of noise. As soon as he catches sight of us, he basically jams his back legs into the ground and skids to a halt in front of us, all the while with an expression like a frightened Scooby-Doo. It was amazing, like a cartoon.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 02:58 PM   #98
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Safest place to be in the woods/world/ forum is on Peter12’s high horse.
This is known.

If the poor professor (RIP) was jogging the encounter may have been to quick to deploy any defensive measures.

Hard to go jogging with a shotgun and even bear spray could be considered an inconvenience by some.
Some information from David's family suggested that the wounds inferred that death was instantaneous.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 03:15 PM   #99
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I really hope this page doesn't start ranking on Google for this gentlemen's name. 3 or 4 posts of condolences and another 90+ of stupid in-fighting.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 04:29 PM   #100
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As a member of the Brotherhood of Real Trolls, you would know best.
My son is also named Bort
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post: